The WETA helmet - Where is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing them, they wont reply for a while. And often they are bound by contracts to keep things secret... But hopefully they might tell to an Uber fan such as me!

I've emailed Weta before, asking them about their entry qualification requirements, and they replied within 2 weeks.
It may be possible that Weta are not allowed to divulge this sort of information due to existing contracts with Bungie and Mountain Dew (You heard right, Weta are supplying MD with halo props for their commercials).

Either way, as soon as I get an answer (if I get one at all) I will put it straight on here.

I'm pretty sure it's in storage with them. I just hope that the molds and the originals are being stored safely and properly.Many hollywood props suffer from degradation and neglect once the movies are done due to poor storage procedures and lack of concern by the movie houses

I believe they are still at Weta Workshop's Warehouse in Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand.
I can remember there being a fire there last year though... possibly they were destroyed or severely burnt. But I'm sure they would still have the original moulds.

-Did you know that Weta Handcrafts all of their Prop pieces???-

That was only the Minitures department that burned down.

I actually Know Richard Taylor and several other Weta employee's as does Belkor.
(NZ is a small place really lol)

One of the helmets was sitting in Richards office last time I asked, I made the joke of borrowing it for a few weeks lol
That was a little less than a year ago.
I doubt that has changed, as Richard and Peter love all things collectible and Sci-Fi especially the stuff they/the team do themselves and adorn there offices and buildings with it.

Belkor would know for sure though as he has a lot more to do with Weta these days than I do.

@I am Fuzzy Bear- The earthquake was in Christchurch, WETA is located in Wellington so there nothing to worry 'bout there.

@Deadalus Thorn- Can you put a word in for me??? I hope to join Weta Workshop in 13 years time after I get my Bachelor of Design and 10 years experience.

@I am Fuzzy Bear- The earthquake was in Christchurch, WETA is located in Wellington so there nothing to worry 'bout there.

@Deadalus Thorn- Can you put a word in for me??? I hope to join Weta Workshop in 13 years time after I get my Bachelor of Design and 10 years experience.

Yep Sharp is correct, the quake hit ChristChurch and it is an absolute mess.
Wellington was untouched.

13 years..... lol I'll be an old man then and who knows where Weta will be.
Best advice - Build yourself a good portfolio, its the only way really, the team like to see tangible items and idea's.
I do know they are employing now tho for The Hobbit, but have a preference for people with new idea's, techniques and relevant experience.

Thanks Deadalus. I have only just started my design course up in Auckland, so I kinda got a long way to go before I start sending in my portfolio.

Also in regards to that email I sent to Weta, they haven't replied at all. I think it's fair to say that they can't answer the question due to secrecy contracts and security (Don't want a bunch of people trying to break in to steal their work). Therefore it is only best to keep speculating.

I have a theory that Weta have sent the props around with our good friend Neil Blomkamp (Director of District 9 and possible Halo film) to promote Weta's interest and possible role in such a film.

I also found a video on youtube with a supposed functional MA5c bought from Weta. Maybe they sold them???

And to recast them would bring a hellfire of crap upon us :p WETA is a big company and I doubt they'd be pleased with people doing re-casts.

By the way, if you've never seen a Weta before...

bug-and-butterfly-garden-weta.jpg

Yeah we better not ask too many questions, because WETA looks ANGRY!

Also in regards to that email I sent to Weta, they haven't replied at all. I think it's fair to say that they can't answer the question due to secrecy contracts and security (Don't want a bunch of people trying to break in to steal their work). Therefore it is only best to keep speculating.

Doubt it. The are probably busy. I sent a letter to Bungie in May of last year (2010), in the middle of the Beta. They didn't respond until this past January, after things had cooled down. Patience is key for matter such as these.

I have a theory that Weta have sent the props around with our good friend Neil Blomkamp (Director of District 9 and possible Halo film) to promote Weta's interest and possible role in such a film.

Neil Blomkamp said that if he was offered a job for the Halo Movie, he would deny it. I read that on Halopedia recently.

Can you post a link to the vid? I would love to see it!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Here it is:
Took me an hour to find. It fires blanks, but somehow I don't think it the real deal on further inspection. It doesn't look like a Bullpup... And the muzzle flash doesn't emmit light on the guy. Its fake...

Also, in regards to Blomkamp. He directed the Halo: Landfall shorts, so it would be pretty dumb not to get him to direct the movie. Besides Blomkamp's style will work wonders for the story and the action. So I for one don't believe anything posted on Wiki...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some facts about Weta and Halo (I did have extensive conversations with someone from Weta via email, and another member here amassed further information directly from them in person).

They made 2 full finished suits of ODST armor, and only 2 suits. Bungie has 1 helmet and 1 torso armor, I never heard about the lower armor of that set. The other suit is in a private collector's possession, name and location were not allowed to be revealed.

They made no mention of the masters or molds, but one would assume secure storage. He wasn't sure about these items, he'd never seen them or heard mention of them.

As far as Blomkamp and Halo, he definitely said he would decline, I read it in several different printed interviews. He (along with Weta) spent a considerable amount of time in pre-production design and development, with Weta actually building most of a new redesigned Warthog among other things. Work was progressing well when the project was canceled suddenly and without warning. He moved on to D9, and after sinking so much time into Halo and having it pulled out from under him he said he would not return to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back