Simple alternatives to fiberglass/resin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daves777

hey guise!
so this is my first post in the 405th. I've been using ur database for a while now, as it has been quite useful. I decided to join just today, and so here I am :) wow. i probably should've made my first post an introduction, huh?

any how, i have recently made a halo recon helmet. heres a preview:
HaloReachstuff.png

I don't actually have access to fiberglass, resin, etc. I am just a highschooler after all. parents against it and all that. I was lookign for some alternatives to fiberglass and resin to harden it, and eventually create the final piece without any of the sort. i've look it up on the forums, and i know i can't use the hot glue method, 'cause i currently live in singapore, and it is HOT. any of the other preoducts mentioned in their threads i couldn't locate...

so far the helmet has two coats of just wood glue and water mix, but it still isn't quite as hard as i wanted to be. currently, my plan is to paper mache the inside very lightly at first, and then a bit more thick to give it support. after that, i dont know what to do. help WOULD be appreciated :D

yeah, and i'm a n00b go ahead and laugh. if theres something i did really stupid in this post, please let me know. like. rules and stuff. ok i think i might of talked to much.

Attachments

• HaloReachstuff.png
    HaloReachstuff.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 659
You'll be hard pressed to do this without bondo. Without good resins you won't get great results really, and even the safe ones are hard to get outside of America or Britain.

Given the tight restrictions you have, it may be prudent to go the route of EVA foam. It can be ordered and shipped to you, and will give some "okay" results without needing to spend time with resin and fiberglass and bondo. If you want to see what it looks like, search around the Noob forum for foam armors. But it will still give decent results for a low cost, very fast and NO resins.

Sir. Check my topic: The official quest for the best fiberglass/resin alternative. I am searching and as for now I thing textile hardener put on textile on the paper in the inside the best option.

Sorry to post on this- I don't mean to necro (that is, if a month is enough for a post to be dead), but I think I know of a solution to your Bondo issue... I too am a high schooler and I'm restricted from using any of the standard methods (fiberglass, resin, Bondo, etc), so I know where you're coming from. When I was searching through a Lowe's getting some misc mats for my own costume (primarily PVC) I bumped into a guy who was a cosplayer himself, who had some GREAT recommendations. He recommended to go with the pep method for sure, and then talked about the wood glue/water method for stability (though, personally I have been considering the hot glue methods). The second thing he recommended was the best idea I've heard in a while- why not try wood putty? It's easy application, it cures variably quick, it can be sanded and detailed beautifully. I haven't actually put it into use yet, but I have seen a lot of things done on it (which ends up beautiful), and I plan to do it within the upcoming weeks.

Now though, what was the proportions on that wood glue paste you used? The guy I talked to said about it, but didnt talk about proper proportions of each thing. I would very much appreciate it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back