So... I've Got A Wip. (daftspartan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephdunavan

Jr Member
Hello everyone!

I've finally gotten around to finishing this bad boy, and just in the nick of time. I plan on giving this helmet its first trip out of the house tomorrow to school. Friday is homecoming, so this is spirit week, and Thursday is Superhero Vs. Supervillian day. That was enough to convince me to get my tail to work on this helmet.

So... overall I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with, but since I had to really speed things up in order to get it done in time, things are a *little* sloppy... :(
This is my first build of any type (pepakura, fiberglass, bondo... the whole lot) so I'm really happy to finally see the outcome of so much work.
Just for those who are wondering, the file I used for this helmet was DF4L's high-def file off of the wiki. Thanks for the great work DF4L! Also, I can't make my first new thread without shouting out a huge THANKS!!! to all of you guys here at the 405th who put so much time and effort into helping out all of us little people and making sure we feel welcome. You guys are stupendous :D

Well... I suppose that's that. Compliments or criticism of any type is greatly appreciated, without it I wouldn't ever get any better.

Impressive, very accurate...

Especially the padding,, its like exactly the same as that "starry night" advert XD

Keeo goin'!

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I really appreciate it. Things went pretty well for superhero/supervillian day, safe to say, I got plenty of strange awkward stares, but they were cancelled out by the gawks of amazement by all the fellow "nerds". More people know of Master Chief than I realized...

Anyways, just in case anyone's wondering, the chest is being pepped (FS HD) and is about... 70% through. I'll post pictures when I do something a little more exciting to it than glue paper ;)

edit I should mention, if anyone wants to know, the padding is actually the interior of my old baseball helmet. I just ripped it out, and it fit in perfectly. I was planning to make the padding by hand out of foam, but my gf's brother was joking and said I should just use a baseball helmet, and that caused the little lightbulb in my head to flicker.

I also just noticed that flying squirl posted on here, and I want to personally thank him for his great pieces, most of which I will be using :D

About time for an update, I suppose. The FS HD Chest piece is a beauty, but that beauty comes at a price... So many folds! So many tabs! It's taking an eternity, especially with school and life swamping me right now... Anyways, I found a mic attached to a voice modulator that I'll be ripping apart and installing in the helmet and chest, and the fans and leds in the helmet will be coming soon, so stay tuned guys! :D

Oh I'm glad you're moving on to the rest of the armor. Judging by the work you put into the helmet the rest should turn out very nice.

what did you use for the underpart of the top front of the helmet?
looks like it was casted. what product did you use?
how long did it take from start to finish?
why did you elect to leave out the vents on the rear torso?

droodles said:
Oh I'm glad you're moving on to the rest of the armor. Judging by the work you put into the helmet the rest should turn out very nice.
Thanks man, I hope to move pretty swiftly from here on out, though.

Jax Archillies said:
what did you use for the underpart of the top front of the helmet?
looks like it was casted. what product did you use?
how long did it take from start to finish?
why did you elect to leave out the vents on the rear torso?
The details on the helmet were cut out of that thin foamy stuff you get from the craft section at like walmart, or just about any craft store. It comes in thin 30x45cm sheets (the thickness that they are on my helmet is the standard thickness they come as). My name brand here says "Cool Foam" by the company "crative hands". Pretty easy stuff to find. I just glued them on the helmet, resined them to give them a little more stiffness, and with a little sanding and spot filler, they came out looking pretty nice and weren't too difficult to deal with.
I took forever on this helmet though, I kinda kept putting it off, but I started about end of july and finished like a week ago. Long time, I know, but I was a little busy, and cash was tight.

Oh, and I didn't opt out the pieces on the back torso, I'm just not done building it yet, haha. I have to do that and the piece that goes around the waist on the right. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Very creative on the craft foam idea. I'll definitely be using that on my Pepakura armor. And it's a good thing I saw it before I started getting everything all put together!

One thing - I really like the way you padded the inside of the helmet. (Forgiving my ignorance for helmets) what kind of padding is that? It almost resembles the type for bicycle helmets, but I am uncertain. Or is it the kind for motorcycle helmets?

Droakir said:
Very creative on the craft foam idea. I'll definitely be using that on my Pepakura armor. And it's a good thing I saw it before I started getting everything all put together!

One thing - I really like the way you padded the inside of the helmet. (Forgiving my ignorance for helmets) what kind of padding is that? It almost resembles the type for bicycle helmets, but I am uncertain. Or is it the kind for motorcycle helmets?
Glad I could spark some interest with the foam!
As for the padding, I just ripped the padding out of an old baseball helmet that was made to expand and retract for young childrens growing heads, and I hot glued it in at certain spots so I could still move it out of the way to tinker with electronics. I recommend searching yard sales for cheap old helmets.

Very interesting idea! I shall start raiding yard sales immediately. :D

Have you considered doing your details with the craft foam on the rest of your armor? It certainly seems an inexpensive and quick way to do details while leaving nice, smooth surfaces.

Droakir said:
Have you considered doing your details with the craft foam on the rest of your armor? It certainly seems an inexpensive and quick way to do details while leaving nice, smooth surfaces.

Actually, I have. I have plenty left, I bought 3 sheets, so I've got a ton (yes, 3 sheets equals approximately 2,000 pounds :D ). right now I'm planning on using it for the black pieces on the back of the chest, and the detail right around the neck area on the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back