smooth cast with fibreglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitong

hi, i'm new in 405th, i live in flat and i haven't got a place where i can use toxic resins etc. so i bought smooth cast (i know it's toxic too ,but not that much as resin) I wonder if anybody tried use it with fibreglass instead of resin. I have paper model of astartes helmet and i'm in the middle of putting smooth cast with resin inside of it. Parts of it which are already covered with it are pretty hard, but i don't know if there is sense in covering whole helmet.
P.S. sorry for my english, my education with this language ended up few years ago and i don't use it

I used smoothcast 300 and 320 for all my helmets and weapons build and as far as I know the smoothcast liquid plastic itself is strong enough to stand normal wear (no need to mix with anything else). I only used it to cover the inside of my stuffs by sealed the outside piece with mod podge or white glue and pour a few small batch of smoothcast mixture on the inside.

hi, i'm new in 405th, i live in flat and i haven't got a place where i can use toxic resins etc. so i bought smooth cast (i know it's toxic too ,but not that much as resin) I wonder if anybody tried use it with fibreglass instead of resin. I have paper model of astartes helmet and i'm in the middle of putting smooth cast with resin inside of it. Parts of it which are already covered with it are pretty hard, but i don't know if there is sense in covering whole helmet.
P.S. sorry for my english, my education with this language ended up few years ago and i don't use it

SmoothCast doesn't smell, but that doesn't mean it's any less toxic than polyester resin. It's just a different kind of "toxic", and if I had to choose, I'd prefer polyester resin precisely because of the smell. The smell warns you, you know..

I hope you aren't trying to mix SmoothCast with any other kinds of resin? What you can do is use SmoothCast with fibreglass. But not with any other resin.

i'm not mixing different kinds of resins, i sticked fibreglass mate to helmet (inside) with cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) and poured smooth cast on it.unfortunatelly this method takes lot of smooth cast, which is pretty expensive for me. unfortunatelly i live with 4 other persons and i can't use polyester resin at home because of it's smell, with smooth cast, nobody needs to know what i'm doing

i'm not mixing different kinds of resins, i sticked fibreglass mate to helmet (inside) with cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) and poured smooth cast on it.unfortunatelly this method takes lot of smooth cast, which is pretty expensive for me. Unfortunatelly i live with 4 other persons and i can't use polyester resin at home because of it's smell, with smooth cast, nobody needs to know what i'm doing

... What?!

i see you don't like me poisoning my family with toxines without smell...
seriously, i have good ventilation when i'm using smooth cast, or other stuff like that, so i will poison nobody

i see you don't like me poisoning my family with toxines without smell...
seriously, i have good ventilation when i'm using smooth cast, or other stuff like that, so i will poison nobody

Good ventilation does not compare to great ventilation. You don't want to take any risks health wise.

According the the MSDS sheet for Smooth-Cast, it's actually not a huge threat in terms of vapour inhalation, apparently. Unless you're experiencing prolonged expose in excess, in terribly ventilated areas, that is. Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Smooth-Cast: http://www.eagerplastics.com/sc300a.htm

Unlike resin, I don't think it will be a threat to others in your house unless they walk up to a batch, stick their nose in it and/or lick it. That said...

I'm not sure what your reason is for not wanting your family to know what you're up to...however, unless you're making the armour in cognito and will be arrested if caught, then I do strongly recommend informing your other family members about your project, and your concerns about using a toxic material, like Smooth Cast. While it's not exactly cyanide, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume they don't know what Smooth Cast is. If they don't know about it, and can't smell it, then they're not prepared for it. Being informed about materials that release harmful (if unscented) fumes is very, very, very important. Never take risks with chemicals.

But in any case, Workplace Hazardous Material Information Stuff aside (*shudders* WHMIS...) there are several other kinds of materials to use rather than Smooth Cast. For example, I"m using plaster wrap on the inside of my armour and your basic acrylic medium instead of resin to coat and protect the outside. None of the materials I use are toxic and it gets the job done. I can't use resin either since I'm not comfortable exposing anything remotely dangerous to my fellow tenants/landlady friend.

Guys, I'm pretty sure Pitong isn't hiding this from people. "Nobody needs to know what I'm doing" likely means "the obnoxious smell isn't going to disturb my family from their normal day to day activities".

Is Smoothon going to harm your family? Likely not, assuming that -- like you said -- you have good ventilation.

Assuming also that Pitong's family has the common sense to avoid licking/directly inhaling mysterious liquids they should be fine, and considering that everyone's wellbeing has been considered by Pitong, we can safely infer that there is no nefarious trickery happening here.

Are we all good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back