The Hunter Costume: AKA Operation Cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFPnoodle

***EDIT***

After much deliberation, I've decided my next costume will be a Hunter. I am 100% serious about this, even if I'm not quite sure if I'll have the room to build it. I'm going to make it work. Sorry to all who participated in the poll and thought they'd be seeing an Honor Guard. I just wasn't feeling it, and I really, really love Hunters. I just kept coming up with ideas and got so excited, that I knew I had to make it next.

I posted a little information in my Jackal thread, but most of what you need to know is in this youtube video:

I know it's lengthy, but check it out.

This is going to be the official thread for this project, and I will update as frequently as I make progress.

One more thing: My goal is Comic Con 2012. The only problem with that is I need to figure out a way to ship the costume to California, since I'll probably be living there anyway. Nevertheless, if I finish before that goal, you'll be seeing completed pictures, don't fret.

Thanks, guys.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD POST:

Please, Mods Almighty. I'm itching to start a thread about my next costume. I'm like, dying. I even made a youtube video about it. I want to start the thread which will be for my next costume, the Hunter. I want to announce it, and have confetti shoot out of my eyes.

I have blueprints. But I can't show them yet. Not until I build the rig for part of this. Not until people realize I am seriously going to do this.

I know there are rules against starting threads and going "I'm gonna do this! blah blah" and have no pics. But you guys, you know me. If I say I'm going to build something, I certainly do. So, knowing that for sure that thread would be put to good use later, and would be filled with pictures soon as I have made a little progress, can I start a no-pics announcement thread, just this once? I love you guys. I know flattery will get me nowhere, but really.

I want to shout it on top of a mountain. Gah.

Last edited by a moderator:
A HUNTER????!!!!!!!!!! Wow, Noodle,you really were great with the last two costumes but a hunter would be really amazing to see, Good Luck!

Half the people on the forums do it already, seeing as you already have a reputation for building costumes, I'm sure they'll leave it alone :p

I wanna see this, and bobbio is right, I can"t tell you how many posts I"ve seen that don"t go anywhere.

Well since you already started this thread, you might as well turn it into you're WIP for this I guess.

I would but I can't figure out how to change the dang title of my thread! ;_;

Plus it's in the noob forum. >.>

Maybe a kindly mod will skip by and make my day? :D

Change the first post title with what you want the thread title to be and I'll make sure that's changed. Also, I have no idea what kind of build this is...I'll need to know if it's cardboard, pep, scratch built, etc before I know where to move it.

Please, Mods Almighty. I'm itching to start a thread about my next costume. I'm like, dying. I even made a youtube video about it. I want to start the thread which will be for my next costume, the Hunter. I want to announce it, and have confetti shoot out of my eyes.

I have blueprints. But I can't show them yet. Not until I build the rig for part of this. Not until people realize I am seriously going to do this.

I know there are rules against starting threads and going "I'm gonna do this! blah blah" and have no pics. But you guys, you know me. If I say I'm going to build something, I certainly do. So, knowing that for sure that thread would be put to good use later, and would be filled with pictures soon as I have made a little progress, can I start a no-pics announcement thread, just this once? I love you guys. I know flattery will get me nowhere, but really.

I want to shout it on top of a mountain. Gah.

1277965479487.png

I don't see anywhere in the rules where it says you MUST post pics if you are inconvienced. your good in my book.

Title is changed.

I'd like it just moved to Creation Discussion, the main folder, because it's a combination of cardboard, fabric, and some kind of endoskeleton. My Jackal was in that place for the longest time, so *shrugs*

But if you feel it belongs in one section or another, be my guest. You're the Mod, after all.

Thanks much, I appreciate it. :)

So, guys, I have a problem. Reach doesn't come out for a while, and I want to start working on this hunter. Sadly, the only two reference pictures of the Reach hunter I could find were:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100616134460/halo/images/2/21/HunterFirefight.jpg

and

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100616213016/halo/images/9/9a/HReach_-_Mgalekgolo.png

Does ANYONE have any idea where I can find other refs of the Reach Hunter? I really want to do this version of the hunter because it's more detailed and kind of scarier. This is frustrating me to no end. If I could even just get one rear view picture I'd be loads of happy.

If anyone can help me out, please do so.

Thanks, all.

The sooner I get refs, the sooner I can figure out scaling, and then can start on the stilts.

Also, does anyone know how big the hunter is in Reach? Traditionally, combat mode has been 8 ft. and relaxed mode has been 12 ft, but for some reason the hunters in Reach look GINORMOUS. Did they just go with 12 feet?

I should bug Bungie...

Reach Is coming out in a few months, for such a huge undertaking, I believe that without sufficient reference pictures. A Halo Reach Hunter Costume would be awesome, but within the time frame, and those are your only pictures, you should go with the Halo 3 Hunter.
Because if you wait for more screen shots, as the time grows closer to release, sure you'll have plenty of reference, but not enough time, it would take several months just for the construction of such a project, then you have to paint and refine it. for the specific hunter that you are going for...in my opinion, it is not feasible. Without the References.

BUT you could just take an artistic liberty with the back and draw off of previous Hunter models and draw a reasonable conclusion from that.

Just to repeat, you should go with the Halo 3 Hunter Model, then when Reach DOES come out you know how to make the stilts and all the other components.

I'm just saying what I would do, Good Luck!

With that picture you have there of the Hunter in game says it all.
If that spartan is the standard 7' tall, the hunter is slouched-ish and is approximately 2 times as tall as the spartan, so the hunters are about 14' tall standing straight, probably 8'-9' tall slouching.

To give you an idea of real scale between Master Chief and a Hunter, use the Mcfarlane figures. They are very good representations as far as scale between each other.

100_1964.jpg

And to show how to ride a hunter

100_1963.jpg

To give you an idea of real scale between Master Chief and a Hunter, use the Mcfarlane figures. They are very good representations as far as scale between each other.

100_1964.jpg

And to show how to ride a hunter

100_1963.jpg

With that picture you have there of the Hunter in game says it all.
If that spartan is the standard 7' tall, the hunter is slouched-ish and is approximately 2 times as tall as the spartan, so the hunters are about 14' tall standing straight, probably 8'-9' tall slouching.

Thanks, both of you, but I guess I was just thinking if there had been any "official" statement about the size of the Hunters. I'm looking for proof of a significant change in size from the Halo 3/ODST models, to the Reach models.

Reach Is coming out in a few months, for such a huge undertaking, I believe that without sufficient reference pictures. A Halo Reach Hunter Costume would be awesome, but within the time frame, and those are your only pictures, you should go with the Halo 3 Hunter.
Because if you wait for more screen shots, as the time grows closer to release, sure you'll have plenty of reference, but not enough time, it would take several months just for the construction of such a project, then you have to paint and refine it. for the specific hunter that you are going for...in my opinion, it is not feasible. Without the References.

BUT you could just take an artistic liberty with the back and draw off of previous Hunter models and draw a reasonable conclusion from that.

Just to repeat, you should go with the Halo 3 Hunter Model, then when Reach DOES come out you know how to make the stilts and all the other components.

I'm just saying what I would do, Good Luck!

Well, to be honest I don't have a specific time frame. I'm not trying to get this done in time for Reach or anything, hell no. 2-3 months or however long was not even enough time for my Jackal, so there is NO WAY I can make a hunter in that short of time. I'm planning on finishing this for Comic Con 2012 so I have plenty of time.

I'm just anxious to get this thing started, is all. I don't want my thread deleted -_-

The reason I am going with the Reach model is because they are significantly beefier looking in Reach, and have far more details in their armor. And I loooooove details. So, I'm not comfortable guesstimating with this sort of thing, or taking creative liberty.

well I dont think you need the exact height, it would look just as epic if it was only 6 ft tall....plus Ive read that hunters have a range of sizes. back on their homeworld during their struggle with the covenant called: the taiming of the hunters, they were gigantic compared to the forms in the games. I think a smaller steather hunter would kick some serious butt and look amazing while doing so!

well I dont think you need the exact height, it would look just as epic if it was only 6 ft tall....plus Ive read that hunters have a range of sizes. back on their homeworld during their struggle with the covenant called: the taiming of the hunters, they were gigantic compared to the forms in the games. I think a smaller steather hunter would kick some serious butt and look amazing while doing so!

I suppose you are right. If I just got with the traditional combat state of 8 ft I'm pretty sure it would still look awesome. I just don't want super-nerds going "yeah, but can it go into its relaxed state? HMMM?" So hopefully no one will call me out on that. I'm gonna try and make this thing as realistic and functional as possible, but there are some things I can't escape having to skip over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back