Stiilus' Armour & Weapon Builds (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Id never considered powdered wall mud mixed with poly resin... I would have "ass"umed that it would mave made a chalky and brittle solid once cured. I think that just out of sheer curiosity i will have to mix some up in different ratios just to see what happens.

Cheers and carry on,
You have the room!

i would normally add no more than quarter the quantity by size, not weight, but rather mass of powder to the resin. ie; if you look to have a cup of resin then i would add a quarter of a cup of pollyfilla. i don't really have a weight ratio to work off here, because i really only work with about 50g of resin at a time i usually only add a level desert spoon of filler and stir thoroughly before adding in the mekp. being celulose reinforced helps it bond with the resin i guess, but it also helps the quantity of resin go further. when this mix is supplemented with the matting i find i get less bubbles in the piece i'm working on, probably because the resin now has a specific weight to it, it's not just a liquid, but has something denser embedded in it...

remember though, too much filler and the resin will loose all structural integrity, regardless of how much celulose is in it...
hope that helps :) ...

Understood. Thanks for the input. I will always take the advise of the person who has already been through the "trial and error" portion of trying something out.

epic helm was that your very first one?

at the first i thot that you should have wet sanded it cus i still notice some minor faults but then wen you started to give it that worn out look it made it even better. really beatiful loved it especially with the decals you put into it

sorry im such a perfectionist but im pretty sure my first build wud be crap that i might redo it :D

epic helm was that your very first one?

at the first i thot that you should have wet sanded it cus i still notice some minor faults but then wen you started to give it that worn out look it made it even better. really beatiful loved it especially with the decals you put into it

sorry im such a perfectionist but im pretty sure my first build wud be crap that i might redo it :D

no, it's actually my third helmet. my first was a semi HD MkVI and my second was the EVA in my sig.

in some of the shots it does look like the surface has some ripples in the paint, especially on the larger flat area's (including those that are curved) but i think that it's more the way the light was reflected off the surface due to it being so glossy. the only real stuff up is in front of the left hand light house, where i was a bit too hasty to apply the next layer of paint before the one underneath had dried, but it think that once the blackwash was applied, the texture that was exposed really worked for the best.

as for some of the smaller area's like the cut in details behind the rebreathers, i wanted there to be a slightly rougher surface in there to make it look like the grime (via the blackwash) was really caked up. if i was going to cast this helmet i probably would have spent more time smoothing those area's out so as to be less work finishing on the casts, but given the nature of the helmets history (it's a bastardization of someone else's 3D model) that wasn't going to happen anyway :D ...

I'm glad you liked it... i've wired up the lighting rigs yesterday, and just have to install them now. i should get time to do that this afternoon, then i've just got to line it :D ...

@stiillus ohh icic. yea the rebreathers really give it that grime look you were looking for. really made so worn down props man for the beautiful paintjob.

looking forward for the update you will have

i would normally add no more than quarter the quantity by size, not weight, but rather mass of powder to the resin. ie; if you look to have a cup of resin then i would add a quarter of a cup of pollyfilla. i don't really have a weight ratio to work off here, because i really only work with about 50g of resin at a time i usually only add a level desert spoon of filler and stir thoroughly before adding in the mekp. being celulose reinforced helps it bond with the resin i guess, but it also helps the quantity of resin go further. when this mix is supplemented with the matting i find i get less bubbles in the piece i'm working on, probably because the resin now has a specific weight to it, it's not just a liquid, but has something denser embedded in it...

remember though, too much filler and the resin will loose all structural integrity, regardless of how much celulose is in it...
hope that helps :) ...

wow. Never thought of using this. Talc is a gypsum, yes sound like a different method of bondo. Now the question is it a easy sand?

well any ways love you're build.

And so here it is, another thrilling installment of the progress on my helmet...

P3190703.jpg

I know some of the techsperts here are going to flip a... well, something really bad anyway at the distinct lack of electrical expertise that I will now convey, but I will admit I know relatively nothing about resistors and what not, and that I am relying solely on what I was taught in year six science... That was eighteen years ago, and besides, my crumby wiring actually does work, despite my huge blobs of solder (I clearly have a fear that I won't make the proper joins without copious amounts of the stuff. Go figure...)

Regardless, as a novice I can however offer some great safety advice.

1) I don't have a proper workspace for doing my electrical stuff, so I use the kitchen sink drain. There are two very good reasons I do work here. It's very well lit via a window and light above it. Proper illumination is essential when working on stuff like this. And, the sink itself is non-flamable... Little drips of solder won't (hopefully) set the house on fire if they drop onto the sink, plus they don't stick too well to stainless steel, and as a result, it just wipes off! :D ...

2) Wear the proper safety equipment. Eye goggles/glasses are an essential when doing soldering. The flux that is embedded in the solder tends to want to have a spit or two. You don't want that stuff in your eyes for very obvious reasons...

For further safety advice, I suggest you check the forums... For electrical advice, check this link. It'll give better advice than I can ever possibly imagine. But I digress...

Following a good rule; "one LED=one resistor", I made up the lights as a kit so to speak. The two lots of lights are pretty much the same (in fact, I made them identical), so I wired up a resistor to the positive side each on four LED's. With all of them the same, I was minimizing the risk of making mistakes. Like so...

P3190706.jpg

P3190719.jpg

Once I had them all made up, I stripped the ends off some "bell" wire (the wire generally used to wire up doorbells) and twisted it in place on the resistors before soldering them as well. Seeing as my town demands that there be a shortage of shrink wrap plastic, I had to think outside of the cuboid prism and come up with plan B. Plan B consists of electrical tape and a small cut of 4mm clear vinyl tube. I used the tubing as "spaghetti" (not my terminology, but what it's actually called) to isolate the positive from the negative so they wouldn't come in contact with each other and short out... I also wrapped a bit of electrical tape over the negative cathode coming from the LED after I had soldered it up for the same reasons. Here's one I prepared earlier...

P3190721.jpg

P3190725.jpg

Anyway, the switches I bought are just simple toggle switches. However, they're tiny little buggers, so I had to solder the two incoming wires together into a common single positive wire due to a lack of space on the bottom of my switches... I hope that makes sense... Again, I twisted the wires together before soldering, allowing to cool, then wrapping in electrical tape...

P3190729.jpg

Ok, so there wasn't any premade bulb reflectors in the electric/hobby shop I was in, so I went back to what I used for my EVA helmet. They're actually nothing to do with electronics. These little babies are called MACDRIVE nails. They're used in the building industry in the place of DYNABOLT's, where using a nail would be easier than using a bolt to hold non-structural framework to a cement slab or masonry wall... As the nail is driven home in a pre-drilled hole, the tip splits open and flairs, holding the frame in place... I must be the only person to have bought these from my work in the last 3 years... Again, I'm going off topic a bit here. I removed the nail and cut the head off the lead sleeve (remember to use safety glasses and a respirator when cutting lead) with my Dremel, then filed the backs off smooth before drilling into the backs to allow the LED's to sit further forward behind them. My cordless drill was going flat at this point in time, so the lower RPM actually made for a much easier job as the lead heads are quite soft... What I ended up with was 4 mock up reflectors, like so...

P3190730.jpg

P3190737.jpg

I test fitted just to make sure they were going to work. I had to file the side off one just a little to get a better fit on the right hand side, but made sure to follow the curve of it to make sure it wouldn't stand out... Thankfully, any marks I made on them while in this stage would dull off naturally over time, so I wasn't fretting too much about being careful with them...

P3190739.jpg

Because they all fit pretty good, I went ahead and glued them in place, again using the Fullaprene I've spoken of before...

Waiting for them to dry was going to take a while, so I started on the mesh inside the rebreather vents. I plan on using a polyester cloth over the inside of these again, minimizing the chance of any light coming in through the vents and thus showing my face... I probably won't get to that though until I line the inside of the helmet...

P3190743.jpg

And finally, here's a photo of my very basic wiring rigs, just to show how simple the set ups can be... I need to get another battery, but I did test both circuits, and both work just fine... Those in the know will identify them as parallel circuits. You get a more even distribution of electricity over series circuits with this kind of set up, so, other novices, pay close attention, you'll get a more professional finish if you go with this type of circuit...

P3190726.jpg

And that's all I've got time for today. This was the last day of my 2 and a half week holiday, and while I didn't get to finish all the helmet off, I did get a fair bit done and I'm very happy with that. If I get some more time this up coming weekend, I should be able to get the circuits in the helmet and start to line the inside... If not, maybe later... Anyway, I'm off to iron some work shirts now, then I'm going to bed, so tootle ohms and bai bai...

wow. Never thought of using this. Talc is a gypsum, yes sound like a different method of bondo. Now the question is it a easy sand?

well any ways love you're build.

it's very easy to sand. kinda. i prefer to file it because sanding takes a while, and again, i use the Dremel a fair bit, but i also find i can cut details into it alot easier than just regular fiberglass. kinda like doing details in a clay sculpt i guess, except it's nothing like it ;) ...

when i eventually put up the pics i do have of my EVA, i'll show just how easy you can cut details into it... after i've built up a few layers of this and the matting together, i sometimes do a conventional layer of matting and regular fiberglass on the inside to add a bit more rigidity to the piece :) ...

lmao! Very nice use of the concrete anchors!!!
I would have never thought of that. See... this is what I love about this place, its the things you learn and the techniques you see... They take you in directions you otherwise never would have thought of and give you ideas that you never would have had!

It truly is great, everyone here has the potential to learn and share something new.
Fantastic work!
Cheers.

lmao! Very nice use of the concrete anchors!!!
I would have never thought of that. See... this is what I love about this place, its the things you learn and the techniques you see... They take you in directions you otherwise never would have thought of and give you ideas that you never would have had!

It truly is great, everyone here has the potential to learn and share something new.
Fantastic work!
Cheers.

i was looking for something to use for ages when i was doing the EVA helmet just to finish the LED's off. anyway, while i was doing the shop order one week, i was in the bolt section and one of the MACDRIVE's nails had fallen out of it socket and i just happened to glance it as i walked past. after i'd finished laughing at the sheer simplicity of it i knew i had to give it a try... they're pretty easy to set up and give the helmets a real industrial feel i think :) ...

OMG Stiilus your helmet and gun are amazing. so much detail, im sad that i have missed so much of this! Im watching now though! :)

OMG Stiilus your helmet and gun are amazing. so much detail, im sad that i have missed so much of this! Im watching now though! :)

there's really not that much detail in it actually, it's more just how i applied the paint that makes it look detailed. i'm glad you like them both... i was going to start a new thread for the gun, but i really didn't have that many photo's of it so i chucked it up here seeing as it was something i finished off while working on the helmet.
I should have some shots up of the lights in the helmet this afternoon or later tonight :D ...

Lighting looks great, far better then mine in fact. And thanks for the input on the talc.:D

Well whatever your doing, your doing it right lol
Cant wait to see more :)

thanks Mstruvmgc. i finally put the lighting in and should have some pics of it up tonight. after that all i really have to do is pad it. i need to make a better house for the batteries though, right now i just have small hot glue tabs on them just for place holders. i've got something planned for that though...

Lighting looks great, far better then mine in fact. And thanks for the input on the talc.:D

how did you go with the talc. i was a bit daunted by trying it out myself at first, but that's kinda why i'm here though isn't it; trying new things out :D ... after i did the whole trial and error thing i just do it now like it's second nature... in fact, the brim on this build is a solid block from using this technique in layers. it does mean that this helmet is a little front heavy, but once it's all padded it shouldn't slip forward at all :) .

i want to take a really good mold of something super detailed and see how the filler/resin mix goes casting one day. i shouldn't imagine it being too much different to just casting regular fiberglass, but it'd be more a matter of knowing how thin you can make it without cutting down on structural integrity...

Hey hey groovy groovers... I finally got off my arse and decided to upload the pics of the lighting installed... It's nothing too fancy, just a couple of basic parallel circuits like I mentioned before. I just inserted them in from behind the little "reflectors" I showed you all earlier and used hot melt glue to hold them in place. Like I said, very basic, and nothing fancy.

P3250756.jpg

P3250757.jpg

P3250758.jpg

Each circuit has it's own battery to reduce strain upon a single unit instead. The hardest part of all this was making sure I had enough wire to run the batteries to the back of the helmet...

The LED's are pretty bright, I chucked the helmet on my head earlier tonight and went for a walk around the yard in the dark with them on, and I could see everything very clearly, even from behind a tinted visor :D ...

P3250760.jpg

I know it's kind of a pointless photo to put in, but you can "sort of" get the idea of how bright they are from this pic... It's almost like having four mini torches strapped to your head I guess. I think I'll have to get more electronics savvy so I can give a small tutorial on it or something sometime... Maybe...

So here's the third installment in an ongoing saga featuring Fred Jr. cause he kept complaining he wasn't in this thread yet. I'll have to upgrade to an actual video camera one day as opposed to my digital camera for video as the quality in the vids so far is just atrocious... Anyway, the vid explains stuff I'm too lazy/tired to explain at this late hour. I do plan on covering the wires up with lining so don't go judging it just yet, it'll end up looking very neat I promise ;) ...

Meanwhile, I've been working on a new unfold of MOZ's interesting pre Anniversary Prototype helmet which I hope to build sometime later on down the track as a companion to this helmet. If I get permission to upload the file I will.

So that's all for this weekend, hopefully I get some time in for the padding during the week, if not it'll have to be the weekend. Stay tuned people, we're nearly done :D ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is one beautiful helmet. I really like how you made the reflectors. They add a nice touch, and it's also pretty cool how you set up the lights on two different circuits. Fantastic job dude, really.

Well I know myself and many others look forward to more progress pics :)

i just checked the view count... WOW! i hadn't realized just how many people were watching.. i'm very humbled... Thank you everyone who's been viewing...

You sir are a master of battle damage, friggin sweet man

thank you NZ-Ethan, thank you. i hope to be able to do a full tutorial on how i do it now i have a tripod (i went to the "not-so-big" big smoke during my holidays and picked it up pretty cheap). it was a real pain not being able to use both hands for the blackwash vid i put up. but now with the tripod i can really get into it to show people how i do my weathering. i'm glad you like it :) ...

Wow this is one beautiful helmet. I really like how you made the reflectors. They add a nice touch, and it's also pretty cool how you set up the lights on two different circuits. Fantastic job dude, really.

thank you Bishorzidi. i only wish i lived in a much larger town capable of providing some more real authentic stuff for doing builds like this, but...
i'm a very firm believer that "necessity is the mother of all inventions" so i had to come up with a viable solution as opposed to moving :) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back