Solar Power Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to make solar power LED lights.
I thought that would be a good Idea help save the planet with ECO friendly lights, Instead of buying battery's. :D

Here's an instructable about making a solar battery charger. This and a led flashlight should handle small-scale lighting. Also, this kind of project could be scaled up to room lighting if you wanted.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
How are you supposed to make your LED's light up the dark, when there is no sunshine above?
You could use the battery's at night and solar power in the day.
It will cut back on the battery use. And save some cash.
And some solar powered light store energy so you can store sun light and use it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
baddog9000 said:
You could use the battery's at night and solar power in the day.
It will cut back on the battery use. And save some cash.
And some solar powered light store energy so you can store sun light and use it later.
And why would you use the LED's in broad daylight? Kinda defeats your purpose, kiddo.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
And why would you use the LED's in broad daylight? Kinda defeats your purpose, kiddo.
It was just a good Idea at the time. Don't pop my bubble. :(

Not necessarily broad daylight - indoors without good lighting. Could recharge the batts when you leave into the sunshine. Or just run down the batts when you leave and it's dark!

there are flat areas on the helmet/chest pieces that could make small panels possible. like the shoulders, or the ridges at the top of the head. neat idea guys.

You would still need some way of storing the electricity harvested from the solar cells, but there is a ton of space in the backplate shoulders to stash everything. Solar cells are very fragile, so you would be wise to ensure they avoid damage.

leds dont draw that much power as it is. If you were to make it worthwhile, make them power your fans and voice enhancer as well. Those solar cells can get pricey. However you could cannibalize a "do-it-yourself" kit from a hobby store.

solar path lights (for your driveway or walkway) sell for $11- $30 at Wal-mart. You should have more than enough from them to power lights, fans, and voice-changer. Check the curb on garbage day as well, people are always throwing them away because they got run over. (I used to be a garbage man and I "harvested" plenty of solar cells from those things)

DeathStatus said:
doesnt that defeat the purpose of having lights anyways? y have your lights on when the sun is already out?
Solar panels can store light energy and use that energy when it senses it is dark enough, this is used on solar powered outdoor lights. Next time don't post in a 2 week dead topic when your inquiry as already been asked and answered by other members in this topic.

As to where to put them, I would do it on the ridges on the top of the helmet. Mostly becuae the top of your helmet is almost always pointed to the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back