Spartan Ii's Armour Progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macattack64 said:
I think we all should really try a lot harder to get our suits done and get to dragon con. By all I mean, Spartan ii, pooper, soullesssin, and me.

Yeah, I hear ya, lol.

What with me now having access to a proper work space (thanks to the gf letting me use her garage), I'm hopeful I'll finally get this thing done before this time next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, dude! Much appreciated :)

This is a project I've actually been working on for about two years, so I wouldn't exactly say I've been working quickly at this :rolleyes lol

Of course, that's partly due to roommates I've lived with the last couple years not wanting me to do any of this work indoors, not having ample space to do any prop work, and also due to the fact I have rediculously high standards for accuracy and detail.

Now that I have a proper work area, that should make things a lot easier for me.

Who knows... maybe I'll finally be able to get this build done before next Hallowe'en and DragonCon :D

SPARTAN II said:
Yeah, I hear ya, lol.

What with me now having access to a proper work space (thanks to the gf letting me use her garage), I'm hopeful I'll finally get this thing done before this time next year.

I'm aiming for hallowween of this year and I know that will happen.

:D

SoullessSin said:

I'm gonna see if I can get it done for Halloween but I won't be mad if I don't finish.

SoullessSin said:

In my case, I know it won't, lol. But, the way I see it, I've waited this long to get it "just right", so I can be patient a while longer. Fingers crossed for next year :cool

SPARTAN II said:
In my case, I know it won't, lol. But, the way I see it, I've waited this long to get it "just right", so I can be patient a while longer. Fingers crossed for next year :cool

Hey, the more you take your time, the better it'll look! If you rush, it'll come out looking like this...

IMG_0194.jpg

^^ My first helmet. Yuck.

pooper said:
Hey, the more you take your time, the better it'll look! If you rush, it'll come out looking like this...

^^ My first helmet. Yuck.

[/quote]

Though for your first helmet it doesn't really look too bad, I do agree that it'll look better the more time I put into it. Definately don't want to rush this, as I want it to look the absolute best it can :)

SPARTAN II said:
Though for your first helmet it doesn't really look too bad, I do agree that it'll look better the more time I put into it. Definately don't want to rush this, as I want it to look the absolute best it can :)

I hear ya. I also try to give myself a reasonable deadline (or no deadline at all) so that I can make my armor as good as I can make it (with my current knowledge of armor building). I see my suit being completed some time at the end of this year or early next year.

BTW, nice of your GF to let you use her garage. :)

pooper said:
I hear ya. I also try to give myself a reasonable deadline (or no deadline at all) so that I can make my armor as good as I can make it (with my current knowledge of armor building). I see my suit being completed some time at the end of this year or early next year.

BTW, nice of your GF to let you use her garage. :)

BOLD # 1: Since I've been at this build for about two years, obviously I haven't really given myself any sort of deadline, lol. Other than having it done in time for HALO'ween some year :p

BOLD # 2: Yeah, it sure is. What can I say? She's awesome, and completely understanding and supportive of my hobby (haven't had that before). We've even planned out where my drafting table's going to go down in the basement (once I've gotten it).

The prop table I've got set up in the garage will have to move downstairs once the car goes in the garage (she doesn't drive during the winter), but at least I'll still have a work space for my projects during the colder months :)

SPARTAN II said:

Like the progress, and yes taking your time is awesome!

Btw, offtopic question, how's the whole fridge issue? Sorry if I'm supposed to ask.

Sorry, folks... not an update, just an announcement.

As the weather up here is getting to the point where it's not conducive for resining/fiberglassing, over the course of the winter I'll print out and assemble the rest of the pieces needed to complete my armour.

Once warmer weather comes around next Spring, I'll be able to get right to resining/fiberglassing everything, then detail it all with sheet styrene. That's the plan, anyway :p

Have to get both new black and coloured ink cartridges for my printer (kinda pricey for me at the moment), but hopefully will be able to do that relatively soon, so I can dish out the rest of the armour pieces.

Just wanted to let everyone who's followed this project know :cool

Sounds good. I'm more than likely will have to do the same thing. It took forever to just fiberglass my new ODST helmet due to the cold, and it wouldn't dry properly (thank god it finally did). So I'm going to pep pieces myself too.

Thanks for the heads up Elvis! :)

You're welcome, buddy! Since it had been a while since I'd posted anything about this project, I figured it only fair to let you guys know what my plans were for it at this point.

The way I see it, if I can at least manage to put together the rest of the armour pieces during the months before the snow starts to melt, that'll still be a good deal of progress, even though I'll have to wait until next year to finish it.

I plan on adding the styrene detailing to the chest armour sometime soon, starting with the collar pieces based on the ones you made for your own armour ;)

I'll probably use .080 (the thickest I've been able to find around here), so that should be sturdy enough, even with it not being completely resined/fiberglassed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back