Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
blob said:
I really like the desert camo, how did you do it? or is it a secret

Masking and painting... It's all in the layers. I'vev seen similar things on models, spray 1 color, mask it off with squares of rectangles. Next color, more tape. repeat till you have the desired effect. That or decals work...

I really love that paint job! digging it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boba Fett said:
Masking and painting... It's all in the layers. I'vev seen similar things on models, spray 1 color, mask it off with squares of rectangles. Next color, more tape. repeat till you have the desired effect. That or decals work...

In my case, I started with the entire helmet sprayed with the predominant color. Then I started with the next darker color and airbrushed it on using a custom stencil:

4594046455_3f05db1602_o.jpg

The stencil was made by printing some images of digital camo (MARPAT in this case) onto cardstock, laminating the cardstock, then cutting out some of the color blotches with an X-acto knife. For the inside corners I cut one of the stencils in half so as to have an open-ended color blotch to use. Since I'm layering on multiple colors, I can get a pretty wide variety of shapes with just a few stencils just by partially overlapping blotches of one color on top of another.

In other news, progress continues on my larger torso prototype:

4594660294_86c9238632_o.jpg

At this point I've got a bit of fairing to do, but I'm already making good progress on the tiny details:

4594045965_12142313bb_o.jpg

4594661004_25cff2c768_o.jpg

I still need to add the detailed parts in these two areas:

4594660496_7eff731ab1_o.jpg

The larger one below that will be a separate casting.

At the current rate, I'll have this thing smooth, primed, and be about ready to order moldmaking goo in a day or two.

Of course, I thought I'd have this one knocked out last week too. Then I ended up making pistols, truck fenders, and garden gnomes, as well as cleaning up an oil spill, rescuing an abandoned boat, entering a hotrod in a car show, and seeing Ironman 2 (twice).

I'd've probably finished the armor if it weren't for the movie.

Stay tuned...

Any word on casting the chest portion of the torso in a flexible urethane foam like FlexFoamIt? Oh, and as always its looking great! Your attention to detail is fantastic!

I might try making a pull in foam after I get a handful of successful rigid castings out of the mold. I can't make any promises though.

What is this!?!?! Another " Road Kill" ???

Oh noes, I must invite you to a BBQ.

As for the armor, this is coming along as one hell of a set. I can't wait to see this finished.

Ooooooh, sweet jebus it's looking wonderful!

Just in regards to the photos of you playing around (or as we Aussies like to call it 'pissfarting' about) in the armour, what's it like to move in? Any limits in mobility and movement in the arms?

I've just finished pepping the torso and one of the biceps and the pauldron(?) gets caught in the shoulder part of the torso armour. Is this a problem for you?

Old Trenchy said:
Ooooooh, sweet jebus it's looking wonderful!

Just in regards to the photos of you playing around (or as we Aussies like to call it 'pissfarting' about) in the armour, what's it like to move in? Any limits in mobility and movement in the arms?

I've just finished pepping the torso and one of the biceps and the pauldron(?) gets caught in the shoulder part of the torso armour. Is this a problem for you?

The shoulder bumps when I hold my arms open wide and they prevent me from doing jumping jacks. I can bend my elbow just a bit over 90 degrees, but more than that and the bicep bumps the gauntlet. I can bend my hip and knee a bit more than 90 degrees as well. Sooner or later I'll post pics or video demonstrating my mobility, but it's actually pretty maneuverable.

I'm also thinking I'll take Brandon McClain's suggestion and make some parts in flexible foam. I just need to find a firm enough self-skinning foam to prevent it from sagging too much. At this point, it looks like I'll probably be doing the boots mostly in foam as well.

FlexFoamIt17 and FlexFoamit25 are fantastic self skinning foams. I just got a gallon kit in the mail today, and I am a happy man. If you decide that you would be okay doing a chest in flexible foam, I would be super interested. You really do fantastic work!

I'm still tweaking the larger torso, but the back looks like it's about 99% done:

4606813326_ef917b35bc_o.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside:

4606196095_d09b8f35ea_o.jpg

At this point, all I have left to do is a bit of smoothing on the outside of the back, make the prototypes for the vents and the details at the lower end of the back, and clean up the inside of the shoulder boxes:

4606813172_a147bb537b_o.jpg

The chest armor is completely ready to mold now that I've added these little details:

4606195893_ef5c089c26_o.jpg

At this point, if I ordered the silicone to make the mold I'd be ready to use it once it arrived. Sadly, nobody seems to be very interested in my pre-order thread. So I may suffer some delays while I'm putting together a bit more money to fund the moldmaking.

Is the thread in the classifieds? I can't find that forum, but I would imagine it unlocks at X number of posts just like the creation of a new topic @ 50 outside of the NOOB forum

MxRacer476 said:
Is the thread in the classifieds? I can't find that forum, but I would imagine it unlocks at X number of posts just like the creation of a new topic @ 50 outside of the NOOB forum

No it is not.

Its in the elite section.

And i believe its 90 posts to become a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back