Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some awesome armor. I actually have the helmet and torso. Sadly that's all he made available before he left. I dunno where to get the rest! I also fear I don't have the talent to do what Thor did.

second that elite status vote on this thread.

bdw, newer people, he's away on a cargo ship atm n wont be back for a while, thats why he's not replying.

Hey all,

I've been paid off from my ship and I'll be in New Orleans for a couple of weeks before I head back home. While I'm here I'll be doing a little bit of work on the parts of the armor I've built pep models for while I was out at sea.

I got off the ship early because it turns out I've been called up by my naval reserve unit and they'll be loaning me to the Army in Afghanistan for seven months starting in mid-September. Don't ask me what the Army needs a naval officer for, I still haven't figured it out. So while I will be tinkering with this project a bit, I'll also be rushing through pre-deployment preps as well as getting married in a mad rush before I ship out again.

No rest for the weary I suppose.

So while I was out at sea I put together two sizes of forearms:
ArrivalSanFrancisco001.jpg

I also built Skullcandygirl's thigh (the one on the right) and crackhead09's thigh (the one on the left) and decided I like crackhead09's thighs better than Skullcandygirl's. Nothing personal, Skullcandygirl. Your thighs are great and I'm sure you're a wonderful person, but they're just not quite what I need right now. I hope you understand.

Thighcomparison001.jpg

I've built crackhead09's space-diaper and calf armor too, and a left thigh to match the right one (the left right one pictured above), but I don't have pics of those yet.

Before heading home, I've been staying with my fiancee in lovely New Orleans, LA (where she's stationed) for a couple of weeks. This is no reason to put off the costume project though, so we spent some quality time today spreading some polyester resin and fiberglass goodness.

08August038.jpg

Sadly she was the one holding the camera, so while I don't have any pictures of her doing anything, she got a lot of shots of me doing this sort of thing:
08August044.jpg

In the end, she did all of the glass work on my lone calf model:
08August051.jpg

08August052.jpg

Which came out pretty well considering she'd never done any work with any kind of composites before.

Otherwise, I coated two different sizes of left and right HD forearms:
08August048.jpg

I also managed to lay resin and mat into one of the thighs:
08August047.jpg

So all told, at the end of the day we'd glassed my small pair of biceps, my one unilateral calf, two pairs of forearms, and the large pair of thighs:
08August053.jpg

Not bad for a couple of hours worth of effort. Tomorrow we'll be recovering from a massive hangover and then adding mat and resin to the other thigh, the biceps, and the forearms. Yay!

Glad you're back and sorry you're leaving again. The Army with a Naval Officer? Never happened in my 10 years in the Army.

As usual, your work looks great!

thorssoli said:

A hanging garden of toxin right there :p jk

nice work! Looks great so far, but you haven't even started to add detail. I'm awaiting to see how good these turn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Words fail me for the amount of shock and awe I've experienced from looking through all of your work so far. If i had to pick one specific point that amazed me most it would be the cold cast helmet. it looked absolutely amazing!

I think you're giving every other builder on here a run of their money with this level of epicness.

I'm back in California again and have finally made a tiny bit of progress. So far all I've managed to do is a little bit of fairing on some of my latest round of pep models. After I started sanding I decided it would be a good idea to pour some extra casting resin inside so it wouldn't matter if I sanded through the paper parts. Then I poured expanding foam inside to keep everything a bit more stable. So now I'm ready to go into the bondo phase on my biceps, two sizes of forearms, and one size of calf:
FoamFilling.jpg

I'm only making one calf since the left and right are the same. I may at some point make two molds of it to speed production, but I doubt that will be necessary:
FoamFilling2.jpg

Of course I messed up the pep model a little bit (there's a tiny bit of twist along the length of the piece) so there is still some symmetry work to be done:
FoamFilling4.jpg

Thanks again for all of your kind comments. Anybody who has done this knows that feedback is like fuel for a project like this. Also, if you're one of the folks who has bought any of my castings, please feel free to post pictures of your painted-up Thorssoli armor or helmets. I'm curious to see what others have done with them.

yeay, so your kinda back now?
I'm just lookin at the stuff you have in your work shop n man I'm jelious!!!!

as for the models, well you know their lookin great! heh, love the hot-pink hand plate in the first pic.
lookin forward to seein more.

bdw, feed back may be fuel for a project but seein this makes me want to kick up the speed of work on my stuff a notch or two.

*keeps an eye on thread*

flying_squirl said:
heh, love the hot-pink hand plate in the first pic.

Yeah, I've decided that instead of MC green I'm going to make all of my prototypes "light red" a la Donut. The castings will still be grey, but once in a while I like to do that sort of thing just to piss people off.

thorssoli said:
Yeah, I've decided that instead of MC green I'm going to make all of my prototypes "light red" a la Donut. The castings will still be grey, but once in a while I like to do that sort of thing just to piss people off.

Great plan ROCKSTAR! Glad to see you back! You're the donut to my Church, lol. Now that your around I notice you only have one gear, FREAKING FAST! Props to ya thorssoli! :cool:

Fast, yes. Today is bondo day. Tomorrow will probably be as well. My fiancee flies in on the first and was wanting to learn how to make molds (so I can put her to work) so I'm hoping to at least be ready to mold the calf by the time she lands.

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back