The spartan motto/creed...(lets make one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEN B023

Jr Member
I don't have my books nearby so perhaps there is one kinda already. I am in the process of creating a wicked military jacket based on what a spartan would wear on his day off(yeah right). Anywho on the back of it, i want a spartan type motto. A combination of something perhaps taken from the game or books.

A few ideas..

"war is hell, we are the demons" -in reference to John being called the demon.

"The bravest"

"Do not be afraid; we are the first, we are the last"---in reference to a passage from John:117

"Spartans don't die.."

Anyways i don't think they are worthy enough. And yes i will post pics of the finished jacket later. But anyways, what do YOU think is worthy of a Spartan motto!!?

I think the one that get's used the most is "Spartans Never Die. They're just Missing in Action."

I think "Oly Oly Oxen Free" would be fitting, as that was the spartan code (through a series of whistles) that was the "its all clear come out" signal

It is what made Dr Halsey open the door for all the Spartans on reach, and it is what made the Master Chief land on reach to get them off the planet

oly oly oxen free was always the Spartan's favorite quote. used since they were trainees as a signal, followed by "we are in the free" as it was a spartan trainees dream to be free from the harsh exercises and grueling life.

here's one though:"ODST's go feet first into hell, but spartans are already there." not the best ever but good basic idea.

"Oly Oly Oxen free"

Jumping feet first into hell isnt your job; Making sure its crowded when you get there is.

Oly oly oxen free. didnt that come from when they were still young and training. they were on a training exercise. All i remember is that they were supposed to get somewhere with limited water and food. later they planned to hijack a guarded pelican. John used the saying oly oly oxen free to tell the others the guards were eliminated. they ended up hijacking it and john got Dr.Halsey to remote fly it back too base. correct me if im wrong in any details havent read the book in a while.

How about "If you see me running - go the other way, I don't have time to protect you!"

Although that does seem a bit long, especially for a Spartan. I doubt a Spartan would write anything onto his clothes, maybe aside from his name and number.

I forgot about the oly oly oxen free. I will use the german version which most think it is derived from..

Alle alle, auch sind frei. I am mostly german/austrian. IT translates to "everyone, everyone, all outs free"

Spartans NEVER Die!
Photo%20on%202011-03-20%20at%2013.15%202.jpg

I don't care about the rest, if the first 3 words say it all.
--- My 2 cents. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Short Version
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
(If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Long Version
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem".
(Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know know to be superior in battle.)

spartan III's: 'so that others may live' (kudos if you know what i am refrencing to.)

Your referring to the Coast Guard Para-rescue swimmers.

Also, i wouldn't believe the Spartans would have a motto. They are so indoctrinated since childhood that a creed/motto would be superfluous. Now, if for some reason they did, it would more than likely be something Latin. Most unit crests and creeds i saw while i served were either Latin, or very serious.

So, i would think something like "The tip of the spear" or the latin of "To know peace is to prepare for war", since training for war is all they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back