Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
OH MY GOD!!!!!! Another build being started by me.......as if I didn't have enough on my plate. Well, This is one that is going to take a while since I'm still building my Argus suit and also deciding on the type of material I'm going to use.......AND........ I still have other things on the front burner. I got the blueprints and exploded version from Punished Props and scaled it to the size I wanted......4 feet 4 inches!!!! Monstrous!!!! My DMR is 3'6" and that is a nice size prop. This is going to be a bit shorter than my M247H but not by much.

IMG_0362.jpg

I am very much leaning towards using insulation foam as I can carve it out.....something which I have never done but would love to try. I thought about using foam-board but that doesn't have the consistency for carving. The foam used doesn't take to sanding well. It just shreds and makes a mess.

So I got to cutting out the template and really only got up to cutting out the full body........

IMG_0364.jpg

Then I realized.........."Hey, I'm missing something"............I don't have the exploded templates. Very strange. I guess I left them at work. I get in this morning and no joy. Can't find them. Worse off is I didn't save the file to match the size of the full template.......Now I have to cut up a full size one to make the separate components........

IMG_0365.jpg

Good thing I printed out 3 sets....(at least I saved that file).......Now I just need to correctly cut up 1 of them. Punished Props build this out of MDF.....I have built stuff w/ this, but never a prop. I know its on the heavy side. Has anyone build anything w/ it? It definitely would be sturdy and strong but I'm concerned w/ the weight......do I really want to walk around w/ a prop that weighs in at around 10lbs for a few hours at a con? That is a lot of weight.

xXDashIVXx

Sr Member
I think it's too small. Watching ol' Bill "chin beard" Doran hold it, it looked like it was 3/4 scale.
Well... I dont know. Scaling can be pretty finicky between different people. I realized today that I printed my DMR at game scale. I forgot to readjust it, so even though in suit I am maybe 4" shorter than a spartan IV, it looks like it will turn out fine. It will just be a big boy... I think the most pressing matter here is not how it will look with Dirtdives next to it, but that dirtdives actually scaled it to a usable size...

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
Well... I dont know. Scaling can be pretty finicky between different people. I realized today that I printed my DMR at game scale. I forgot to readjust it, so even though in suit I am maybe 4" shorter than a spartan IV, it looks like it will turn out fine. It will just be a big boy... I think the most pressing matter here is not how it will look with Dirtdives next to it, but that dirtdives actually scaled it to a usable size...
I was actually shooting for a bit larger......but my printer space couldn't handle it w/o having to break it in half horizontally......didn't want to go through that hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.