Started Cardboard Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Siliconed the front half of the ghost. It'll take about a week to fully dry. I'll do the rest of the bottom with silicone but I will need to find something better for the top to give a smooth appearance. A buddy was suggesting that I use fiberglass sheets. That would allow it be more mold like. Not sure. Trying to keep total cost under $150. That way if someone else wants one it'd be reasonable to make both for me and for them. Still planning on other vehicles after this. Warthog maybe. That's on the drawing board now. But anyways, any suggestions on what to do about the top? Was even thinking of using that fatigue foam. I want to keep the weight down being that the wearer will be responsible for holding it up.
20211031_162539.jpg

20211106_113018.jpg
Entire bottom is now coated with silicone. I will trim it up to make it look nice but I don't think I'm going to smooth it out like I will the top half. It will at least it more waterproof than what it was. So if it lays on the grass it won't soak up the moisture. Still might smooth it out though. Not sure. Gotta keep the weight down.

I have decided to do my first costume Ghost out of cardboard. When completed, the wearer should be able to be in full Spartan or ODST armor and slip it over them. With the suspenders attached to the ghost, the wearer will give the appearance that they are riding inside the ghost. I will also have handles inside to help balance the ghost and make it look like you're driving it as well. Any tips or suggestions is well appreciated.
Will update with pictures as I go.
20211109_190556.jpg

Final coat of drywall puddy. I siliconed entire body then pudied entire top half with DAP drydex lightweight low dust joint compound. Being lightweight it won't flake as much. Once dry, I'll sand and fix what I need to then paint. 75% of the way done.
20211109_190613.jpg

I have decided to do my first costume Ghost out of cardboard. When completed, the wearer should be able to be in full Spartan or ODST armor and slip it over them. With the suspenders attached to the ghost, the wearer will give the appearance that they are riding inside the ghost. I will also have handles inside to help balance the ghost and make it look like you're driving it as well. Any tips or suggestions is well appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211109_190603.jpg
    20211109_190603.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 121
I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out, its looking pretty good structurally, so it will be interesting to see how the final product looks
Me too. I'm also thinking about making it look like it's been through battle. I find it funny that no matter how damaged they get in the games they look brand new until they blow up. On the front right side I have an indent that formed while putting puddy on to cover up the tape. It makes it look like it ran into something. Might just leave it. I'm also debating on color scheme. I keep seeing banashished ghosts and wonder why not be the first for that. The banished wouldn't have the best looking vehicles but it would still look good. Not sure yet. What's your thoughts?

A banished ghost would be neat, especially with infinite just around the corner, and the idea for battle damage is pretty cool, it would be good practice for weathering work. I still have a hard time with making my stuff look weathered and not just brand new.

After testing the ropes, I discovered that the front end dips a bit which is to be expected. To compensate for the weight of the front end, I inserted two dial rods that are attached to each other underneath. I attached two smaller dial rods on top to prevent them from slipping down and they'll also help hold the ropes. The smaller dial rods also give the appearance of two guns on top of the ghost. And yes the ductape will be covered so you don't see it. Thoughts?
20211123_190932.jpg

Seems like a fun project, looking forward to the final result!
It is. I think I'll finish this then make another one. The next one will be straight cardboard and tape then painted. This one is going to look good but looks more like drywall than cardboard now after I mudded everything to give it a smoother look. Oh well, live and learn. It'll still look good. Not sure where I'm going to store it though. My boys are already pretending that they're Spartans. Doesn't help that they both have Spartan Costumes like their old man but it's a fun project for all of us. Going to take a mini video of me going around the yard with it when it's done. Might even put my Master Chief costume.

My boys are already pretending that they're Spartans. Doesn't help that they both have Spartan Costumes like their old man but it's a fun project for all of us.
I was wondering what inspired making it that scale. I imagine it's going to inspire many playful battles around the house! It's looking good so far and I'm excited to see it in a nice paint job flying around!

I was wondering what inspired making it that scale. I imagine it's going to inspire many playful battles around the house! It's looking good so far and I'm excited to see it in a nice paint job flying around!
My inspiration first started Altoona Comic Con. I love Halo and as soon as I walked on, the 405th Halo group was set up right in front. All the costumes were awesome. I decided right there and then that I wanted to be part of it. In order to do that I was told to join here and do the probationary stuff to become a full fledged member. The only thing I have left is make it to January as all other tasks have been completed. I now have the task of making a costume like nobody else has or had,(My goal for myself). I started thinking about costumes and thought why not go outside the box and then that's when it hit me. Make an old fashioned costume vehicle out of a cardboard box like back in the 1960's. Decided to do the ghost first and then I might start on a Warthog If this turns out like I want. Only thing I'll do different is leave it more cardboard looking. The ghost after mudding over the tape looks more like drywall but I still like it. So, basically that's my inspiration. On a side note: I make stuff out of tires all the time so I love making stuff. Cardboard is definitely different but good. Best thing I've made so far to date is a Tire Godzilla that was featured on Pennsylvania's local tv show Kaleidoscope. Stands 6 ft tall and weighed 250+ lbs. Hopefully I can do with cardboard what I can do with tires and that is to make anything. Thanks for asking.

Screenshot_20211023-191347~2.png
The winning paint scheme has been decided by a poll in a separate post and the winner is the classic ghost paint scheme. I was the deciding vote and took a mini poll with my family during Thanksgiving. Everyone decided on the classic ghost paint scheme so that's what decided my vote. I was thinking about doing the banished but was leant towards classic. I will be making it more battle ridden look.

All the final mudding and sanding is complete. The top two dial rods were added. Now just have to wait to dry and it'll be time to paint. Going to Home Depot tomorrow. The gray I'm going to paint on with a brush. Still debating on the purple. If I spray it then I'll have to go back over with gray for a faded look. But if I spray the gray then spray the purple I might not have to. Will post pictures as I go as usual.
20211126_202715.jpg

20211206_101723.jpg

Undercoat and primer has been added. I'm going for a battle look classic Ghost so the primer on top is spotty to help with that effect. I'm hoping to get the purple on this week but with Halo Infinite campaign coming out on Wednesday, this project might be on a hold a couple of weeks. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see what time I have. I am married with children after all and anytime I have to myself is very little but I wouldn't change it for the world.

20211207_101535.jpg
Classic Ghost paint has been applied. All that's left is to paint in the little details, post that pic, then put my Spartan jumpsuit on with Helmet, take her for a spin, and take a picture of that and possibly a small video. I'm thinking by New Years it should be complete. Would be sooner but I want to play the campaign for Infinite. Thoughts so far?

View attachment 312303Just gotta touch up some of the purple to make less battle damaged and then add the little touches here and there and it'll be done. Thoughts on how to make the battle damage pop and not look like I suck at painting? Adding more purple back will help but any other ideas would be great. Thank you
How are you currently weathering it? For paint chipping, I'd recommend using a dark grey (which seems common for covenant technology), and take a brush and go around the edges with it.

This is the general idea behind it, but for something of this size, you can try going more heavy-handed with it.

20211217_132826.jpg
20211217_132654.jpg
20211217_132848.jpg
The cardboard Ghost has been given the battle damaged look, the guns painted and put on, and now it sits drying on top of my moving wagon that I use for all my projects. It makes it easier to move and paint. Once dried, I will go back and add all the little details. Once that's done I'll add the suspenders and take it for a ride with pictures provided. As for weathering: I have 6 coats of high gloss paint covering the cardboard. I'm not planning on leaving it outside. It'll be hanging in my Halo collection. If I build the warthog next that'll also be in my collection which is inside my basement. Truly blessed to have a wonderful wife who like my creative side and two boys that love Halo as much as I do.
Thoughts so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back