Spartan Laser Foam Build DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyranger72

Hi everyone, I have decided to just make a new foam to show off some pictures of my finished spartan laser. The laser had only taken about 4 to 5 days to build (working around school and work). However, right in the end I had left it outside while the paint was drying only to have a light mist come to ruin it. All of my smooth surfaces turned in to craters. The installation foam was not able to put up with the water. To those who ask, the coat of paint I had applied was my first go of plasty dip. With a convention a few days away and not a lot of time to work on it, I made the choice to just finish the paint job. THE FIRST TWO ARE BEFORE. After some talk with some friends, I decided I needed to Bondo the bad spots and repaint the laser. It was an awesome idea and was done as soon as possible. Finishing the laser around midnight the day before the convention, I show you my first Halo 3 Spartan Laser made of pink insulation foam, being my second gun made out of it...
IMG_3671.PNG
IMG_3672.PNG

These are my final build.
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3665.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_3668.jpg
IMG_3669.jpg

You really cranked this out! I am sorry you had problems with it and I am sure plenty of stress, but you really brought it back and nailed this! It looks really good and I love how it attatched to your back(plus it looks like you were rewarded too! :D )

That could be the case, but I do not think the rain was a problem, but actually your sealant. Plastidip works well on foam, but I am pretty sure since it is in a spray can, the earosal eats away at insulation foam... your choice of pva glue may as a sealant would probably work better. I am not very experienced with insulation foam so I cant help you out alot on this subject, but I do know spraypaints are damaging to it and assume plasti dip is too

You really cranked this out! I am sorry you had problems with it and I am sure plenty of stress, but you really brought it back and nailed this! It looks really good and I love how it attatched to your back(plus it looks like you were rewarded too! :D )

That could be the case, but I do not think the rain was a problem, but actually your sealant. Plastidip works well on foam, but I am pretty sure since it is in a spray can, the earosal eats away at insulation foam... your choice of pva glue may as a sealant would probably work better. I am not very experienced with insulation foam so I cant help you out alot on this subject, but I do know spraypaints are damaging to it and assume plasti dip is too
Bingo, the accelerant in most spray paints is what causes XPS and styrofoam to melt. If you can create a barrier between the foam and your spray paint you can get away with it but even the slightest gap and it goes to melty town. Brush on acrylic gesso or a PVA based sealer like Mod Podge are great like you mentioned Dash, there's also products like Krylon H2O spray that are a different base and won't melt the material.

Bingo, the accelerant in most spray paints is what causes XPS and styrofoam to melt. If you can create a barrier between the foam and your spray paint you can get away with it but even the slightest gap and it goes to melty town. Brush on acrylic gesso or a PVA based sealer like Mod Podge are great like you mentioned Dash, there's also products like Krylon H2O spray that are a different base and won't melt the material.
Had the same issue with my Legendary Symbol Plaque, thankfully my teacher warned me before making that mistake. Ended up hand-painting it with a coat or 2 of white acrylic paint as a base coat before spray painting. Anywho, love the Splaser dude, any plans on patching up the craters?

Thank you for your advice! I have yet to use pva glue however I will be using it on my next weapon. Thank you for your comment!

Thank you for your comment! I definitely need to get my sealing underway. I will be doing some more research on it for the next weapon. Thank you!

Had the same issue with my Legendary Symbol Plaque, thankfully my teacher warned me before making that mistake. Ended up hand-painting it with a coat or 2 of white acrylic paint as a base coat before spray painting. Anywho, love the Splaser dude, any plans on patching up the craters?
I have cleaned up almost all the imperfections. However, I am going to keep some of it just for battle damage. I enjoy the look how it is :) Thank you for your comment!

Wow this looks great! Have fun...

"...blasting apart subatomic particles with a giant collision machine! It's violent and it's science, and thus it gets the Sarge seal of approval!"

-Sarge when using the splaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back