Soft Parts Shoes For Armor Boots, Update 9-25-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow i seen the crocs boots where i work the other day, looks like im getting them now.

BTW, im contacting SmoothOn for a good high wear rubber to use for soles. if i can find something feasible ill be trying to make molded soles.

the key is making a smooth boot bottom, thats hinged so the boot will flex when you walk. still working on that idea.

Good finds everyone.

BRI- Thumbs up for being the first to try them, ill be watching this thread.

My God it's been forever since I started this small project...

Anyway, Ive finally got the boots half modified (still have to do some stitching/sewing) and the boot pep glassed and ready to bondo. The following pictures will be explained to the full extent of my knowledge.

P9250010.jpg

^ Ze Boot. Scaled to 17cm they look freakin massive on me but they will look right with the rest of my armor so it's all good. As long as I wear like 3 layers of socks I wont be sliding all over the place in the underboot (crocs).

P9250011.jpg

^Front View. The empty space within the walls of the boot armor will be very thickly layered once I mold it and the rest of the space will be filled with expanding foam.

P9250012.jpg

^Bottom. This shows you how tight the fit is between the glassed pep and the croc, it's actually so tight that when i shove the croc in there and let it blow out to its full form it locks itself into place as you can see (no shifting, yay). When molding I will be modifying my croc alittle bit more by shaving away some of the excess rubber to again make a tight seal with the outcoming cast.

P9250013.jpg

^ The modified Croc boot. There is enough height to the rubber that I can have the shin pieces sit on top of it and look cannon.

P9250014.jpg

^I cut down the middle halfway so I could close the boots opening by 3 inches, I was practically swimming in these boots and when walkin I would actually walk OUT of them lol. Also, the opening of the boot was much wider than the glassed pep so I had to modify the croc opening to just fit the pep, now it locks perfectly centered from the top and the bottom of the heel piece.

There will be mre updates once I get the crocs cleaned up and the boots ready for molding...it shouldnt take that long for my next post.

P.S. Now that I look at it, it seems the croc boots were modified to look exactly like military style boots (what most people here use) and that I just wasted 5 minutes of my time measuring and cutting these ones up...but then again I'll never have to worry about having my shoe laces come untied :D

what areyou all using for the sole of the armored portion? i know our merchant marine friend :thorsolli" (cant spell it) has a sole.

im woried abtou the fiberglass bottoms breaking, snapping, or SLIDING me across a floor so i fall off the map, i mean fall down.

I'm gonna use my crocs soles.... I have a brilliant idea that i will put into play once I get my boot molded and cast.

Gooberz said:
You could buy some budget jungle boots ($10-20 at an army surplus store) and cut vertically up the ankle, and sew in a zipper. You know, like Paratrooper Zip boots.
Thats how much mine were when I got em new :p

I have to get something else for my armor though cus somone stole them from my sports locker. (They were there with my BDUs for raiders.)

I'll have to get in touch with the SAI at my old school and see if he can order me a pair or too when he orders them for his raider team....

I'll keep an eye on your croc project...

Jax you might try something like plastidip or samething on the bottom....

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of military style boots that have zippers on the side, saving you the effort of tieing them. What it reall comes down to is how you plan to mount the armor to the boot. Almost all the zip up military boots I've seen have had the zipper on the inside of the ankle if thats any help.

Bates Durashock boots, $17 from the navy's uniform reclaim buildings.
bates-navy-durashock-steel-1.gif

I think these look like ODST boots.

Spartan 051 said:
you could always go with the high speed oalkey boots

Little expensive at 130 but look unreal

http://mi.oakley.com/images/catalog/genera....jpg?1190051115

Dead link.

Anyways, I think that comfort is crutial, so the Crocs are on point.

But, I am also a man of functionality, and therefor I have purchased THIS BOOT

The Rocky 2095 Para-boot. It's water-proof, tread-tastice, and has a zipper that goes ally the way from the bottom of the boot to the top, so that you can get in and out, even with the chief armor on.

Great boot, especially for the price.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
WEll like I said before military stle boots are made so that they are really difficult to slip in and out of so it wouldnt matter what kind of laces you have lol. Im still totally leaning towards the Croc Boots..... that way I can permanently fix the armor boots over the crocs and they are waterproof and comfortable and are easy to get in and out of and since they are Crocs, they are easy to modify with a knive/scissors.

I'm gonna try it once I get a pair and I'll be posting about them here .... maybe this will be the answer to all our Boot problems?

You can get military boots that have zippers on the side Converse sells a pair of them on a site call U.S. Calvary

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=9666&TabID=1&cs=1

Out of curiosity...why would you need to slip these on and off? The MC suit isn't exactly leisure wear.

Personally I'd think that tactical boots would be ideal since they're high up the leg, provide lots of support (for lots of standing) and more generally just look the part.

Whatever you get make sure you get something supportive and comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back