Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I poured the last of the silicone for my chest molds. I'll be pulling it apart and making my first castings today.

I also got wired on caffeine and sat up all night cutting and folding and gluing and so forth. I finished a larger size for the HD boots and cranked out a size-tester for the bicep armor. This is me trying it on:

UpperArmSizeTest003.jpg

I also made some progress on the first helmet that I will actually finish painting. I'll start another thread on that little side project when I've got it finished.

Stay tuned.

the cold casting is awesome, can you cold cast in a bright chrome colour and then top coat with a candy? that would look sick.

He says in post 29

Essentially, it's a gold-tint motorcycle face shield with a .015" thick, clear styrene cutout laid over the top of it. I think it looks the part:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the first pull from the torso molds yesterday. Here it is:
FirstChest005.jpg

And a wider shot with the masters in the background:
FirstChest003.jpg

As usual, the first casting is way too thick and heavy. I'll be making more pulls today and laying them up with some fiberglass to make them thinner and lighter and just a bit stronger. Then I'll be pouring some foam inside to bulk them up a bit more.

Then I'll experiment with cold-casting a set.

Thanks for the compliments.

The mold is a bit thin in a few spots, so hopefully it'll hold up for a while. Either way, I picked up some valuable lessons learned that I can apply to the next size torso.

Came out nice. I am really interested in how your molds work! I want to how they look when you're casting.
also, you said something about fiberglass them after you pull them...soo you want to cast a thinner mold to save on material cost(but still will be strong and rigid) and reinforce with fg and a think (1/2inch) layer of foam??
sounds like a good idea (if i got it right) man i wish a had a workshop!!
keep on trucking!!!

thorssoli said:
Thanks for the compliments.

The mold is a bit thin in a few spots, so hopefully it'll hold up for a while. Either way, I picked up some valuable lessons learned that I can apply to the next size torso.

Nice work... nice work.

JediStumpy said:
Came out nice. I am really interested in how your molds work! I want to how they look when you're casting.
also, you said something about fiberglass them after you pull them...soo you want to cast a thinner mold to save on material cost(but still will be strong and rigid) and reinforce with fg and a think (1/2inch) layer of foam??
sounds like a good idea (if i got it right) man i wish a had a workshop!!
keep on trucking!!!

The plan is to pour a thin layer of urethane resin with microballoons for filler to pick up all of the surface details. Then lay over the resin with fiberglass mat and cloth. Then layer over the fiberglass with urethane foam. Once I've got that figured out, I'll make sets with a first layer of clear resin with black tinting and aluminum powder for a convincing metallic surface.

The material cost isn't really the issue (I'm buying resin in 10-gallon kits lately), instead I'm worried about making the whole thing lightweight. The first casting of the chest plate alone is about 12 pounds. At that rate I'd be building a suit that would weigh in at around 80 lbs. It's very strong, but unless it's bulletproof it's not worth carrying all that plastic around.

thorssoli said:
The plan is to pour a thin layer of urethane resin with microballoons for filler to pick up all of the surface details. Then lay over the resin with fiberglass mat and cloth. Then layer over the fiberglass with urethane foam. Once I've got that figured out, I'll make sets with a first layer of clear resin with black tinting and aluminum powder for a convincing metallic surface.

The material cost isn't really the issue (I'm buying resin in 10-gallon kits lately), instead I'm worried about making the whole thing lightweight. The first casting of the chest plate alone is about 12 pounds. At that rate I'd be building a suit that would weigh in at around 80 lbs. It's very strong, but unless it's bulletproof it's not worth carrying all that plastic around.

80 LBS!!!! HOT DAMN you better be in Spartan shape! Sounds like you might needs some strong people to wear that stuff. *cough* me *cough*. Seriously, excellent work my friend. Truly spectacular. I don't know if the little I am doing on the Halo 2 ODST will compare, but I can try. Here is to making it in time for Halloween.

Heavyarms_Custom said:
thats sweet stuff but if it would weigh 80 lbs i would have a molten steel mold made and thing line it with dragon skin or something

Like I said, the first casting is overwieght, so the rest will be done using a lighter, stronger composite. The first chest casting was twelve pounds just for the front plate. I'm aiming to get the entire torso down to eight pounds at most.

Stay tuned.

thorssoli said:
I finished the first pull from the torso molds yesterday. Here it is:

Wow. :notworthy: That's truly excellent.

I've got my HD torso built. I hoped to mold it too. Don't know if I can compete with this though! Mine is proportionate to my height, but since I'm not a 6'2" version of MC, it doesn't fit me around the chest. I'll have to modify it. Now if I only had the time... :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back