Things they didn't tell you...personal discoveries...anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighouse

1. Rondo may actually take many days to cure. It may remain tacky inside a helmet for a day or more. Check daily for tackyness. Keep the helmet in a dry, warm place. Eventually the tackyness will go away and the outgassing will stop as well once it's fully cured.
2. Rondo's messy and drippy and runny. Create a dam from blue painter's tape to form a lip that will allow you to run the Rondo up to the very edge of your helmet opening and build up thickness at that point as well.
3. Work in the warm sunlight. Sloshing around in the sun allows you to really see where your Rondo's going AND the additional heat from the sunlight helps set it even faster. Setting the helm down in the bright sun really helps radiant heat from SOL warm the helmet and (I'm guessing) speed the curing process. You can also use the bright sunlight to see through your Rondo from the inside, so you can move the Rondo to the areas that don't have as thick of a coat on them.

Here are a few tips about that.

1. To make rondo cure faster add a few extra drops of the liquid hardener. If it is tacky after its hardened you can dust the inside with baby powder or bondo dust from sanding.(bondo dusts is free)

2.To make rondo easier to work with use less resin. The more resin you use the thinner the rondo becomes. I use a 3/1 mix. 3 parts bondo to 1 part resin.

3. You make a good point here and there is nothing really to add.

1. if you have the basic or even final details carved, sanded, etc. into your peice and just need to smooth out a section, you can mix a very high resin ratio rondo and just pour it all on top of the piece to get a smooth outer 'shell' that requires very little extra work. works great for smoothing out those points where you sand past the paper and it begins curling up

^lol what as long as you close the can your resin will be fine, i had a container lying around from a year ago and it was fine because it was properly closed and didnt get to cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back