The Emperor's Champion (Black Sword WiP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djinn

Jr Member
Sup 405th. For my first PAX I wanted to do something interesting, so I decided to take another look at my Black Templar.

I decided to turn this:
rawr.jpg

Into this:
btEmpChampionF.jpg

I won't have pep files for the changes so I'm going to be scratchbuilding most of the new stuff. I never properly catalog my stuff here so here goes.

Starting on the boots tonight, figure that will be pretty simple. Not going to do the wonky pointed sabatons, probably more of a rounded style, but we'll see how it turns out. Will post pics in a bit.

Well, after lots of spacing out and trying different stuff I settled on something I like for the boots. Ended up freehanding the patterns and stuff for it, it is really ghetto right now, unsanded and unpainted, the edges are uneven and the screws holding it in place are placeholders that will end up being something else.

BUT HEY THE SHAPE IS THERE. It also fits pretty well into the shin guard, fills it out a lot more.
CIMG1747%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1748%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1749%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Now to take it all apart and make patterns for the other boot =P The entire thing is made from Styrene trash cans.

Also Thanks Wrath, the new version will be much cooler, mostly because my mug will be covered in a helmet. Also giant sword.

Well, I finished the second boot and threw a coat of flat black on it. Need to do a little filling and sanding on the bottom and whatnot, but otherwise its a couple coats of paint away from being done. Though.. that front lip is a little long, I might trim that back.

SCA is having a Warbands event this weekend, so I wont be able to work on it for a couple days.. but the shoulder is the next project.
CIMG1752%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1760%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Randomly decided to procrastinate on moving and start on the helmet pictured here.
Champion.jpg

I pulled up DOW and looked around the Firestorm over Kaurava mod, they had a pretty sweet Emperors champion model, so I ripped the helmet from it and got to unfolding. It was a pretty low res helm, and I took off the laurels (will add later), but the general shape came out pretty good. After a lot of unfolding and size tinkering, I pepped it up and came out with this.

CIMG1770%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1771%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1772%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1773%20%28Medium%29.JPG

A lot of work to do on it after it has been resined - lots of edges to smooth out and bondo to use, but I think this will make a really good base for the helm, its got those awesome sinister eyes.
Hell yeah.

This looks really great! I used to be into 40k when I was a kid (sorry I was an ultramarine fan[and now you have me thinking about doing some sort of Marnius Kalgar build : P]) and had no idea that anyone had made full suits of this. I think the conversion should go well, good luck.

Thanks guys!
The helmet I initially made ended up being a bit too large, and I was forced to remake it. The new helm might be too small (?), or I just have a long face and will have to modify the design to hide my entire head.

Life goes on I suppose. Might even just end up using the pepped helm as a template for a scratchbuilt one once I get it closer to the shape I want/fitted right.
Probably something along the lines of the rebreather I built for the suit initially.
Cut out or otherwise replace that front pointed section with a plastic version of it, and build the bottom of it so there is a chin section.. hmm..
Well whatever, I'll figure something out.

The resin dried enough for me to throw it on and take a picture to show the size. The helm itself is too short to hide my chin, but I plan to build up the bottom of the faceguard to cover that, also possibly add more padding to the chest so it doesnt sit quite so low.
CIMG1774%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Aside from the helm not covering the bottom part of my face, how does it look in proportion to the rest of the gear shown?

Wow man, you work fast! Awesome work so far!

Looking at the model yo0u posted, I'd say it's about right, maybe a little too big though... not that it looks like you can make it much smaller.

Well, here are a few pics of my first attempt at extending the helms bottom part. It isnt finished, nor is it symmetrical.. but I like the look of the shape so far. Hopefully this works heh.
Will be continuing to scratch my head and cut things after this, but I thought I would throw it up for scrutiny and a second opinion.
CIMG1776%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1778%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Creative license is fun!

Thanks for the compliments guys! Hoping I can do the champ proper justice.
That being said, I made a little.. chin armor.. part.. to make the bottom part look more.. armor like.
Anyways here it is.

CIMG1779%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1781%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Now to do the top part!

[...]
I pulled up DOW and looked around the Firestorm over Kaurava mod, they had a pretty sweet Emperors champion model, so I ripped the helmet from it and got to unfolding. It was a pretty low res helm, and I took off the laurels (will add later), but the general shape came out pretty good. After a lot of unfolding and size tinkering, I pepped it up and came out with this.
[...]

How did you managed to "rip" the 3d model (and where did u found it)?
I am just tinking to build a Paria costume starting from the DOW-DC model.

Well, got off my ass today and started the slow process of smoothing out the helmet part with bondo. God is it going to be a lot of work to get smooth, that low res model sucked =P
I also modified the front bit of the helm a bit, pulled the tip of the nose back a tad, I like the look of it a lot better.

Sanding sanding sanding.. bondoing bondoing bondoing
CIMG1814%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1816%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Eh, small update. After another run of bondo and a lot of hand sanding, it was finally clean enough to throw a base coat on.

Well ok I may have just wanted to see what it looked like in one color, but its getting pretty close.

CIMG1821%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG1825%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Opinions?

In the words of Tony the Tiger: "More than good, they're GREAT!" I'm very impressed with the helmet, it's turned out well so far! Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back