The Hunter Costume: AKA Operation Cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
for right now i dont think detail should be your concern for quite a while.

for right now u should be biulding the 'cage' and other puppetery ull be needing. not much has changed on the hunters as far as shape and profile so the support stuff only has to be generic and fitted to you. by the time you finish the 'cage and stuff, reach will have come out and then u have all your detail.

and as far as scale, as cool as a 14 foot hunter would be. how would you get through doors and in elevators. then theres the big one.......stairs. hard enough in a spartan suit let alone a 14 ft monster

just food for thought and i love the idea. cant wait for more

Okay, so I have come up with a dilemma.

On the Halo wiki, there are the following statements about Hunters:

"They usually stand between twelve to thirteen feet tall, but when in their combat state they crouch into between eight to eight-and-one-half feet, protecting their visible, unarmored stomach and neck. Though uncommon, the Mgalekgolo can even come in larger sizes and even bigger than the standard Covenant Wraith"

"Hunters can range in size from a Spartan to nearly eighteen feet tall."

"In Halo Legends' episode The Duel, the Hunters are shown to be at least 50 feet tall, this was later explained by Frank O'Connor saying that a Hunter's appearance changes due to the gravity and environment."

"In Halo Reach hunters have recieved a huge graphical overhaul. They are much more textured, appear to be larger,have Forerunner symbols and emblems on their armour and appear to have some kind of eyes on their helmets."

Given what has been said, my best guess is that the Reach Hunters look larger because Reach might have a different gravity or environment more suitable for larger Hunters. Knowing this, I have two options:

Make a Halo 3 Hunter, smaller in stature (8-10 feet is my current limit until I can engineer something to fix this...)

OR

Make a Reach Hunter, because they look more awesome and have far more detail to them (and I love detail), which would have to be considerably larger.

My problem is that I had intended on making the Hunter 8 feet tall to match its combat state. It was permissible, too, since Hunters seem to range in size. HOWEVER. Reach Hunters don't seem to come in a variety of sizes considering they are large due to their environment. So what do I do?

I guess I can TRY and see how to engineer one about 12 feet tall, but it runs the risk of being disproportional. I just really want to make a Reach Hunter design...

So, would anyone nitpick as much as I am doing if I make a smaller version of a Reach Hunter?

It's difficult, because I want to go with the Reach Hunter because it seems more "advanced", but it technically isn't since this happens BEFORE Halo 3. So the Halo 3 Hunters are the most "advanced", unless of course the Reach Hunters are just experimental or something.

Gah. I don't know which I should do...

ok your biulding a hunter suit. i dont think anyone would care even if you made it three feet tall :D

i say go with the halo 3 size but reach design. i agree that the reach version looks better but the 3 version is more do-able cuz of its size. im just thinking accessability with this. Good luck, which ever you choose

I just look at it like this: Halo 3 size with Halo Reach detail. Why you may ask? Simple think of it as the Halo 2 Mk VI armor compared to the Halo 3 Mk VI armor, there are graphical changes because Bungie thought it looked cooler, but it's the same armor, with no explanation why the armor slightly changed.

So I see Hunters as the same, no in-game reason why it looks better, just go with it. lol.

I agree with Soul Products, even if you made a dimunitive hunter, people would be impressed.
I say go with the halo 3 hunters, 'cause you have TONS of reference pics, and you could move on with the Reach hunter when the game comes out.

I just look at it like this: Halo 3 size with Halo Reach detail. Why you may ask? Simple think of it as the Halo 2 Mk VI armor compared to the Halo 3 Mk VI armor, there are graphical changes because Bungie thought it looked cooler, but it's the same armor, with no explanation why the armor slightly changed.

So I see Hunters as the same, no in-game reason why it looks better, just go with it. lol.

This is a very good point.

Thanks for all the insight, you guys, I do appreciate it. :)

I think I'll go with the Reach design but with the Halo 3 size. If anyone calls me out on it I'll be like, look. I'm the lone survivor of Reach, and they reassigned me to earth. So now I'm smaller. Deal with it. :p

That or you could just tell them to come back when they have made one that is 'better', and that'll be the last you see of them

I glad to be of assistance, now only if I could get off of my lazy butt and get to work on my Reach suit. lol. :D

I hear you. I've got so many side projects I'm working on--I really need to put those aside and make some progress on this thing.

now it would be really cool if you rigged a bunch of pulleys down the inside of the back, linking your 'shield' arm to the spines on the back, so that when you put your 'shield' arm into attack position, the spines stand up. and of course when you relax the shield arm the spines fall and relax as well. just thought id throw it out there. that would be one hell of an addition!!!!

now it would be really cool if you rigged a bunch of pulleys down the inside of the back, linking your 'shield' arm to the spines on the back, so that when you put your 'shield' arm into attack position, the spines stand up. and of course when you relax the shield arm the spines fall and relax as well. just thought id throw it out there. that would be one hell of an addition!!!!

Oh, I plan on making the spines move up and down. You read my mind :)

Regarding Hunter sizes, I recall reading in Contact Harvest that Hunter worms individually have no intelligence, operating purely off some basic instinct. However, when the worms are proximate to each other, they gain a greater collective intelligence, especially if they are in physical contact. The more worms in the same place, the greater the intelligence. How many worms can be together in a single frame depends on the inverse square rule for mass and strength, the local gravity, and how strong the frame is. Thus, a low-gravity world can have very large Hunters, while a higher gravity world will have smaller ones. Covenant Scarabs are actually huge Hunter frames, technically making them a giant Hunter form.

However, there is also a minimum mass of worms that is necessary to achieve a degree of intelligence we would consider to be sentient, which limits how small Hunters can be and still be effective. This problem can be mitigated by having several smaller Hunter forms maintain proximity to one another, allowing some sharing of intelligence between the different forms, making them collectively smarter than any one frame would be as an individual. This is why it is common to the point of ubiquity that the "humanoid" Hunters typically encountered in the game are almost always deployed in pairs. This is also why one goes berserk when the other is killed, as not only did it just lose a piece of itself in a very mentally and emotionally stressful manner, but it also reverts to a lower, more beastial state of intelligence and can think of no tactic more complex than "Charge!"

As for detailing, I say go ahead and base your Hunter costume on the Halo 3 forms, but add what Reach detailing you can see to it. There is no need to wait on Reach to show you better sceeenshots. From what we can tell so far, the scale and detail on the Hunters has changed, but not the form. It is essentially the same as the older ones, just bigger and with more elaborate bits on it. You can start with the older designs, and just add to them as you get new information.

My first guess would be some cords hooked up over the shoulders so that as the wearer moves their body between a crouch and an erect posture the spines go up or down a little.

That's a good idea, but not quite practical enough for my needs.

I'm still trying to work out the details with that one. But I'll figure something out.

My other thought would be a small electric motor hooked up to said cords, but I have no idea how you would control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back