The 1 month MC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
First off, before I begin, a big thank you to PernicousDuke for his help with this build. Could not have even started w/o his help and guidance.

Ok, criteria: I have 1 month to build this (plus 2-3 days) for my son. I have built my test piece to get the sizing right and it looks to be a bit tight. Going a bit bigger w/ the actual build:

IMG-20160214-01143.jpgIMG-20160214-01142.jpgIMG-20160214-01144.jpgIMG-20160214-01145.jpgIMG-20160214-01146.jpg

I know.....you don't have to say a word. It looks like something a dog would sniff twice at and make his mark on........But that was the whole point. This was put together in under 2 1/2 days to test for the correct sizing from regular paper and scotch tap. Now that I have it and experience w/ what goes where, the real fun can begin. Going for a foam build and I already see where pieces can be kept together for that. WHAT???!!!??? No foamboard? No, not this time.

More later as soon as I get back to the shop.

Well you certainly have your work cut out for you. (cheap pun, couldn't help myself).
So this is going to be a "project in fast forward" as one (short) month .... is a tall order. (crap, done it again).

Good luck and I'm looking forward to a fast build. Will be interesting so see grace under pressure (...STOP IT). :D

Ok quick update: An error on my part, and I printed out cardstock of the EOD helmet sized for me and not my son.....Once I realized the mistake...it was a bit late and just continued going w/ it. Here is how it turned out.

IMG-20160221-01149.jpg IMG-20160221-01150.jpg

So now I have this ready for the next stage......but have to go back to the drawing board and get my son's done first.......running out of time.......

You could always turn him into a bobble-head Spartan depending on his size ;)
If you're short on time, maybe progress with the rest of the suit first? Get more done?

I have the biceps done, need plastadip and paint. The boots are a disaster and will have to be redone. I have his gloves done but also needs a touch-up of paint. The rest is on the drawing board.

Good question. I for one think he'd be VERY happy if BoomCo's MA5 would be available today, building an armor within such a short timeframe is a bit like speed-chess. :)
Just out of interest : "the boots are a disaster" : what went wrong ? Just asking because at the moment I'm working on my boots too (first were a tad too small).

Good question. I for one think he'd be VERY happy if BoomCo's MA5 would be available today, building an armor within such a short timeframe is a bit like speed-chess. :)
Just out of interest : "the boots are a disaster" : what went wrong ? Just asking because at the moment I'm working on my boots too (first were a tad too small).

The assault rifle looks good from boomco but did you see the spiker? i really want that.

Yep big party then we have several Cons in the NYC area so the suit, his and mine, need to be finished by then.

That's SO cool. Be sure to make loads of pictures !
And I kinda thought the M6 mod was meant for you :).

I had the gun already.....took 2 days to mod the way it is now so it didn't do the rest of the build harm......I just need to get the suit done and worry about a weapon for me later.

I had the gun already.....took 2 days to mod the way it is now so it didn't do the rest of the build harm......I just need to get the suit done and worry about a weapon for me later.
It took me about 2 to 3 days for my assault rifle.

ok....ok.....A soon as I get home....One thing i will tell you though.....we recently has a discussion thread regarding other methods to hardening w/o the toxic fumes.....well, I went the modge podge route and I actually scotch taped this together first. Glued inside and out......no warping....no sagging. Going to lay on a few more layers and try out the cotton fiber technique in stead of fiberglass on the inside. This way I can work in the basement w/o passing out from the fumes. The picture above....is after it was modge podged....... !!!!

Update. Had to resort to changing the suit to the MC low rez version by MOZ. I took way too long to truly get started and had some major computer issues that I only recently cleared up. So that being said, Over this weekend I managed to get a lot done. Let's start w/ the gloves. Nothing fancy as he is growing like a weed and they will have to be changed by next year....

IMG-20160228-01159.jpg

I might have to redo the right one. I kind of burned the plate too much. My son made the joke "Just like you cooking dad". Feel the love people.....feel the love. If i can't cover that up a bit w/ plastadip and a paint job.....I'll have to get a new pair. I tried pulling the EVA off the glove and it started to tear. The glove that is....

Ok on to the chest. Keep in mind this is for a 10 year old.

IMG-20160228-01161.jpg

Fits like a glove (no pun intended). Once it was on him I realized that the low rez version is missing a lower cross piece. I'll be adding that on later.

Thigh:

IMG-20160228-01156.jpgIMG-20160228-01157.jpg

For some reason the piece started to pucker at the seam........perhaps the angel I cut was too steep and now the attached piece is forcing this disfigurement. I'm going to hit it w/ the belt sander to try and get rid of it. Any one else out there had this happen to you? I still have the other to finish so maybe I can tweek it a bit to prevent a repeat.

The cod:

IMG-20160228-01158.jpg

Ok, again this is for a 10 year old....and being a 10 year old, the notion of wearing what amounst to a high teck baseball cup on the outside of his clothes....my son found it quite amusing. He put on the chest piece and held the cod in place and started running around the house saying he was wearing a HALO bikini!!! The kid is too funny!!

Biceps:

No picture but they are done.

Back:

Work in progress

Boots:

Have to redo. Started w/ the foamboard build.......have to put that on hold.

Helmet:

Ready to sand the inside and bondo the outside. Have visor ready for install as well.

Weapon:

Mod M6 almost finished.

Completion date:

3/23.....I have a little over 3 weeks to finish........Still have to plastdip everything and paint. Has anyone used the spray version? I've only read about people painting it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back