Spielberg To Produce Halo: Fall Of Reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodl3tt3r said:
Director isn't the guy who writes the script, though... lulz

What I meant was: If the director (in this case spielberg) doesn't like the script because it doesn't fit in with the halo story that has been built up, then he wont make it. If he does like the idea of screwing up the halo story then we need a new director. Someone that will keep true to the halo story as much as possible.

I can see now where you drew your conclusion from though. I hadn't looked at it fom that perspective when I wrote that. Sorry about the confusion. I have a problem trying to get things out sometimes. Thats the orginisation of a disorganised mind for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
MINZEZ said:
What I meant was: If the director (in this case spielberg) doesn't like the script because it doesn't fit in with the halo story that has been built up, then he wont make it. If he does like the idea of screwing up the halo story then we need a new director. Someone that will keep true to the halo story as much as possible.

I can see now where you drew your conclusion from though. I hadn't looked at it fom that perspective when I wrote that. Sorry about the confusion. I have a problem trying to get things out sometimes. Thats the orginisation of a disorganised mind for you.

It was NEVER the case that Spielberg was suggested as director. He would be the Exec. Producer.

For the longest time I was really happy that they were going to use creature costumes because that ALWAYS looks better than CGI...

Now they are making the Covenant completely CG... If they want the Covenant to be this "terrifying alien menace" it'll be much easier to use something real, because it's easier to suspend believe, making it even MORE terrifying... at least that's what I think...

I totally have to disagree with you bro, WE need to have those creatures completely CG. Nobody can never pull of the body of ANY of the creatures in the Halo games. WETA did a brute costume and trust me, it wasn't pretty. Just imagine a six foot tall person in a suit that is supposed to reach 8+ feet. I know some of will say, "He can use stilts to lift him up" well he won't be able too thatnks the the heavy as hell padding he is going to use to pull it off.

Jackals and Elites are also not do able since they require someone being seriously skinny(think fashion model). The Elite's waist is tiny while his upper torso is huge and muscular. A jackal requires a very skinny person to as well as a skinny, long neck and slender arms and messed up legs.

Hunters are more do able than the other creaturs but still have limitations. One example can be the arms, they are more or less than half it's size. Another example is in the neck. It needs to move like a real neck and not to the movement of the person's head(which makes it look crappy).

Grunts have almost a teardrop-like body, meaning its big on top, but begins to become smaller and small until it end to a "point". The arms and legs start out small and skinny until they end in big, bulgy masses of tissue with fingers and toes.

I seriously hope that the Covenant comes out all CG. Not only will it look great, but you'll have more to play with when your working fighting scenes that require a bunch of alien blood and gore.

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
I totally have to disagree with you bro, WE need to have those creatures completely CG. Nobody can never pull of the body of ANY of the creatures in the Halo games. WETA did a brute costume and trust me, it wasn't pretty. Just imagine a six foot tall person in a suit that is supposed to reach 8+ feet. I know some of will say, "He can use stilts to lift him up" well he won't be able too thatnks the the heavy as hell padding he is going to use to pull it off.

Jackals and Elites are also not do able since they require someone being seriously skinny(think fashion model). The Elite's waist is tiny while his upper torso is huge and muscular. A jackal requires a very skinny person to as well as a skinny, long neck and slender arms and messed up legs.

Hunters are more do able than the other creaturs but still have limitations. One example can be the arms, they are more or less than half it's size. Another example is in the neck. It needs to move like a real neck and not to the movement of the person's head(which makes it look crappy).

Grunts have almost a teardrop-like body, meaning its big on top, but begins to become smaller and small until it end to a "point". The arms and legs start out small and skinny until they end in big, bulgy masses of tissue with fingers and toes.

I seriously hope that the Covenant comes out all CG. Not only will it look great, but you'll have more to play with when your working fighting scenes that require a bunch of alien blood and gore.

-Pony

i agree with you mostly, but the cg could end up being star wars:clone wars enemy cg, and ruin the ferocity of the covenant

i agree with you mostly, but the cg could end up being star wars:clone wars enemy cg, and ruin the ferocity of the covenant

The enemy CG in Star Wars: Clone wars are nothing compared to the the Covenant if they do make the movie. Droids usually use the "spray and pray" tactic. Covenant forces have brains and have been trained for war. You will expect them to use cover and dodge in coming fire instead of walking right into it.

I am pretty confident that the Covenant will fight more like soldiers instead of mindless clankers, lol

-Pony

@ACDC

I didn't mean completely costumed. If anything, mostly costumed with CG to enhance certain aspects that would normally be extremely difficult to replicate.

Plus, size shouldn't be an issue either, considering the limitless power of blue-screening, masking, and angles.

I just think that a lot of CG nowadays aren't as consistent as they should be--take GI Joe for example.

Ronster said:
full_movieimage_18080.jpg

I think this image is fake, look closely, the elites are just photoshopped pics from Halo 2, 3, and Halo wars. And the elite on the far left? Its a multiplayer shot with... Dual SMGs?! I would hope the covenant would stick with covenant weapons in the movie, and if I see any multiplayer references at all, I will be really pissed.

EDIT

Haha this one looks even more fake, Look at the spartan's armor, it's a Halo 3 concept image, and mark VI in fall of reach? Also, look at the blurred-out elite on the right look a bit strange? Yes, its a halo 2 heretic elite, fighing alongside halo 3 grunts, in Fall of Feach, FAIL!!

Ronster said:
[/img]http://www.latinoreview.com//images/upload/movieimages/full_movieimage_18264.jpg

Overlord_Ian said:
I think this image is fake, look closely, the elites are just photoshopped pics from Halo 2, 3, and Halo wars. And the elite on the far left? Its a multiplayer shot with... Dual SMGs?! I would hope the covenant would stick with covenant weapons in the movie, and if I see any multiplayer references at all, I will be really pissed.

EDIT

Haha this one looks even more fake, Look at the spartan's armor, it's a Halo 3 concept image, and mark VI in fall of reach? Also, look at the blurred-out elite on the right look a bit strange? Yes, its a halo 2 heretic elite, fighing alongside halo 3 grunts, in Fall of Feach

Have you considered the possibility that this was generated by someone who simply had no idea what was going on? Like, you know, Stuart Beattie?

In the top image, you see Spartans SURRENDERING. Plasma pistols firing pink in the lower image. The exact same air battle is taking place in the background. The stuff is awful, and it just makes me prouder of the work I've done with my concept artists for Operation Chastity to be honest.

Peter Cooper said:
Have you considered the possibility that this was generated by someone who simply had no idea what was going on? Like, you know, Stuart Beattie?

In the top image, you see Spartans SURRENDERING. Plasma pistols firing pink in the lower image. The exact same air battle is taking place in the background. The stuff is awful, and it just makes me prouder of the work I've done with my concept artists for Operation Chastity to be honest.

this concept art was made by some jap dude, i think. but he was working from the Beattie script...

And yes, OC's concept art OWNS this stuff

I just think that a lot of CG nowadays aren't as consistent as they should be--take GI Joe for example.

Why does everyone have to compare stuff with G.I Joe?

Why don't you guys look at the other films with great CG, like Jurassic park or Lord Of The Rings?

Jurassic park had those awsome Dinos that looked really life like. Lord of The Rings had HUGE, beautiful landscapes, as well as masssive armies of the monster things! The best part was...THEY MADE 20 OR MORE HORSE RIDERS LOOK LIKE 20,000!!

I wonder how the movie would look like if ILM could make the effects!

-Pony

(y)

We haven't even seen a teaser or a new concept art, why must we judge it.

Personally, I thought movies like Transformers and Pirates of the Carribean was going to be really retarded, and they were really great.

What I would say is that I don't think it matters, between ILM and Weta, who actually delivers the effects - they will likely be mind-blowing whoever does them. What fundamentally matters is the vision of the director having interpreted the script provided by the screenwriters.

Shade, would you say those two examples weren't retarded, or that they were retarded but enjoyable? Because I really wouldn't want the Halo movie I went to see to be a mindless action film.

ACDCrockr209 said:
Why don't you guys look at the other films with great CG, like Jurassic park or Lord Of The Rings?

Because that had a LOT of practical effects.

This is different.

They want to do the Covenant COMPLETELY digital.

Peter Cooper said:
What I would say is that I don't think it matters, between ILM and Weta, who actually delivers the effects - they will likely be mind-blowing whoever does them. What fundamentally matters is the vision of the director having interpreted the script provided by the screenwriters.

Shade, would you say those two examples weren't retarded, or that they were retarded but enjoyable? Because I really wouldn't want the Halo movie I went to see to be a mindless action film.

By retarded, I meant just a really bad movie idea, but I was wrong about that, as for HALO I would hope it would be more than just action.

I agree with minzez on the comedy, none of the crap kids stuff like for example i like transformers 2 but all it was was kids comedy just a bunch of "ow my balls!" or a lot of cuss words. But i think that spilberg maybe able to pull this off if he gets his stuff straightened out. I would love to see spilberg help make a good movie like ET or other that i cant remember off hand but He use to be a good director but he has let some of his movies go to the dumps, I havent read all the way thought the 8 paged thread so i dont know if this has been said but ill keep reading. I am also wanting this but im not wanting a crap movie if you know what i mean.

Thanks,

Th3 FETT MAN

Bloodl3tt3r said:
The chance of them getting any actor who isn't already really well-known for a movie like this is probably close to nil. They've got the fact that it's the Halo franchise, now they just want to make it sell even more, so they'll stick some ******* in a suit into the movie (All of the sudden, Gerard Butler popped into my head - please god, no) and tell everyone who it is so they can be like "oh, but *insert name* is in it so it has to be good!"

As it is, to the guy who said it should be a cross between District 9 and GI Joe:

District 9, yes. Definitely. Blomkamp worked on that stuff, and you saw his Halo work or else you get banned from this site for being a heathen. :p(just kidding)

GI Joe? Idk if you've read Stig's rant (If you object to offensive words and massive hate, don't.), but he has it spot-on. I don't know why anyone ever followed a Beattie script for anything, the man is a retard. In GI Joe, he focused too much on putting in movie cliches, comedy, he even thought that ice sinks.

That, and the Delta-6 suit motions looked terrible. And those are obvious MJOLNIR knock-offs.

I'd much rather it be, say, a mix of SPR (for the quality acting), District 9 (because it's been proven that Blomkamp and WETA can do great and wondrous things), and if we can boot Beattie's script out and use, say, Alex Garland's original again, then we might have something there.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, you could use the goddamn book itself as a script and it'd be better. I've always wondered why nobody does that. You can take artistic liberties with how battles play out, add in scenes and stuff, but seriously, for movies like this where the script is based off a book... your script was written long ago.

Yeah the harry potter movies followed the books pretty closely and were damn good as for the delta 6 suits i was thinking more a fallout 3 plus Mjlnor armor look to them

ACDCrockr209 said:

-Pony

Kind of a closed minded way to look at it. Who said the suits can't be only partially real with some CG limbs? I'm sure you say zathura. There were only about 3 shots of any creature that were full digital. The robot was a suit with CG arms and legs, and look how badass that was! The lizards were full suits with CG legs. The head was a large animatronic piece that came out the chest. The actor's head came out the back and was erased in post. There are plenty of loopholes in the human anatomy.

And trust me. Weta's brute suit wasn't supposed to be serious. It was probably just a placeholder costume made out of parts from existing creature costumes+some rushed armor. Do you honestly think a professional prop/costume studio would get away with that as a final product?

I can actually imagine the hunter being a large foam filled rod puppet. Don't take the term "puppet" lightly. It's a powerful way to make creatures seem real. Especially with rig removal being so easy nowadays.

The elites could be a guy on stilts with an animatronic head (cable controlled neck) and his arms are in the torso. He'd be on wires for stability and maneuverability. The arms would be CG.

Jackals are easy, since they're actually as tall as an average human. They're digitigrade legs are not as exaggerated as the elite's, so you could get away with a "high heel" rig on the legs. And don't worry about skinny suit people either. People who are abnormally skinny LINE UP for jobs like this. Hell, one of them plays damn near everyone in every movie. Abe sapien, the imp in Doom, the angel of death (hellboyII).

Trust me. I know how these things work. No shape is impossible to replicate in a suit. As long as it has 2 arms and two legs...hell THAT'S not even a limit! As long as the arms are on the side...nope. That's not a limit either. CG is just used as an excuse nowadays to stop thinking. "DUUURRR I DON NOE HAAW TO MEAK DA LEGGZ MOVE LIEK DIS IMMA JUSS DO SOME CG LOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!11"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back