Spyware Protect Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 270

Okay, so recently I had this virus on my computer called the Spyware Protect 2009 virus. Basically its a trojan that uses the Conficker E worm to enter your computer. When I had it, it constantly displays fake alert messages that say your computer is infected. It also played random audio in the background. It will start running a fake anti spyware program that brings up fake results to trick you into buying the "full version" of the software which basically reveals your credit card number and makes you screwed. Luckily I knew all of this and used Malwarebytes to find the thing. It found the virus and I had AVG put it into the virus vault. Now the alerts and stuff have stopped. I'm pretty sure I've found all the parts of the virus because I've scanned my computer like 20 times over after the first scan that detected the stuff and so far it says my computer is clean. Now, a friend of mine said that this virus potentially can steal password and such. I've changed all of my passwords and stuff that I logged in with when the virus was in my computer. ( I didn't know it was in my computer then) My question now is, is it safe to log in now? I've checked AVG virus vault and it says it has the virus contained in the virus vault. So can I log in to my stuff now? I just don't want my passwords being stolen or anything. If anyone can help me with this that would very helpful. Thanks.

If your that concerned about it, i'de consider formatting just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't risk it..

basically, you're safe if you haven't chosen the same password everywhere, because they'd like your email pwd, but won't care about your 405th pwd.

if you were lazy and used the same pwd everywhere, I suggest changing the pwd for security sensitive stuff like email.

to be on the safer side with really important stuff, use the on-screen virtual keyboard which comes with windows.

obviously, like delta38 said, safest option is formatting, but not always the most practical.

Yes, I changed the passwords to the accounts I logged in while I had the virus. Ever since I removed it I have changed pretty much everything just to be safe. I never entered any important information on my computer at all. On a side note, I guess I'm kind of lucky because a friend of mine said that when he got this on his computer it stopped him from downloading anti spyware/virus and accessing the internet. When I had it, it never did any of those, so I guess it didn't fully take root in my computer yet when I removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back