The RC Pelican challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... My friend Jeff doesn't believe in my craftsmanship. He doesn't believe that I can make a remote control Pelican. Well, this is NOT acceptable. So my goal now is to prove his a** wrong.

So, my idea is to strip down a number of RC helicopters and integrate them into the Pelican. Now the size of the Pelican is not an issue, it doesn't matter. The thing I'm most worried about is stability.

Questions, comments, and advice?

placement of the rotors is going to be your biggest challege.
1. balancing them out, not all little motors run the same. even if they are the same model
2. or you can use one big rotor in the middle but that still leaves the issue of the tail rotor

I thought a lot about this too. And since recently buying the RC hornet its been on my mind. One idea i had is to put four RC Duct Fans, one in each engine thruster/wing and make the engines/wings stationary with no rotation as it would be very complicated. All four engines would face directly down allowing the RC to hover but to get the thing moving, instead of having the engine rotate just lower the power a small degree to say, the front engines. That would drop the nose and push the pelican forwards and that technique could be used to direct the pelican in any direction. If the body is light enough it should fly with ease.

Of course this and many options require i hefty budget.

If you can build an RC pelican, than do it. Probably the best thing since the RC warthogs

Duct fan:
aeo8100kv40100edf01.jpg

I was also thinking of putting one in each engine. The issue is how would the remote work out...
As for budget I'd rather not spend too much, but will do what is needed. As of right now my priority is to buy the under armor for my MK VI and I'm having a problem getting money... =\

I think it's totally possible. Make a frame from Balsa, cover it in mylar or even just paper. The biggest cost (I think) will be in the servos and propulsion.

I have to agree with ForgedReclaimer's ducted fan idea. But, if you could afford it, set all the engines to the throttle, then pitch and yaw would go to servos controlling the direction of the engines output. Maybe, if there's a way, set the roll to shadow the throttle on the port and starboard side engine pairs.

Alternatively, styrofoam sculpt the body and put it over the iPhone Parrot Ar Drone Quadricopter.

Just a couple thoughts..

I'd get a Budget RC Copter. Turning it into a plane will be hard as HELL!! Like the RC Hornet, its made into a RC Copter.
From what I can say:
-Get budget Copter.
-Study the electronics.
-Go in-game and study how the Pelican Flies.
-Look for Models(Yes I mean MODELS) for reference. For example, there has been lots of .pdoS of the Pelican Model.

Well, thats all I can say :p

Ducted fans will be your best bet, for sure. The batteries and electronics will need to lay along the middle of the model to facilitate ease of balance.

Servo's can be had for pretty cheap on Flea-Bay. Articulating the engine pods won't be too difficult, and will likely be easier than trying to set up individual throttle controls to all the engines.

The most important thing to remember is centering your weight. You'll have a much larger area of slop to work with if you use four motors than you would if you only used two, but with two, you could actually make a model fly like an airplane. When figuring your center of gravity, start with the following information:

Desired size/scale of the model: This is the lynch-pin of the whole plan. Size will dictate weight, and weight will increase considerably just by making a model 18" long rather than 12" long.

Size of the motors: The spindle will actually be where your CoG is most accurate. For two motors, the CoG will be a straight line through the two spindles. For three, it will form a "Y". For four, it will form an "X" with the motors being the ends of the arms.

Number of motors: Four will be more stable than two, but will also be heavier and harder to control. Three motors may be a good compromise.

Strength of motors: For two, you obviously want them to be as equal as possible. For four, it will depend upon placement. The two that are going to be bearing the heaviest load will need to be considerably stronger than the other two. In order to figure this, you'll need to get as close as you can to a total weight of components, especially if you plan on the design being able to lift under its own thrust rather than take off like a traditional airplane. If you can provide enough lifting surface in the wings, and figure out how to rotate the motors, you'll be able to reduce throttle if you want, and thus, make a battery last longer, saving on total weight.

Center of Gravity (weight and balance) is where you will either succeed or fail to make a VTOL function. With two motors, the CoG needs to be as exactly in line with the spindles as possible. Anything else will induce control difficulty. You begin to get better tolerance to this concern by adding a third or fourth motor. For a third motor, you'll want your model to be just a bit tail heavy, so that the load is distributed as evenly as possible amongst the fans. A little slop forward or aft is more easily dealt with like this. However, you still need to be bang on with your balance from side to side. With four motors, you'll gain the most in stability, and your equipment mounting locations within the model will be less critical.

Get a scale that measures as small a weight as possible, as even tenths of an ounce can be an issue depending on where the excess weight is. That brings up the next bit. Once you have determined where your CoG is going to be, you must do the math to balance every item you install into the model. The point of this exercise to keep your CoG as close to the desired location as possible; it will drift as you add or remove components.

The formula is pretty simple. You need the weight of the item and the distance from the desired CoG or arm. (I would recommend ounces and centimeters for this.)

You multiply the weight in ounces by the arm (distance from CoG) to get your "balance moment". Loosely, this means that if you add a 2 ounce weight 10 centimeters from your desired CoG, you will have a realized weight of 20 ounces that you have to counter on the opposite side of the CoG.

As you can see, there is a huge amount of detail that goes into figuring this sort of thing out. But, the good news is, until you get into the moving parts, the math is simple.

Here's a good reference I found to help you out. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do what I can to assist.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/wt_bal.htm

I think I'm going to make it have 4 duct fans, each will be in each engine. So one in each wing and 2 in ether side of the tail. This also means I have to scale the pelican big enough so I can fit them in.
What's getting me is the best way to set up the remote, and the best way to have the pelican steer and fly right. But I do know I want it to fly as close as possible to how it flys in game.

Wow, just not too long ago i was thinking about making a ducted fan VTOL and modeling it off of the ORCA VTOL from Command and Conquer. Ill definatly be keeping an eye on this thread to hopefully get some ideas, and if i get started on mine, ill try and drop some hints also.

Good luck!

EDIT: I was just studying a pic of the pelican and was wondering if you were gonna go for a transition to normal "airplanesque" flight. If so, will the stubby wings of the pelican be able to generate enough lift to keep the model aloft? Can the body be used as a "lifting body" to help generate that lifting force? I know if you try and articulate the wings like in the games, you might run into problems trying to make the ducted fans turn to transition into forward flight. Gotta keep in mind that the more points of articulation you have, the more channels and servos you will need, thus creating more weight. You might want to just focus on a slow speed hovering pelican first, then move onto one with more articulation and flight ability.

he're's your problem:

if you have 4 ducted fans in each engine, you are going to have issues. It will try to roll forward, backwards, and to the sides depending on your weight and the power of each individual fan. Each fan will turn at a SLIGHTLY different speed, so it will be incredibly unstable. you would either have to use ballast to adjust it, or a gyro of sorts to keep it level. Then you are running into issues with weight and money.

Also, the setup is great for vertical takeoff and landing nd hovering, but you will have to redirect the thrust in order to move, meaning servos, and a good receiver/transmitter. You could use another engine on the back to generate forward thrust, but it won't turn, unless you use differential thrust. so you're looking at 6 engines... plus one heck of a battery and reciever and transmitter system. You're already looking a a couple hundred right there...

I think that there is an RC Harrier model out that uses 3 or 4 exposed fan blades. You might check that out. I fly (crash) RC helicopters. the balance on the air frame is going to be an issue. Good luck

I think that there is an RC Harrier model out that uses 3 or 4 exposed fan blades. You might check that out. I fly (crash) RC helicopters. the balance on the air frame is going to be an issue. Good luck

I think i saw a scale model harrier once, unfortunatly, to transition from hovering to forward flight, it took 2 men operating different aspects of the aircraft to successfully do it.

I had some schematics drawn up a while ago for this very project, I'd love to share and possibly collaborate with you on this.

I think i saw a scale model harrier once, unfortunatly, to transition from hovering to forward flight, it took 2 men operating different aspects of the aircraft to successfully do it.

Yes I have seen the scale ducted models fly. They have 3 times more electronics then my Heli. but i think the fan model may have been foam or paper with the fan blades exposed, not ducted. It may be a starting point. then build up from there. :cool

Yes I have seen the scale ducted models fly. They have 3 times more electronics then my Heli. but i think the fan model may have been foam or paper with the fan blades exposed, not ducted. It may be a starting point. then build up from there. :cool

Yeah, might be easier to start with something established then work around that. Keep it simple,eh?

This was made by someone in Germany, I've talked extensively with him about modifying the design and adding a frame.
33wwdao.jpg

2624pab.jpg

a27p5g.jpg

I think the easiest way to make this work would be to put in an aluminum frame for strength and a light weight. For the thrust, cut the wings off, and put in a line for a servo on a small gear, that way you can actually turn the wings like they work in-game. This will allow you to hover or fly straight, and it will also add a degree of thrust vectoring. If you really want toget fancy, add different controls for each wing.
For the engine itself, you could either go with multiple small fans, or a large jet engine on the interior of the troop bay, and route the exhaust to the corresponding ports along the wings.

If that makes sense or helps at all let me know and I can draw up some designs.

ok, how are you going to control the servos, engines, and do it simultaneously? You're operating 4 engines, and 2-4 servos. plus you have to be able to move those independently or together. my wallet is just crying looking at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back