Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big event is done. Here's some pics from the Bay Area Maker Faire...

579513_10150900574356250_508181249_9841323_1404019847_n.jpg

7243577534_e471d80652_c.jpg

7243583310_69654ef5a6.jpg

These guys were a huge hit with the crowd at the Maker Faire:
7243579846_952d2bf567_b.jpg

It also turns out that the hat/helmet plan was basically unnecessary for all of the wearers. Unfortunately, since I hadn't put any cooling fans or padding in the helmets, it meant that the guys were only putting the helmets on for a few occasional photos. Most of the time they went without:
7243578652_9a0cbf31d4_b.jpg

I also had the third suit walking around with the double-headed imperial turducken on the chest, but we never got any pictures of all three together.

Now I have to crank out the finish work on the last two suits and work out a photoshoot. More to follow, but first I need to take a break for a while.

Holy crap....awesome!! Those turned out great Shawn!! I can't imagine seeing one of them in person. The sheer size has to be awe-inspiring.

-Matt

It turns out he's too tall for the costume, but he almost looks the part

Too tall... for an eight foot tall costume... scary.

Great pictures by the way. I wish that I could have been in the area, but at least there are the pictures. I like the ones that Sir Tsaboc posted here.

Great job, I hope you get the chance to take a short break and recover from what must have been a pretty long weekend.

OMG!! How awesome is this?!?! SOOOOO awesome! Excellent work, I so wish I could see this in person! But, if you post a video, I suppose that will do... for now... ;)

Thorssoli: could use a system similar to what you used at the joint of the elbow to the knee joint ?

The rubber bits are done the same way. The elbow is permanently strapped together. Since I needed to get in through the knee to strap the stilts onto the wearer, I had to make it so it could come apart. There's still some polishing that needs to happen with that part, but I'm confident it'll come together.

I still haven't managed to clean up the workshop and get back to making things, but I thought I might as well share this pic of the most vital part of the build:
7243579626_277111313d_o.jpg

Each of the three suits had this exact same purity seal on the left shoulder plate.

From what little I know about you and your sense of humor, Shawn, the heart in the purity seal on a 40K space marine just fits perfectly. Nice touch with the disclaimer, though. Have you thought about getting with GW and maybe doing a deal to have your suits at official GW events?

You may as well work for Gameshop and earn bazillions. Great work on a suit (of large proportions) and love the purity seal easter egg.!!!

The suits are righteous man. Congrats on the awesome job, I love the pics. Looks like everyone as having fun with the suits :)

Congrats on the interview man. And you're right, it looks like your guy had a ton of fun with the interviewer. Great stuff!:D

Just found this one from tested.com: http://youtu.be/IU8AUNhGLBU

I like it much better because they were much more focused on the how-to aspects of it all and the interviewer didn't bungle it up.

Plus it shows some great shots of the guys getting suited up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back