Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakiki

Jr Member
Okay, I just pepped my first piece ever.
Thread
And, I'm wondering, with no experience and maybe a half-hour a day could I have a shot at pepping/resining/glassing/painting a Helmet for Halloween (if all goes as planned Halo-ween)
Or do you think it would be a stretch, or do you think I could but I'd have to go buy cardstock THIS SECOND
Speaking of...I have a bottom-loading printer
What sort of cardstock gives me a happy medium between "PAPER-JAM ERROR 12548" and "DAMNIT! MY HELM COLLAPSED WHEN I SNEEZED!"

it took me about a week to complete.. well it will be a week on sat when im done.. thats only printing and folding.. i should have it painted and resended by next week

If you're doing just the helmet, it will take less time. I've been doing everything at each step, starting with glueing all the forms together, then resining the whole thing, followed by fiberglass, bondo, etc. I've been at it a month (I have a day job that keeps me pretty busy).

For the helmet:
I spent 6 hours putting it together (print->fold->glue->finish), another 1 resining, 2 to fiberglass, and now I'm in the bondo/shaping stage (prolly 6 hours for that stage, but that's a guesstimate). Oh, a couple of hours spent on the visors, too. I figure it will take me another 10-20 hours of work to get it the way I want - fans, LEDs, voice mod, wiring speakers, etc.

*digs out ancient adding machine*

Total: 25 - 45 hours.

Not counting waiting for stuff to cure, of course.

Also, because I wont be able to afford a legit visor by then, what's a cheap alternative? (A cheap QUICK alternative)

Do a forum search for "visor" - you'll get a whole pile of threads on the subject, with a lot of different options ranging from cheap to...peculiar.

Boomer said:
If you're doing just the helmet, it will take less time. I've been doing everything at each step, starting with glueing all the forms together, then resining the whole thing, followed by fiberglass, bondo, etc. I've been at it a month (I have a day job that keeps me pretty busy).

For the helmet:
I spent 6 hours putting it together (print->fold->glue->finish), another 1 resining, 2 to fiberglass, and now I'm in the bondo/shaping stage (prolly 6 hours for that stage, but that's a guesstimate). Oh, a couple of hours spent on the visors, too. I figure it will take me another 10-20 hours of work to get it the way I want - fans, LEDs, voice mod, wiring speakers, etc.

*digs out ancient adding machine*

Total: 25 - 45 hours.

Not counting waiting for stuff to cure, of course.

Now for someone that is looking to just put one together, resin it, throw some fiberglass on the inside paint and be done (just looking to make one of these for halloween and not have it fall apart on me. What do you estimate? I have three friends helping out as well. I do plan on redoing the helmet with bondo and leds etc etc after halloween but at this point I just want to have something to wear out downtown :)

Shoot me an email if you could juan.barnett at gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back