Spielberg To Produce Halo: Fall Of Reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronster said:
Don't jinx it!

All I'm saying is I agree with Goose. Who knows how the script is? Have YOU read it?

If it "blew away" Spielburg, then you've got to give it some credit. Plus, we know he is familiar with the realm of video games considering he plays Bioshock... perhaps he is also familiar with Halo and its universe...

Let's keep the prejudice down and wait and see, shall we?

We're basing our idea of what the script is from Beattie's statement of what he thinks the Master Chief is. It's somewhere in this thread, and it's absolutely retarded.

Also, if you haven't seen the GI Joe movie, that was a pile of crap too, also written by him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quote from Beattie about his script says that he feels/thinks that Halo is the story about, "this child [Master Chief] that no one cares about and who cares for no one else, who kind of ends up saving all of humanity."

I've already expressed my sentiments about this outlook on the Halo Universe

I understand how he could come to that conclusion, but it's plain wrong.

He's really just someone whose been given the power to crush anyone. He is responsible for how he uses this power, but he was never taught the fundamentals of human behavior. The importance of a human life. In short, underneath all the armor and scars, he's still just 6 years old. His parents where basically just outside influences (keyes, Halsey, cortana, marines) and they all seemed surprised that the 7ft tall killing machine on fighting their side was so naive. It's a damn shame that THIS is might be the one that makes it through. I saw District 9 an hour ago, I was disappointed. Not because the movie's quality (it was brilliant) but because that Pete/ Neil team up could've been the ones to pull this off. Too bad the script they were going to make wasn't too desirable.

xalener said:
yeah, or NEIL BLOMKAMP!!!

lol. He would have been it. He would have been THE guy to pull videogame movies out of that dark cave they're rotting in. What a shame. Now we got a Beattie written explosionfest.

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE blomkamp's shorts. if you guys havent seen them you should definitely do a youtube search and watch them. he has one that actually looks like a mini D9, but theyre all amazing!

and ol' favreau would definitely have my vote too. thank holy tacos it was him behind iron man!

The "mini" D9 one is the short that D9 is based on. lol...

Wait...

I'm sure you know that he made D9 right?

Bloodl3tt3r said:
We're basing our idea of what the script is from Beattie's statement of what he thinks the Master Chief is. It's somewhere in this thread, and it's absolutely retarded.

Also, if you haven't seen the GI Joe movie, that was a pile of crap too, also written by him.

Just trying to stay positive!!

Didn't he team up with Sommers and they BOTH wrote GI Joe? Can't completely blame Beattie...

xalener said:
The "mini" D9 one is the short that D9 is based on. lol...

Wait...

I'm sure you know that he made D9 right?

i did indeed. but i didnt know it was based on the short. im glad it got some life breathed in to it. now i need him to make one based on his robocop-ish short.

xalener said:
We can't completely blame Hitler. I mean he wasn't the ONLY nazi.

Thats so wrong,you should be ashamed of yourself for saying that.

Blomkamp and Peter Jackson are out of the picture, but WETA isnt. I remember that they where saying that they where still working on Halo FX like a year ago. Dont forget WETA is just a visual effects studio, nothing more, nothing less. So the effect will still be WETA to my knowledge.

Im not to happy with Beattie quote, but im sure they will run the script with Bungie. M$ or not, they will know that if they make a crappy film 75% of the fans will not go see it *cough*Doom/Dragonball*cough* or go to the sequel.

Speaking of sequels... how are they going to be able to completely skip Halo 2? They said the first movie would be based on Fall of Reach, the second movie on Halo 1 and the third movie on Halo 3... where's H2?? I guess 2 and 3 could be combined, but it wouldn't be as good...

Ronster said:
Speaking of sequels... how are they going to be able to completely skip Halo 2? They said the first movie would be based on Fall of Reach, the second movie on Halo 1 and the third movie on Halo 3... where's H2?? I guess 2 and 3 could be combined, but it wouldn't be as good...

Maybe it was a typo?

Halo 2 has all the plot twists and expostion. I don't see how they could just skip it.

Lol. Something's just a little un-PC and everyone snaps. Predictable.

...But seriously. You CAN'T skip the most substancial part of the series.

xalener said:
We can't completely blame Hitler. I mean he wasn't the ONLY nazi.

As much as I hated Beattie's work, that's going quite a bit too far.

Anyways, I need to see District 9 to burn GI Joe out of my mind.

The redheaded version of Rachel Nichols can stay though. :D

xalener said:
Maybe it was a typo?

Nope:

The script also gives detailed outlines for the second movie, HALO: RISE OF THE FLOOD, which takes place entirely on the Halo ringworld, and the third and final movie, HALO: BATTLE FOR EARTH, which roughly follows the events of Halo 3, the game.

Halo: Rise of the Flood...? Sounds like GI Joe: Rise of Cobra.....

Oh no...

Although the concept art looks cool.

full_movieimage_17897.jpg

full_movieimage_18264.jpg

full_movieimage_18037.jpg

full_movieimage_18368.jpg

full_movieimage_18080.jpg

So I guess the covenant side is going to be fed in small bits throuought the series? You can't tell H3's story without touching on that.

These better be rated R. I'm serious.

I'm fine with most of that concept art except for the obstacle course. There doesn't even seem to be any paths, you could walk AROUND everything if you wanted....

You also needed to ring a bell instead of grab a trophy, but oh well.

PS: Couldn't they have just called it Halo: The flood? And Halo:....something that doesn't use the overused word "battle"? Both sound much more epic.

Halo: The Flood would be an awful movie title.

As Beattie goes, it pays to be prejudiced against him. It tells the film makers what we want to see, and that we will be VERY VOCAL if it doesn't live up to expectations. I'm happy with Spielberg - he gives directors what they need, and that is what you want from a producer. But Beattie, even though I haven't seen his script, fails to impress. He's a bankable writer, but not necessarily a good one.

I can see that you could skip a lot of Halo 2 - ignore the Arbiter for the most part (this is the Chief's story, and I really didn't like the Arbiter's levels in the game - though the story was good), skip the Gravemind (thus leaving the Flood as a mindless parasitic race) and you have a movie right there. The Chief returns to Earth, pursues the Prophet of Regret, only to end up on High Charity and leaving Cortana behind to be taken by the Flood.

The concept art always looks good. Nowadays, it's no longer a matter of whether the movie in terms of visual effects is good. Every movie made by Hollywood today (and most that aren't: Operation Chastity being example) do or plan to use computerized effects as well as other things. So basically, there's no problem with the movie looking like crap unless they REALLY messed up.

That's why nowadays you start to care more about the story and everything. I don't think you can dump out the Gravemind, and you have to at least summarize what happens to the Arbiter, or at least put in the Great Schism (where the Brutes replace the Elites), because if they make a Halo 3-based movie, you're going to wonder why all of the sudden this elite is teaming up with the humans and stuff, instead of trying to kill them. And the Flood being a mindless parasite made sense for the first Halo, but they start to show intelligence in the second and third games, and it's a central plot element by then, you can't just leave that out either.

Well said Bloodl3tt3r. I don't think I could have said it better myself.

What we really need is a director that will stick to the stories that make up the halo universe. I don't mind it going off tangent (a little), so long as it makes sence and gets back to the main story. If spielberg is willing to do that then, I will be looking forward to this film. If he won't do it, then we need a new director.

MINZEZ said:
Well said Bloodl3tt3r. I don't think I could have said it better myself.

What we really need is a director that will stick to the stories that make up the halo universe. I don't mind it going off tangent (a little), so long as it makes sence and gets back to the main story. If spielberg is willing to do that then, I will be looking forward to this film. If he won't do it, then we need a new director.

Director isn't the guy who writes the script, though... lulz

In this case he might be if you've seen some of his interviews. Something that scares me immensely.

Peter Cooper said:
Halo: The Flood would be an awful movie title.

The first movie should be called "Fall of Reach".

The second movie should be called "Halo".

And the third movie should be called "Halo: Last Stand" or something of the sort.

The first book/movie isn't about Halo--the franchise yes, but not the ring-world--so they should save that for the movie that's actually about Halo, the ring-world.

xalener said:
You also needed to ring a bell instead of grab a trophy, but oh well.

That kid IS ringing a bell--look closer.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
...plan to use computerized effects...

For the longest time I was really happy that they were going to use creature costumes because that ALWAYS looks better than CGI...

Now they are making the Covenant completely CG... If they want the Covenant to be this "terrifying alien menace" it'll be much easier to use something real, because it's easier to suspend believe, making it even MORE terrifying... at least that's what I think...

xalener said:
In this case he might be if you've seen some of his interviews. Something that scares me immensely.

Well, he SAYS he's read all the books, read all the comics, and played all the games...

So you think he would know just about as much as we do, even though he has repetitively shown that he doesn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back