Team Win Studios : Odst Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbot

Jr Member
Hello 405th,

Team Win Studios is proud to announce our most current project. Over the past few months, we have been intensely working on our ODST Armor for DragonCon 2009. Over the course of this time, we have re-geared the project multiple times and are finally happy to say we have some major progress worth reporting. Originally, this was to be a WETA ODST project. We covered significant ground in the project, but with the release of the HALO 3: ODST teaser trailer and more information to follow at E3, we decided to turn our attention to the in-game models of the armor. This meant we were back to square one, but with much gained experience this time. Our work continues on the original helmet, but in the mean time we have already begun work on the Dutch Helmet from the game, and have significant progress on the rest of the armor.

The team includes: Todd (SN: Goosebot 5000); Leader/Project Manager

Erin (SN: Erinocolypse); Pep work/Apprentice to Goosebot 5000

Jason (SN: Techbot); Apprentice to Goosebot 5000

Goosebot 5000/Todd is the head of our prop studio. He introduced this project/propping in general to Erin and myself last summer. He has taught us a lot and we have all learned a lot together as well. From here on out, Todd isn't just a one man team. Look out for more projects from Team Win Studios in the future.

We are here to ask and answer questions, as our next stages of the project are uncharted territory for us, but we can handle it. We are motivated and excited to share this project with everyone, and most of all its been really fun.

Here are the photos of the Dutch Helmet (model by Rundown, pepped by Erinocolypse):

145.jpg

The Dutch Helmet before assembly.

153.jpg

During assembly.

160.jpg

Finished pepped Dutch Helmet by Erinocolypse. Cutting/Folding/Assembly time: ~26 hours.

159.jpg

Helmet detail.

156.jpg

Helmet detail. (nice huh?)

157.jpg

Helmet detail.

158.jpg

Helmet back detail.

168.jpg

Sneak peek of Goosebot 5000 Working on the original Helmet (still looking fantastic BTW).

162-1.jpg

Erin adding the first layer of resin to the outside.

167-1.jpg

Myself adding resin to the stomach and chest pieces.

164.jpg

The helmet after the 1st resin coat on outside.

Since these pictures, we have finished the resining stage of the inside and outside, and are ready to Fiberglass.

More Progress will happen today, Erinocolypse should be on tonight with more pictures in this same thread.

Over these last few months, Erin and myself have just been sucked into this world thanks to Todd. I'm glad we finally got to share this with you, and we look forward to keeping you updated with our progress.

Time to play some of the Bungie V. The World playlist.

For the Win,

TEAM WIN STUDIOS

You're off to a great start!!! Man, theres gonna be an army of ODST's at Dragoncon! I can't wait!.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Keep up the good work.

wow, I can tell right now that these armor pieces are going to be awesome. I love how detailed you got with the pepakura!

Oh man, those look great! And like Akademee mentioned, I love the detail on rundown's pep model.

First there's team Soaring Hammer, and now you guys (and gal) Team Win Studios! Looking forward to seeing more, and I'm looking forward to seeing these suits in person at Dragon Con.

Keep up the great work! :)

Thanks for the compliments on the pep! It was the most difficult pep pieces I've done so far, but the model and unfolds were done awesome. I'm excited to show everyone the progress of the rest of our armor too! That should be later tonight.

Thanks again!

Hey guys, I'd like to talk to you guys about ODST stuff, feel free to pm me and I'll let you know what my team is doing and maybe we can trade casts so we don't overlap on each others stuff?

- Fitz

ACDCrockr209 said:
Sweet helmet!!.

Didn't that girl model in a photoshoot-like thing for ODST shirts??

-Pony

Haha yeah that was me. Those were my "glamour shots".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done. The Team seems to be working hard. I have a few gadgets coming your way to speed up the process. Keep up the great work.

Ithica

Just one thing about the Dutch helmet I'm not quite satisfied with... See the Chin Area? Well, between the visor and the chin... It seems to fold inwards, but it's not supposed to do so.

But great helmet, none the less!

I concur with what V1p3r says. It's almost as if there are valley folds where there should be mountain folds...if it hadn't already been resined I'd say just pop it outward and it should be fine. Might still be able to with just one coat of resin on it. It would save extra bondo work later on.

Looks like it was just a little pressure from the chin area pushing it inward. Never the less, excellent job guys...and girl. We've got some serious talent down here in the southern states, stretching from Texas all the way through Georgia and Florida.

Ok, just a quick rundown of what's going on!

Sorry the update didn't get posted last night but, Erin and Myself did not get home until around 7:00 this morning, because we were working on armor over at Goosebot 5000's ALL NIGHT.

But we did make a lot of progress on the armor.

Erin will be on with the update REALLY soon, so stay posted for that.

In the meantime I wanted to take the time to reply to some of the comments on here.

Sean Bradley said:
You're off to a great start!!! Man, theres gonna be an army of ODST's at Dragoncon! I can't wait!

DSC01617.jpg

We look forward to seeing what you guys bring this year. This is actually a good portion of our group going again this year ( minus one, and plus a few more)

just curious, will Arby be making an appearance again this year??

Ithica said:
Nicely done. The Team seems to be working hard. I have a few gadgets coming your way to speed up the process. Keep up the great work.

Ithica

Oh, Great! Todd mentioned it to us and I cant wait to get my hands on them!

Thanks!!!

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
See the Chin Area? Well,... It seems to fold inwards, but it's not supposed to do so.

Trooper0621 said:
I concur with what V1p3r says.

We have seen this defect and it will easily be fixed when we get to bondoing,

But, thanks for the input!!

DYSTORTED INC said:
Looks like it was just a little pressure from the chin area pushing it inward. Never the less, excellent job guys...and girl. We've got some serious talent down here in the southern states, stretching from Texas all the way through Georgia and Florida.
Thanks!!! I agree though, about the talent down here, some of these other groups are just Monsters, they crank out so much amazing work in so little time! It's really motivating!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

FTW:

Techbot

Techbot said:
just curious, will Arby be making an appearance again this year??

You betcha. New and improved.

Keep up the good work. See you all in Atlanta in a couple months! I'll be anxiously watching your progress.

Sean Bradley said:
You're off to a great start!!! Man, theres gonna be an army of ODST's at Dragoncon! I can't wait!.

where exaclty is dragoncon and when is it, i keep seeing that name pop up everywhere

SPARTAN-Mills117 said:
where exaclty is dragoncon and when is it, i keep seeing that name pop up everywhere

Dragon*Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the US. It's a big one for costumers.

Go here for more information, or to the 405th discussion forum for info on the 405th's gathering at D*Con.

Hello again!

Update time...finally. Afer having a "slumber party" last night, we've made quite a bit of progress on the rest of the armor as far as resining and fiber glass goes. Here are a few pictures of the rest of the armor, and the Dutch Helmet.

update2-2.jpg

In-game top part of bicep, resined and fiber glassed.

update2.jpg

Side view of bicep.

update2-3.jpg

In-game chest piece, resined and fiberglassed. There was some warping during this phase, but this will be fixed during the bondo stage.

update2-4.jpg

Belt. We still need to add the detail to the top. That will come soon!

update2-6.jpg

Stomach pads, resined. These also need the detail added which will be done soon as well.

update2-5.jpg

Jason working on the bottom piece of the bicep. Its been fiber glassed and resined, and now its almost done!

update2-7.jpg

Todd (Goosebot 5000) with Dutch Helmet on. This was at around 7am! The helmet still hasn't been fiber glassed yet, but right now it has 3 layers of resin on the outside, and 2 or 3 layers of resin on the inside. This thing is SOLID, with very little warping. And it fits! Todd will be wearing the Dutch armor at DragonCon.

update2-8.jpg

Jason!

update2-9.jpg

Me!

Ok well this is just a small update on the armor and Dutch helmet. We have a lot of work before these pieces are done, but we have good starting points. Goosebot 5000 will also be posting an update later on some of the other gear he's purchased.

Thanks for the support everyone! Its gotten us very motivated.

FTW,

Erin/Team Win Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back