Simple Halo Reach - Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplo

Hey guys. So I've been a member of the 405th for awhile but this is the first time that I'm posting. To give a little background, I'm a full time college student with a part time job and a girlfriend who I give the rest of my time to. In my spare time though, I've managed to have three suits total.

-The first suit was only a pepakura build and fell apart after I wrongly applied the fiberglass resin (4 years ago)
-The second build was a mix of pepakura and EVA foam. I made it for my college to wear at open houses since I'm a Mechanical Engineering and Technology (MET) major. My professor even made it a grade. It was a mix of foam and pepakura because a few of the pepakura pieces either warped or broke, the foam made a great quick replacement. Below is the final product I had for the school, and to say the least, I wasn't too proud of it... That's me on the left and my professor who graded it on the right.

QkxSL3V.jpg

- The third suit, made completely out of EVA foam is the one I just finished, and am certainly most proud of. I love the way it cam out, how light and comfortable it is, and just the overall look. I didn't put my shoes on cause I didn't want to, but I do have the boots done as well.

4poLyNK.jpg
7uJ1dKV.jpg
SH7fzDk.jpg

A lot of credit for this build goes to L3X BLU3R1V3R for his amazing foam templates. Sadly though, going through this, I forgot to take a lot of the pictures, so please bare with me on that. (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database)

I started out with making the helmet, the only piece that was pepakura and bondo throughout the build. I managed to make it decently, and a perfect fit on the first try too. I went ahead and added some bondo to the back and began sanding down since I have already fiberglassed the outside, and bondo'd the inside.

4Xuiues.jpg

Once finished with the bondo, I primed it grey and then added a base coat of silver. After doing this I cut the vents, and painted each part it's black and white. Even added beads for the lenses on top as well.

oSLPu3Z.jpg

Not long after though, I changed the color scheme to a simple silver and blue, with black being in the normal parts. And then I took the beads back off because I thought it looked better without them.

qo2vZJm.jpg

The visor was made using the process by Hugh Holder for his ODST visors (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24388-Hughs-Odst-Build). I simply placed window tint on the back of a flexible plastic sheet, cut out my shape afterwards, and then VERY lightly dusted the opposite side of the tint with the color I wanted for the visor. Worked perfectly and I can see great through it.

After the helmet, I went straight into the chest piece. Made completely out of EVA foam and has pieces of 2mm crafting foam in places as well to give that slight lift in detail.

uJyZ5RL.jpg
N7yNzC4.jpg

I decided when painting the full body pieces, I wanted to paint them all at once, so I'd have an even paint job around the whole suit. I think after finishing the chest, I started on the forearms because they seemed the easiest. you can see a couple of small dings in the top of one of he forearms as well, that would be because my dog decided he might make it his chew toy.

qI6hPB2.jpg
bqASSnH.jpg

Attachments

• QkxSL3V.jpg
    QkxSL3V.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 4poLyNK.jpg
    4poLyNK.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 7uJ1dKV.jpg
    7uJ1dKV.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 125
  • N7yNzC4.jpg
    N7yNzC4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 133
  • uJyZ5RL.jpg
    uJyZ5RL.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 138
  • qo2vZJm.jpg
    qo2vZJm.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 123
  • oSLPu3Z.jpg
    oSLPu3Z.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 4Xuiues.jpg
    4Xuiues.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 132
  • SH7fzDk.jpg
    SH7fzDk.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 139
  • qI6hPB2.jpg
    qI6hPB2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 144
  • bqASSnH.jpg
    bqASSnH.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 132
Once finished, I moved to the shins.

l2VYsFV.jpg
tZQXOVb.jpg
HJmdkcC.jpg

This is where I would have moved to the biceps, but I despise trying to make Halo Reach biceps, don't know why, I just do... But instead, I finished the crotch plate.

kQjF4pD.jpg
kQjF4pD.jpg

After the crotch plate I went ahead and knocked out the boots and knee guards just to pass time and avoid the biceps. But I did make the shoulder pieces as well. Irritatingly though, most of the photos that I did take have vanished... Including piectures of the biceps and shoulder, along with most of the painting process.

6OmpQQo.jpg
TBeAAq6.jpg

This is where I had finished the biceps, but since I can't find the pictures, I'll go ahead and skip to the thighs that I finished afterwards.

kb6xHcn.jpg

Now that everything was done, I started painting. I put two coats of black plasti-dip on each piece, and then primed them with a silver. That silver then became the main color, and later the secondary blue came in. This is where I wish I had an airbrush so badly... Before adding the blue though, I went ahead and cut the chest in half and added 4 buckles to make it easier to get on and off. After the painting was finished, I put one strap on each thigh, a buckle on the crotch plate, and an elastic strap on the knees, everything else is held in place by friction from making it just my size.

9j2bYfo.jpg
dmjn1dC.jpg
8qgPqGy.jpg
suXdrG8.jpg
Xjut4pn.jpg

And that was about it! I managed to finish this over the summer in my spare time, but I wanted to post it to here so that I could thank everyone on the 405th for helping me finish this. I do plan to add electronics into it but that won't be until a later date. Again though, thank you guys so much for all of your help, tutorials, and ideas when it came to making this happen.

OAbhZbv.jpg

Expect more in the future!!!

Attachments

• tZQXOVb.jpg
    tZQXOVb.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 143
  • kQjF4pD.jpg
    kQjF4pD.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 127
  • HJmdkcC.jpg
    HJmdkcC.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 138
  • l2VYsFV.jpg
    l2VYsFV.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 9j2bYfo.jpg
    9j2bYfo.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 145
  • dmjn1dC.jpg
    dmjn1dC.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 137
  • kQjF4pD.jpg
    kQjF4pD.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 6OmpQQo.jpg
    6OmpQQo.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • TBeAAq6.jpg
    TBeAAq6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 143
  • kb6xHcn.jpg
    kb6xHcn.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 8qgPqGy.jpg
    8qgPqGy.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 124
  • OAbhZbv.jpg
    OAbhZbv.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Xjut4pn.jpg
    Xjut4pn.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 152
  • suXdrG8.jpg
    suXdrG8.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 137
  • kQjF4pD.jpg
    kQjF4pD.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 136
I think you did a great job on the reach suit :)
look forward to seeing more from you

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

I actually thought that for the next suit I make, I'll try 3D printing. My school has 3 printers and I get a free copy of Solid Works for a year. We might have gotten a white light scanner too to scan a model of my body, I'm not sure... But I think it'd be interesting to model and make my own Halo 4 Enforcer build. And if not by 3D printing, we have sand boxes for making molds and casting them out of a metal. It would be kind of heavy depending on the material (I was thinking an aluminum chromium alloy, or a nickel chromium alloy - what bikes are made of - to reduce the weight drastically) but it'd be fun to wear!

DUDE! that would be sick to get a mold out of metal for the armor. I would wear the suit all the time! lol

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

I actually thought that for the next suit I make, I'll try 3D printing. My school has 3 printers and I get a free copy of Solid Works for a year. We might have gotten a white light scanner too to scan a model of my body, I'm not sure... But I think it'd be interesting to model and make my own Halo 4 Enforcer build. And if not by 3D printing, we have sand boxes for making molds and casting them out of a metal. It would be kind of heavy depending on the material (I was thinking an aluminum chromium alloy, or a nickel chromium alloy - what bikes are made of - to reduce the weight drastically) but it'd be fun to wear!
The only downside I could see is that if you were in the sun, you would bake! Also, most cons I have ever been to don't allow metal. I made a proton pack from ghostbusters and had to get the shell inspected for metal (it was a resin shell but I weathered it to make it look like it was metal). It was ridiculous.

DUDE! that would be sick to get a mold out of metal for the armor. I would wear the suit all the time! lol

I thought so too, haha! I'll see what I can do because half of my college so far has been welding, I might be able to make multiple pieces and just weld them together. Could be easier but I got to make sure it's okay with the school first.

This is sweet, and a great inspiration to me, since I recently started my own foam build. Nice work!

Thank you! and that's great to hear, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

The only downside I could see is that if you were in the sun, you would bake! Also, most cons I have ever been to don't allow metal. I made a proton pack from ghostbusters and had to get the shell inspected for metal (it was a resin shell but I weathered it to make it look like it was metal). It was ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. I never knew that about cons though but I understand why. I'd be fine with just keeping it at the school though, let a professor wear it maybe, lol. And I didn't even think about the temperature either, I'll have to add fans and everything to it but even then, I'd be roasted by the end of then day!

Oh wow, that's some difference between the first and second attempts. You've every right to be proud, I think it looks great!

Oh wow, that's some difference between the first and second attempts. You've every right to be proud, I think it looks great!

Thank you so much! And it's true, too many burns from the hot glue and a few from the bondo, lol.

And I have some good news!! I did make this suit for my school to replace the old one. Because of that, I go to open houses at my school to show off what an Engineering student is able to accomplish. But to add on to this, my professor suggested entering in the Atlanta Mini Maker Fair of 2013 for publicity of the school.

I just got an email back saying that I'm in! On October 26th, I'll be in the fair as a performer for my school, basically wearing the suit around the whole time. I would also like to say that I will be advertising the 405th at the fair. I'll be wearing both the logo of my school and of the 405th on the armor so that people see it. Thanks again everyone for everything!!!

I just got an email back saying that I'm in! On October 26th, I'll be in the fair as a performer for my school, basically wearing the suit around the whole time. I would also like to say that I will be advertising the 405th at the fair. I'll be wearing both the logo of my school and of the 405th on the armor so that people see it. Thanks again everyone for everything!!!

I just stumble on this thread, and when I saw this post, I felt proud to be a part of something this cool. o7 405th! :D

I would go for a bigger chest piece and some shoulder pads... It may not be just like the model but without a kick ass under suit I think it would help....I'm no tailor so the under suit is out of the question for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back