Thoughts on Halo Armor for Paintball or Airsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wonder you're planning to use TASK® 12 Series Liquid Plastic instead. Speaking of which, I hope the results on your test turn out well! :D

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't vacuum forming both the front and the back of the helmet with kydex sheets, then somehow fusing the two pieces together work just as well?

Yeah, I think it's a bad idea to wear armor in a war. But, I have been thinking about taking an airsoft gun, making the shape of Covenant Carbine, fiberglassing it, painting it and everything. Maybe adding some protective spray paint (if they make any) to help protect it if any BBs hit the gun. It would be very cool, but kind of hard to do. And I would make the form of the Carbine removeable so you can still use the actual gun. But first I'm gonna make my costume. ;D

automotive self-etching primer as a base will keep the body from warping from a BB impact. Throw a layer of plasti-dip over that to absorb impact and then paint as you see fit.

Just to let you know, this is what I did for a bunch of equipment that soldiers carried with them in Iraq and Ashcanistan... one guy's iPod case survived a mortar round blowing about 7-feet away from it. If he had closed the case, the iPod would have survived... one just like it (painted by another supply guy) was about 10-feet away and was fine.

Whoa, you made stuff for soldiers? Cool! But I'm not gonna make the gun until my costume is finished. So my Elite will have an Energy Sword, Energy Staff, and Carbine!

Unfortunately, all this time, Kydex sheets are only available by BULK from where I live in. Far too expensive for me.

I've had quite an interesting discovery, though. I've tried out coating a piece of cardboard with a thick layer of hot glue. I shot it a few feet away, (with an Ares T.A.R. 21 Tavor, shooting 350 fps) and the sucker just bounced back at me (I meant the bullet). I also tried making a contact shot at the hot glue. Not much damage either. Both shots made very shallow dents, barely visible that I actually had to look for them. This may be fixed by reheating it, letting the glue set in a partially liquid state, then dry. I haven't tried that, but I'll let you guys know as soon as I do.

One problem with hot glue is that it could only be used inside Halo armor, unless you're okay looking like a snot-covered Spartan.

Im pretty sure foam armor has been discussed already, and i saw the pics for what happens to the stuff with bb's, but i think that it might be perfect for paintball. Of course, using halo armor or anyhing like it will dramatically efffect maneuverability plus i would not risk a years worth of work for paintballing either. What about doing "swat" stlye vests and shoulder pads. Of course using your own creativity to pimp up the armor. Use regulation masks and helmets, of course. Keep maneuverability in mind when designing this kind of armor. I would proably use the design that was made here:

It would be something that would take any where from a week to a month in order to build. The reason why i think it would work is that paintballs have a greater impact area than bbs which is why they penatrate. I am willing to try this out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive modded an airsoft shotgun to about 700 FPS and it only penetrates the eva foam at near point blank, and it just barely falls out the other side, but with metal BB's it could leave a bruise if its point blank against one layer of EVA.

Ive modded an airsoft shotgun to about 700 FPS and it only penetrates the eva foam at near point blank, and it just barely falls out the other side, but with metal BB's it could leave a bruise if its point blank against one layer of EVA.
Line the foam with terry cloth. That will prevent the plastic BBs from penetrating the foam. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not shoot metal BBs at each other. That is a terrible accident waiting to happen... Just stick with airsoft and paintball.

Hi all!

I'm new here, but i had some experience about making stuff. I'm playing airsoft for 6 years now. I know the weapon fps restrictions are different in each country. In Hungary we have an~400fps limit for auto burst with 0,25g bb. For stronger weapons there are only range restrictions. My point is, if you make a decent armor from resig and you strengthen it with fiberglass from the inside and with kevlar or carbon fiber, it'll be fine. My friend made just a mask (without glasses)for face protection with fiberglass+resin, and it stops bullets. Years ago I made a doom chest armor from a dummy torso. I just cut the bottom, upper part and the arm holes with a scalpel, than painted it. The second armor was made from car carpet. Which was made from rubber and had a fiber clothing. I glued and riveted the parts together. It worked too. Now i'm making a shell for my P90 to make it look like the main weapon from Mass Effect. This is my first resin project :)

I just tried out using epoxy putty (after 24 hours of curing) recently. The experiment was a failure, but the results were quite remarkable. With the first few contact shots (with the same gun I used for the hot glue experiment), it only ended up with a few shallow dents. But that is not the interesting part. The bbs actually shattered! After a few more rounds, the putty began to crack in the middle.

Not safe to use for two reasons, as you can see. But duuuude... I didn't expect the bbs to blow up like that. xD

Line the foam with terry cloth. That will prevent the plastic BBs from penetrating the foam. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not shoot metal BBs at each other. That is a terrible accident waiting to happen... Just stick with airsoft and paintball.

Hmm... I might look into that, but I'm not sure if EVA foam is available in HK. 8/

Try here.

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

The page is a little confusing, but you can order the EVA foam under the Sheets of Closed Cell Foam section. Right below is a category with a drop and click section called grade. Select EVA grade.

Hmm... I just realized today that EVA foam mats are no different from those "puzzle mats" kids use. They're readily available where I live, but thanks for the link, Templar! 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back