"The truth is... I am Iron Man."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ragin Pagan

Okay, so I've decided to make an Iron Man suit. I anticipate both good things, and unfortunately bad things, from this project. I will also most likely be out of contact for the 2-3 months I've predicted this taking. I hope to start in August of this year. I'm working on scaled sketches, where I draw the armor on tracing paper while it's overlaying a photo of myself posing. I hope to have those up soon, but in the mean time are there any points of advice from anyone, mainly on the gloves?
I'm willing to answer any questions on how I intend to do this, but let me clear some ideas that I have out of the way;

Wal Mart sells a touch-turn-on LED light that lasts up to 100,000 hours. It runs on 3 AAA batteries, and is just the right size for the suit's heart.

Hastings sells a multitude of book-lights, and I've found one that would fit in my palm, the neck would articulate freely to allow my hand movement, and the base would rest in the arm piece. It also runs on 3 AAA batteries.

I plan to put sunglasses lens in the eye holes on the helmet. An LED light in both sides will shine on the lenses, making them "light up". This is an idea in progress.

I intend to also make the faceplate removable, and the jaw plate hinged, which would then lock in place to keep the faceplate on.

This will all be made of cardboard and duct tape, painted with a metallic acrylic paint, and sprayed with a sealant to keep the paint from chipping. Whether or not I'll use sheet aluminum is yet to be decided.

Unless you have a full-on crazy armoring shop, you'd better stick to very thin sheet. Probably shouldn't use cardboard, too- it's a crappy-looking way to build, disintegrates over time, etc, etc...

You might want to grab a pair of tin snips and some of that thin galvanized sheet sold for flashing, and play around a bit. The steel will work much easier than aluminum sheet will- aluminum is pretty brittle, more expensive, and it'll be painted anyways..

If you use this approach I kind of suggest you go with a War Machine style suit so you can use pop rivets to fasten together plates. You might want to carefully roll all the edges with pliers and coat them with plasti-dip or truck bed liner to make sure you don't get cut, too..

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck!

Hey, my Iron Man helm's cardboard...
No where near complete yet, but still. I don't think its safe to say stuff like that, especially when there are a lot of people here with cardboard armor that looks amazing.

[attachment=4224:n1187190...5229_678.jpg]

Cardboard vs. Cardboard. That suit also won me the Legendary edition. It's a year old and still truckin'.

[attachment=4225:n1187190...5230_922.jpg]

Cardboard's able to last, but if I do use aluminum it would be bought at Sutherlands, and cover the cardboard base. That makes for a semi-comfortable padding. Also, cardboard and duct tape is on budget for a college RA making 50 bucks every two weeks.

why dont you just use sheets of styrene? the same sheet that you can use for vacuum forming! i will love to see your sketches and work in progress. good luck

Vrogy said:
If you use this approach I kind of suggest you go with a War Machine style suit so you can use pop rivets to fasten together plates. You might want to carefully roll all the edges with pliers and coat them with plasti-dip or truck bed liner to make sure you don't get cut, too..

Ooo I'd like to see someone do this. That sounds pretty darn cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I have so far. I'll probably finish the helmet, then start work on the suit in August.
Photo3.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo2.jpg

I think you're off to a good start, perhaps alter the curve of the top of the helmet make it more circular. There are a lot of good reference images on the net now the film is out. I think once you add the curves and get some bondo on it, you'll be away. keep it up :)

Spartan-419 said:
Update:

Helmet is complete with the slight detail of lights above the visors.

Photo5-1.jpg

Photo6.jpg

Photo7.jpg

Photo8.jpg

man, your idea of using the sunglasses lenses and led light to the sides of them was EXACTYLY what i had in mind, but im working on spartan armour, i hope you can do what i couldnt

but honestly, cardboard isnt the best stuff for a whole iron man suit

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?act=atta...ost&id=4261
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?act=atta...ost&id=4260

some guy actually used metal, hasnt got so fare yet,

have you thought of using pepakura, with card not paper, and then fibreglassing the inside and resining the outside, it will be neater, smoother and stronger than carboard

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardboard's my main medium. I've been able to do wonderful things with it on my MJOLNIR suit, and plan to be the first, if not one of, persons to make a cardboard Iron Man suit. It'll turn out fine.

UPDATE:

Got some more work done on my costume, now that I have access to the materials. I now have the gauntlets, and the base for the chest plate. I know my eyes look dorky in the first picture. I was very tired, and it's still a work in progress.

100E1683.jpg

100E1684.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back