this okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafnation

Hey, I've been lingering around your forums for about a few weeks now and I decided to join to share ideas and what not. Today after class I am buying a respirator and i'm pretty set on one from Home Depot. I just want to make sure that a respirator that filters organic vapors is the right way to go. I am also working outside so I dont know if that will have any sort of effect on it.

here

I want to realize that safety is first and I wanted to clarify with anyone who knows the harms of fiberglass resin to know if that is okay. cancer = not cool.

Thanks.

Link is broke...If you go to Home Depot you can probably tell them what you are doing, and they can figure out what respirator. Also, I don't think resin will give you cancer >< it's just very bad for your lungs.

Leafnation said:
Hey, I've been lingering around your forums for about a few weeks now and I decided to join to share ideas and what not. Today after class I am buying a respirator and i'm pretty set on one from Home Depot. I just want to make sure that a respirator that filters organic vapors is the right way to go. I am also working outside so I dont know if that will have any sort of effect on it.

here
I want to realize that safety is first and I wanted to clarify with anyone who knows the harms of fiberglass resin to know if that is okay. cancer = not cool.
Thanks.

Correct.

I also bought the professional organic cartridge respirator from Home Depot for $40. It did its job all throughout my fiberglassing process.

The smell from the fumes is from the styrene in the resin.

Studies evaluating inhalation exposure have demonstrated that styrene is a strong irritant.
Eye, nose and throat irritation is common at exposure levels above 50 to 100 ppm but can also occur at levels of about 20 to 30 ppm.
At very high levels chronic bronchitis type symptoms and other respiratory symptoms appear. Multiple central and peripheral acute nervous system effects have been described at levels of about 100 ppm but some neurological symptoms and color vision impairment may also appear at much lower levels. Effects on the liver (acute in animals, chronic in exposed workers), and the kidney and also genotoxic effects have been described at low levels.
In the past, the so called "styrene sickness" was described in workers heavily exposed to styrene including nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, and general weakness.

-Vex

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I got the respirator, and im still smelling a little bit of the fumes (I am working outside too). Is that normal?

I'd might as well post what cartridge I have:

According to the website:

# This Paint & Pesticide respirator is approved to the R95/OV category. R95 filters are at least 95% efficient against oil-based contaminants, and resist degradation for at least an 8-hour shift
# The OV classification means that the respirator is also approved for organic vapors

Believe me, If you have a respirator, you'll be fine (as long as it's on right, lol). Some people use the resin outside with no mask at ALL, but I would highly NOT recommend doing this, as particles get into your senses and can cause disease/cancer (very rare, but possible).

Leafnation said:
Okay so I got the respirator, and im still smelling a little bit of the fumes (I am working outside too). Is that normal?

Indeed the smell will still get thru the mask a little. Make sure you have a good seal on your mask (you should feel it suction down the first time you inhale) and that's really the best you can do.

Eye protection is also a good idea as was mentioned above. (Mostly for unresined fibers but also for the errant droplets and vapors)

-Vex

Last edited by a moderator:
the link above is broken, so i dont really know what kind of respirator to get. ill be starting soon, os i have to get one. i dont really feel like paying alot of money. is there a cheap one that still works out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back