System 99-S5 Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
OH MY GOD!!!!!! Another build being started by me.......as if I didn't have enough on my plate. Well, This is one that is going to take a while since I'm still building my Argus suit and also deciding on the type of material I'm going to use.......AND........ I still have other things on the front burner. I got the blueprints and exploded version from Punished Props and scaled it to the size I wanted......4 feet 4 inches!!!! Monstrous!!!! My DMR is 3'6" and that is a nice size prop. This is going to be a bit shorter than my M247H but not by much.

IMG_0362.jpg

I am very much leaning towards using insulation foam as I can carve it out.....something which I have never done but would love to try. I thought about using foam-board but that doesn't have the consistency for carving. The foam used doesn't take to sanding well. It just shreds and makes a mess.

So I got to cutting out the template and really only got up to cutting out the full body........

IMG_0364.jpg

Then I realized.........."Hey, I'm missing something"............I don't have the exploded templates. Very strange. I guess I left them at work. I get in this morning and no joy. Can't find them. Worse off is I didn't save the file to match the size of the full template.......Now I have to cut up a full size one to make the separate components........

IMG_0365.jpg

Good thing I printed out 3 sets....(at least I saved that file).......Now I just need to correctly cut up 1 of them. Punished Props build this out of MDF.....I have built stuff w/ this, but never a prop. I know its on the heavy side. Has anyone build anything w/ it? It definitely would be sturdy and strong but I'm concerned w/ the weight......do I really want to walk around w/ a prop that weighs in at around 10lbs for a few hours at a con? That is a lot of weight.

I think it's too small. Watching ol' Bill "chin beard" Doran hold it, it looked like it was 3/4 scale.
Well... I dont know. Scaling can be pretty finicky between different people. I realized today that I printed my DMR at game scale. I forgot to readjust it, so even though in suit I am maybe 4" shorter than a spartan IV, it looks like it will turn out fine. It will just be a big boy... I think the most pressing matter here is not how it will look with Dirtdives next to it, but that dirtdives actually scaled it to a usable size...

Well... I dont know. Scaling can be pretty finicky between different people. I realized today that I printed my DMR at game scale. I forgot to readjust it, so even though in suit I am maybe 4" shorter than a spartan IV, it looks like it will turn out fine. It will just be a big boy... I think the most pressing matter here is not how it will look with Dirtdives next to it, but that dirtdives actually scaled it to a usable size...
I was actually shooting for a bit larger......but my printer space couldn't handle it w/o having to break it in half horizontally......didn't want to go through that hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back