Thinkin about buyin a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm going to suggest a Gateway, because A: I have always had one B: Before I got my current laptop this spring, I was using a ten year old desktop that had never crashed

I'm currently using a Gateway MX8734. It's a great machine. It runs great, and has a 17" display. Of course, I got it for a steal, only $600.00! Good luck finding that price.

get an apple mac, i am typing this from my imac and i love it. i am never going back to rubbishy windows machines!

get a mac book, they are just as good as a £1600 windows machine and are only £600 entry.
you need no software as they come with loads out of the box and are easier to set up, i was on the forums in 7 mins.

i cannot tell you how good they are but at least look into them.

oh, and you dont get as many viruses!

It's not to say that PC's can't have great virus protection, just that they're often targeted cause they're the largest share of market. Mac users will certainly enjoy being low key though.

I bought an HP near the end of college and I like the hardware options and the box assembly. Something to note when buying any new Window machines...a lot of companies are beginning to offer Vista only. I can't recommend Vista with flying colors just yet. It's...okay. Not great, just okay. It shipped with my machine and it takes tweaking to get your resource usage in check, and most people don't know how or don't feel they should have to. It's got aesthetic appeal, honestly it looks like 10 and XP had a love child, and it will be really nice when they get the kinks worked out. At this point though, I still feel more comfortable at my work PC using XP SPII.

I liked using a mac in college labs. I probably would have looked into buying one, except for the difference in cost and that I have a Creative Suite License for Windows only.

This is a really good time of year to buy, so hopefully you can find something peppy for a good price.

Vader, please tell me you're joking. There's this thing, called Boot Camp. Oh, and Fusion, and Parallels...

I'm typing this from a week-old iMac. Used a mac only a couple times before, and the transition was seamless.
With Boot Camp you can stick a partition on via GUI and install and boot to windows. Everything's simpler and prettier.

If you have to have black there's a black Macbook, you can get one on Ebay for around 800-900 USD.

Switch. You won't regret it.

HAHAHA, that's so old but still so funny. Gotta love RVB.

Anyway, Mac's are really only still good for a couple things.

1.) Excellent video/audio editing software. (Better than an PC programs)
2.) Great graphics editing software. (Again the best)
3.) Little to no viruses.

If you're into A/V creation or editing with very few headaches in protection, go for a Mac.
If you're into everything else, go for a PC. I have a Dell, but HP is starting to really run the market on laptops.

-Magnum

PS - I'm not bashing Mac's, I just know what their strengths are and are not. I'd like a G5, or is G6 now?

Acually im going to use this for Halo 2 vista, and other games so all i want is A black, silver or white one. It can be anything but Compaq and Acer. I perfer HP, and Sony. Plus i will buy anything that has vista in those brands lol i just need help deciding.

I just got an HP laptop this summer (a tx1000z). Although it runs nicely, is small and light, HP has crappy video cards. I'm also dual booting with Ubuntu, which runs MUCH faster than vista on this computer, but HP kind of sucks for dual booting, since some components are incompatible with Ubuntu. Anyways, I would recommend an HP or a newer Dell.

BUT, I would seriously consider buying a regular desktop over most laptops, since you get so much better specs for the same price. Also, most laptops are just used at home, since they are rather heavy and battery life will get you only 2-4 hours of use outside of your home; this defeats the purpose of getting a laptop to begin with as well.

I've never really used a Mac for too much, but yes, they are decent computers and personally I like Leopard over Vista, since Vista is such a memory hog. Although, I would use Mac's more for graphics and videos, but I would prefer to use XP for anything else.

Final thoughts: I would buy a desktop over a laptop, I would buy AMD over Intel processors, Macs are nice, but seem a little overpriced for what they are, don't pick you're laptop based on colour, Macs cannot use pepakura, don't buy Vista without 2 or more GB of RAM, don't buy anything too cheap.

Ironcobra3000 said:
I have a great HP laptop, 2 GB of RAM, Geforce 8400 GS, 180 GB HD, and a 2.0 GHz processor. ;) I lurv it!

Hehe my mom just bought a HP laptop the other day with the same spec for $1,000, oh but its got a 160GB hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
koobs said:
Final thoughts: I would buy a desktop over a laptop, I would buy AMD over Intel processors, Macs are nice, but seem a little overpriced for what they are, don't pick you're laptop based on colour, Macs cannot use pepakura, don't buy Vista without 2 or more GB of RAM, don't buy anything too cheap.
Macs with CAN use pepakura buy using Boot Camp, Fusion, or Parallels. Get a mac and you have both worlds

Jarhead said:
Macs with CAN use pepakura buy using Boot Camp, Fusion, or Parallels. Get a mac and you have both worlds
Lol. Come on guys everybodys suggesting mac. I would really like HP or Sony, im typing this on a mac. ROFL.

Leadingspartan said:
Any Recommendations. I like black ones BTW.
Hp, never have a problem with my laptops, they are cheap, have good parts, and great customer service, thats why they are always in the top 3, they have been number 1 before. If not, try compaq (same parts as HP, made by HP, different logo). Or try toshiba, toshiba laptops are fatter, but HP laptops are thinner usually.

Btw. HP laptops are black when closed.

AoBfrost said:
Hp, never have a problem with my laptops, they are cheap, have good parts, and great customer service, thats why they are always in the top 3, they have been number 1 before. If not, try compaq (same parts as HP, made by HP, different logo). Or try toshiba, toshiba laptops are fatter, but HP laptops are thinner usually.

Btw. HP laptops are black when closed.
I don't like compaq, or toshiba sorry.

I got an HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop it works pretty well I wanted an alienware laptop but ohwell. It looks pretty cool what with the inprint design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back