Spase Molded Helms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Spase

LET THERE BE HELMETS ALL OVER MY HOUSE!!!

This one has the panel lines accented with black so they stand out... not always done...

2323720707_7659edbf3b.jpg

2323720535_c576966bd5.jpg

2324539794_2226f8a34a.jpg

2324540484_0750082523.jpg

2323721201_938f574003.jpg

And this is a raw painted one... the painting is all the same process... just slightly different.. without the panel line grooves painted.

2323721789_14173982c0.jpg

2324541374_4126a14730.jpg

2323870999_efde19d12c.jpg

gallery_3819_91_48836.jpg

Q: "When will "the rest of us" see a tutorial on expenses/ mats used / trouble spots to look out for / etc."

-- A: Tutorials are online already for versions of what I have done, but specific to my process, a tutorial will be up when I have time to finish it, I don't want to post anything half finished, and I do try to answer all the questions that are asked of me... but I will be posting one soon..

Statement: "Now, I don't doubt that i could figure all this out on my own, but before I drop 150$ for rebound, and another 75$ for some smooth cast, I'd like to hear what those of us who are "older and wiser" have to say about the process. "

-- Response: Well I did use smooth-on products... watch Adam's video of his ODST helm, he shows you what to use when... I used a very similar process... not exactly, but similar...

-- Response:Statement: "Because I'm sure you're going to be getting 100's of messages saying "OMG HOW"D YOU DO THAT", I'll go ahead and field a couple burning questions that would be best answered in a new thread."

-- Response: I am getting alot of PMs lately... alot... lots of request for helms, some from what I fear to be recasters, some from people that think they will be able to buy a helm for $100... its worth more to me to keep than to sell one for $100, as I would rather have 10 sitting around my house, than sell just one for $100, that wont cover just the materials to make one.... not including the time involved.

Q: "1. how long did it take (start-finish) to create a mold of your helm?"

-- A: 3 weeks of long weeknights and two weekends of all day Saturdays and Sundays (approx 80-100 hours) from start of my first original helm, to the pull of the first cast.

Q: "2. What materials did you use?"

-- A: Smooth-on materials, again, they are shown in Adam's ODST video.

Q: "3. How much of these materials did you use (is the one gal size of silicone rubber enough? etc)"

-- A: One gal of silicone will get you one helmet, just don't mess up, which can be easy to do, otherwise you will be buying more than one gallon.

Q:" 4. comments, deep thoughts, jaded opinions, etc."

-- A: Casting molds is not easy, its not cheap, and its not a lot of fun. It is rewarding to see your project finally working in the end. But I spent a lot of time and money to get to where I am now, and don't be fooled that because I did this in a short period of time that anyone can just run out and do it. I have a Licensed Engineer, I have a Mechanical Engineering degree, mold making is in my field of studies... I have worked with different auto body products from paints to fillers, from sanding to fiberglass... I think everybody here that has built something to mold has the experience necessary to apply to the project, or the money to waste.

To answer what I am doing right now... I am recovering from a long weekend.

I have a burst blood vessels in my left eye from this project, its a long story, but it is from this project.
I am stressed out and tired now... I want some rest...

The helms will be made for what it costs to create them and for any time involved, what my time is worth will be determined by how fast I can create a helm.

The 405th does not sell items, if you have any questions, PM me directly...

Statement: "Thanks Spase - your work speaks for itself."

-- Response: You are welcome... you are all welcome, thank you for the kind words.

Statement: "And just out of curiosity, if you ever were to sell casts of your helm - how much would those pups be going for (ballpark)?"

-- Response: PM ME ... I am not hurting for money and I do see being able to make money on the side of actual career making props... but I am not trying to get rich making props for a community of fans for which I love and adore... I love Halo, just like everyone else here does. Not to mention copyright infringement is always a worry... but like I said, I am not really out for profit when it comes to the helms... I have other projects going right now too, but due to the overwhelming interest here in my helmet, they have been put on hold for now...

Yeah about that... took me 3 hours last night just to prepare the helm to be molded.... I know I said this yesterday, but I hope to be able to get the silicone on tonight....

I am totally dreading having to cover this beautiful creation of mine in silicone... but, if all goes well, then the mold will come out great, and the helm will be unharmed...

Ive been wanting to sculpt and mold a helmet for a while. If you successfully do this it will be a big inspiration to me and might be the thing that pushes me to go buy some clay. I cant wait to see your progress. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Do want.

Cant wait to see how it comes out, I cant believe how when we talked just a week or so back you were thinking of making the mold, and already it's comming true....you work very fast.

OMG... the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man's girl friend has now blew up all over my Helm :(.... (if you don't know who the stay puff marshmallow man is, go rent Ghost Buster's, and you are to young, you make me feel old...

No turning back now I suppose... it'll work or it wont, it is what it is...

Updated... pics in first post...

I love the fact that when you coat your model in silicone it disappears to you and you think... The inside of this better turn out better than how the outside looks right now. It looks like you are on the right track Spase. Just curious, did you ever do a test mold and casting with something else. I did that first to make sure I understood the process. Here are the tips I learned: 1. Plastipaste sticks to everything! 2. Be careful when mixing up the plastic, you don't want to make too much and waste plastic (of course I did because I'm clearly a genius when it comes to this stuff)!

Other than that, all I gleaned from the process is that it is messy, long, and somewhat difficult. (much like you did)

Have fun, I'm sure it will turn out great! (and I can't wait to see the end result)

Good Luck with this Spase I hope your helmet comes out great from these molds. Look out blue got a new molder to compete with lol.

Good luck with the mold. I'm sure you'll do fine :)

I do have a question about the metal glaze though. I mixed it up and put it on, but there are "holes" or "small craters" in it in several spots. Do you just keep putting it on and layer it up, or am I doing something wrong?

Well.. second layer old Silicone is on... still way nervous about this... I just hope if the mold doesn't come out, the helm underneath is ok... :unsure:

Blue Realm has no competition, not really why i started this helm project. I am just trying something out for myself... I love his helms and he is one of the reasons I got into this....

Did I test mold? What do you think I am? Cautious? Do you think the Chief would be cautious?... No I didn't test mold, I just stepped in and pressed my button...
s0105150_std.jpg
... but I should have test molded...

I heard someone say mold making was easy?... could you explain to me where I am going wrong... being messy, long, and not intuitively simple, would tend to make me describe this hobby as less than easy.... not for the faint hearted, or those with attention disorders...

The Glaze material shouldn't crater or pin hole... the only thing that would really cause that is to much hardner, and it setting to fast trapping air and when you sand it the air pockets become pin holes... but the crater was probably just a low spot... Glaze went on my helm over the course of 4 days or so, with several coats in a few trouble places.... to be honest, its not exactly the glaze material that got the finish, its the time I took sanding it, slowly, and meticulously, spot prime it, block it, look for low spots, lay up some glaze if need... its going to have a few pin holes it happens, but they should be very very small, and if you prime it, and sand with 320, the primer should fill the pin holes..

I am tired.. I have to work in 7 hours, and I still have 2 coats of silicone to go... I am so dumb for starting this at 10.... thank god tomorrow is Friday, but then again I have to drive to Austin tomorrow after work... I am rambling, a sign of sleep deprivation... as if the game weren't enough to loose sleep over, now I have an armor building hobby contributing...

Spase said:
as if the game weren't enough to loose sleep over, now I have an armor building hobby contributing...

hahaha I know the feeling, but I hope in the end I'll feel as if I'm in a movie with cheesy running music playing as I break through the finish line. You'll get there, sleep is for the weak!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha Yeah I tend to agree, Carpe Noctum is great for gaming and coding...but when it comes to physical projects like that, it is best to wait until you are conscious. Last time I started a project that late I grabbed a soldering iron from the wrong side and stared at it for two seconds before I realized my flesh was melting...noooo good.

But it looks great and you have made progress, cant wait to see how it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back