Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGear

Hello lovely yet so lovely 405th members. I am doing Gears armor but i want to do some great detailing work atleast attempt to yah know? I want to use clay but i have read that alot of clay is used for detailing future molds... I dont have the proper space nor money for molds but i just wanted a good clay to detail with and will stay hard once im done detailing. A type of clay thats sandable any fairly easy to use. Any suggestions comments, concerns or questions are highly welcome. Again thank you 405th for all of your help. :D

It depends on what your building off of. If your doing pepakura, it wouldnt work at all i dont believe. To get a clay that would be hard enough to stand up to anything, it would have to be atleast oven bake. The thing is, air dry is the softest, the oven, then kiln fired is usually the hardest, best quality. Really, your best bet would be to build up bondo like most people do and like hammer said.

Clay really is more for moulding rather than using on a wearable piece, you might be able to get away with a bakeable clay like Sculpey but I doubt it would stand up to use like fiberglass and bondo.

you could use a polymer clay......A mix of Puppen Fimo, Cernit and Fimo Mix Quick has proved to be strong....but we prob shattered your bank by the time you get enough to make a helmet out of....the cheapest....mold able clay like is.....body filler...sorry as far as wearing it goes...thats pretty much your cheapest option

I can imagine it being incredibly heavy and would probally break easily. Go with the good ol' pep, it will help keep the armor much more symetrical

thank you guys i really appreciate it, i have already bondo'd the helmet and i am doing the sanding portion now, it looks like more bondo will be my best bet, its just a struggle to sand but i appreciate all of your thoughts guys it helped out a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back