Shotgun W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwege441

I just joined the 405th and wanted to share something I've been working on.

I've only made 2 things from pep files so far (i just got into it, the Recon helmet being the first thing) and I havnt seen anyone actually complete the shotgun from halo so i decided to take on the challenge. Let me tell you its not easy AT ALL. I've had major problems with warping and pieces not fitting right. I've had to make some of my own pieces and cut and glue parts in wrong places on purpose so it would turn out straight. I'm almost done just a few more things to add on and so far it looks to be turning out well, nice and straight too!

And yes i resined the butt plate to make it rigid to prevent warping as i constructed the rest of the body. Although hollow i do have some ideas as to how to harden it.

That looks nice. Weapons are very hard to make, and I doubt I'll ever be doing a weapon again unless I'm molding it.

City Static said:
That looks nice. Weapons are very hard to make, and I doubt I'll ever be doing a weapon again unless I'm molding it.
looks awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated picture. Finished pep model and light coat of resin.

shotty3.jpg

any advice or feedback is great im still new to this stuff

would using a really light like .75 oz fiberglass cloth to fiberglass this from the outside work? Like the kind from hobby shops?

mwege441 said:
would using a really light like .75 oz fiberglass cloth to fiberglass this from the outside work? Like the kind from hobby shops?

You could use the fiberglass on the outside but not many people here have done so from what i have read. Fiberglass is used to make alot of things and you can sand it and paint it. How hard it would be on a weapon to do and how much it would affect shape and detail I do not know, but if you want to try it out then I would say go for it.

Don't use fiberglass on the outside. It makes it VERY hard to detail and smooth since you dont want to sand away the fiberglass. If money is not a problem, then I say order some smooth-cast 300 and coat the inside. See Ithica's and Jedi Stumpy's tutorials

I like it. what I would do:

resin it, then split it (logical splitting points) then fibreglass the inside, then glass and bondo the halfes or quarters back together. You can also add weights so it feels more realistic!

Afterwards you can still add expanding foam

Expandy foam is what I would use if I made a weapon. Fiberglass on the outside, as said before, can take away from the details. And foam gets pretty hard, it just has to reinforce the weapon as the resin will give it the solid shape.

I have to say, that you did a really good job on the shotgun. apparently, Pepakura weapons are very hard to make and you did it. I have just finished making a Pepakura Halo Magnum, it wasn't a works in progress, so I couldn't post it. anyways, very good job. but I have read in other Pepakura weapons threads and gone through the weapon strengthening tutorial and they say that if you apply two coats of resin to the outside, that will give it the strength to withstand the pressure of the expanding foam, is this correct.

it just seems that cutting the weapon in half is a pretty drastic idea that could be easily messed up by a n00b like me... :whistle:

Akademee said:
I have to say, that you did a really good job on the shotgun. apparently, Pepakura weapons are very hard to make and you did it. I have just finished making a Pepakura Halo Magnum, it wasn't a works in progress, so I couldn't post it. anyways, very good job. but I have read in other Pepakura weapons threads and gone through the weapon strengthening tutorial and they say that if you apply two coats of resin to the outside, that will give it the strength to withstand the pressure of the expanding foam, is this correct.

it just seems that cutting the weapon in half is a pretty drastic idea that could be easily messed up by a n00b like me... :whistle:

I was just about to say I was thinking about using the expandable foam like the kind used in insulation projects but wasn't sure if the resin would be able to hold up to the pressure of it expanding. I actually applied a 2nd coat of resin to one of the sides about 30 min after the first coat and it does seem quite a bit more stable. I will do the same for the other side and then probably use a mixture of expandable foam, thin fiberglass for the non detailed areas, such as the butt plate and main body components, and bondo to fix any warping issues that occured during resining. Let me know your thoughts. Im still knew i didnt know there were weapons tutorials i will be sure to check that out thanks.

mwege441 said:
I was just about to say I was thinking about using the expandable foam like the kind used in insulation projects but wasn't sure if the resin would be able to hold up to the pressure of it expanding.

My experience is if you leave the hole that you spray the foam in open, all the foam will pour out of that, and not affect the weapon. Then you just trim off the excess. A good idea though, is to do it in layers, this minimizes warping and ensures that the foam cures fully.

Well, I don't know anything about making weapons (haven't gotten that far yet), so I wouldn't know anything about the best ways to go with it. I learn from you people. But I think that it looks good so far. Keep up the good work!

I actually just started the shotgun myself yesterday. What a pain so far. Hopefully it comes out as nice as yours has. I look forward to seeing the finished product

Spawnd said:
I actually just started the shotgun myself yesterday. What a pain so far. Hopefully it comes out as nice as yours has. I look forward to seeing the finished product

yea man it is a pain mine took about 18 hours to pep. If i wasnt on medical leave from work i prolly wouldnt have the patience or time haha. plus lots of swearing and several blistering hot glue burns. i wish you the best of luck!!

mwege441 said:
yea man it is a pain mine took about 18 hours to pep. If i wasnt on medical leave from work i prolly wouldnt have the patience or time haha. plus lots of swearing and several blistering hot glue burns. i wish you the best of luck!!

I'm about 75% done the pep work. I went with super glue actually haha, its worked out well so far, but you have to be quick and precise when matching up the parts, but I see what you mean when you say that you've had to create/tweak a few parts to make things work. I've got some mild warping in the stock, but i think they can be erased once i get to the bondo stage, other than that, everything's going pretty well haha.

if i were to do this again i would have built it in 2 halves, tape them down flat so they were straight and inline onto a large piece of cardboard, and applied about 2 coats of resin. Then fiberglass the insides, and then epoxy/bondo both sides back together. I will try my best with this but i too came out with just tad bit of warpage in the stock that seems fixable with bondo. How are you going about yours Spawnd?

mwege441 said:
if i were to do this again i would have built it in 2 halves, tape them down flat so they were straight and inline onto a large piece of cardboard, and applied about 2 coats of resin. Then fiberglass the insides, and then epoxy/bondo both sides back together. I will try my best with this but i too came out with just tad bit of warpage in the stock that seems fixable with bondo. How are you going about yours Spawnd?
I've finished almost everything but decided to take a break when i started getting frustrated doing the hand grip, plus I was nearly out of glue as well. So far everythings turned out pretty much perfect except for the slight warping of the stock, but like you said, should be an easy fix with bondo.

mc hammer time said:
I still think that the plastic coating would work the best, but do whatever. The foam works fine too

i did look into it sounds like some nice stuff but im going to pass because it would be about $30 shipped, and its a low viscosity mixture so i couldnt just paint it on like the resin. i got the foam for $4.37 and its sandable and paintable.

i may attempt spraying a bit in the stock today if i can get another coat on resin on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back