The Engage ODST Build [pic heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just got my hand on some bondo and started to apply it to my hip plate (kind of my "tester" piece for new things, fiberglassing, bondo, painting, etc since it's an easily replaceable piece). Unfortunately I lost an entire cup of it due to me putting in too much catalyst. On the bright side it was a small cup! Make mistakes and learn I suppose.

Anyways, I just finished pepping the chest assets by Hugh and his thigh piece as well. All of which was just resined about an hour ago. Gonna keep trying my hand at bondo tomorrow since I work until 12 tonight :(

Peace!

Did a little more work today. I know these aren't really things you can comment on or whatever but I still like posting pictures :p

IMG_0517.jpg

Some of the chest assets I completed and hardened yesterday by Hugh Holder
IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Started to work on bondoing the hip plate I'm working on. Unfortunately, I realized that some of the sides weren't hardened enough so I decided to try my hand at rondo.
IMG_0506.jpg

There's the result from the rondo. You guys aren't kidding when you say this stuff gets hot either. I picked the pieces up for a couple seconds and they were getting REALLY warm. That caught me by surprise.
IMG_0504.jpg

Fiberglassed a shoulder piece and a thigh piece.
IMG_0502.jpg

Unfortunately there was a casualty hardening my thigh piece. A little bug got caught underneath the fiberglass cloth and got resined over. I'm just going to say that my costume will gain it's powers...

So it's been six months and compared to everyone else, I've gotten nowhere. However, having a difficult breakup with a significant other, trying to find a new place to live, and starting up school again there's somewhat of a reason behind that. But anyways, I've started back up on this and hope to have it done by Halloween (unlikely it seems at this point).

Here's what I've got so far though.
img0652gz.jpg

img0653cjj.jpg

img0656c.jpg

img0657cm.jpg

img0658rp.jpg

img0659q.jpg

img0660bav.jpg

I know a lot of my pieces look "rough" and not completely smoothed out. After bondoing a few pieces and looking at them while they were painted I kind of preferred them to have that look. Makes them look more "rugged and used" in my opinion. Because really, what ODST has perfect clean and smooth armor?

Still have to pep

1. Helmet
2. 2 x Forearms
3. 1 x Shin (working on that)
4. 1 x Thigh (working on that)

Hopefully I can crank this out fast.

Also, if anyone has worked on Hugh's helmet could anyone tell me if they needed to scale it up at all? I have a rather large head and would like to know beforehand if I need to move the scale up at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's been six months and compared to everyone else, I've gotten nowhere. However, having a difficult breakup with a significant other, trying to find a new place to live, and starting up school again there's somewhat of a reason behind that. But anyways, I've started back up on this and hope to have it done by Halloween (unlikely it seems at this point).

Here's what I've got so far though.
img0652gz.jpg

img0653cjj.jpg

img0656c.jpg

img0657cm.jpg

img0658rp.jpg

img0659q.jpg

img0660bav.jpg

I know a lot of my pieces look "rough" and not completely smoothed out. After bondoing a few pieces and looking at them while they were painted I kind of preferred them to have that look. Makes them look more "rugged and used" in my opinion. Because really, what ODST has perfect clean and smooth armor?

Still have to pep

1. Helmet
2. 2 x Forearms
3. 1 x Shin (working on that)
4. 1 x Thigh (working on that)

Hopefully I can crank this out fast.

Also, if anyone has worked on Hugh's helmet could anyone tell me if they needed to scale it up at all? I have a rather large head and would like to know beforehand if I need to move the scale up at all.

Wow! You're way better off than me, and Iv'e been at this for three years! I guess my excuse is the fact I'm not full grown and I wan't to get my suit scaled right the first time before I do all the fun rondo and sanding... Anyway, off topic there I thought that "your rough" look on your armor is awesome and I wouldn't change it if it were mine! Great job man! Keep it up!

Haven't been able to get much done over the past couple weeks. Have a very large paper due tomorrow and still trying to find a place to live and pack up all my stuff. Working on pepping the shin and thigh and then all I'll have left is the gauntlets, and some odds and ends.

Also, does anyone have any UNSC stencil's and the medical patch for the shoulder of the ODST? At the very least I can get some detailing work done.

Here is my version of the med patch if you want to use it. I'm not sure how well it works on Hugh's shoulders, but here you go:
odst__med_ref_badge_template_by_jimmydamoose-d3hh2mn.jpg

If you use it, you'll need to scale it in word or something, because its very small and it isn't scaled of any shoulder.

looking good man if u need any advise just ask i have built 2 odst's and working on a reach version right now.

Yeah if you're using Hugh's ODST build, definitely invest in some butterfly clips. They're especially useful for the helmet, chest core, and the outer chest piece. Gonna try to get some painting done today and some detailing. Possibly a foam spine and collar. Updates later.

Made a lot of progress yesterday. Managed to get the core chest pieces together and a lot of painting done. Not perfect by any means but I'm happy with it.

Resining the second shin
aefac73a.jpg

One of the shoulders.
f2d88371.jpg

Both of the shoulders
2b516f6a.jpg

One of the other shoulders
be5093f0.jpg

Shin
57d05aa0.jpg

Back of the shin
08244ea7.jpg

Back of chest core
21bd95db.jpg

Chest piece (cut off the tips of two bolts to put in the chest piece)
63764103.jpg

Everything so far minus one thigh which was drying with a coat of paint.
545b4274.jpg

Working on pepping another thigh tomorrow night. Then the forearms.
Running out of time. Hope I can finish this :(

Haven't been able to get much done :( just pepping files. Since I'm not going to be able to get everything done in time for Halloween I'm going to try and take a shortcut. And by shortcut I mean I should be getting a treat in the mail soon from Hugh Holder. And on that note:

Does anyone know a good way to make an ODST visor, or is there anyone that sells them?

So it's been quite awhile once again. Still working on this here and there. Work, school, lack of money due to holidays have been holding me up. Also, 32* weather doesn't help either. But question. I bought some VHT Niteshade to tint the visor that I've got. I tested it on some plexiglass, then the plastic that I used for my visor. Both times it looked runny and pretty awful. I read I was supposed to apply it heavily. Am I not supposed to or what am I doing wrong? I also may have done it under the recommended temperature, but not by much.

So it's been quite awhile once again. Still working on this here and there. Work, school, lack of money due to holidays have been holding me up. Also, 32* weather doesn't help either. But question. I bought some VHT Niteshade to tint the visor that I've got. I tested it on some plexiglass, then the plastic that I used for my visor. Both times it looked runny and pretty awful. I read I was supposed to apply it heavily. Am I not supposed to or what am I doing wrong? I also may have done it under the recommended temperature, but not by much.

Temprature may be a problem, but when you apply it, spray it in thin coats let it dry some between coats, repeat this till its as dark as you want it, if you apply it thick on the first spray its going to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back