Tigersgrace's MKV WIP! Now with FOAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:fiberglassing

Just got finished fiberglassing my helmet. Here she is:

helmetglassed2.jpg

Filled the brim in with rondo because i couldnt get fibercloth in there.
helmetglassed4.jpg

Now i have a small problem. after glassing i cant get my head through the bottom opening. I'm thinking about cutting it so that i can get in. Any advice in this would be great.

Thanks for looking!

Chop away to your heart's content (or at least until your head fits in). It's very common to have this, and I went through the same thing with my first helmet. Often there's a bit of ridge you can clear out from the bottom to get it on okay, but if you get rid of all that and still can't do it, sometimes there are small sections you can cut out and hinge/reattach later. Nice work on the weapons too!

Chop away to your heart's content (or at least until your head fits in). It's very common to have this, and I went through the same thing with my first helmet. Often there's a bit of ridge you can clear out from the bottom to get it on okay, but if you get rid of all that and still can't do it, sometimes there are small sections you can cut out and hinge/reattach later. Nice work on the weapons too!

Chopped away some of the bottom (pics to come when camera is done charging) didnt effect the overall look of the helm at all and now i also have room to put a little padding around the bottom so that i dont scratch myself while putting it on. :) Thanks Halex and Spartansonny for the adviceon cutting. @Halex: Thanks for the props on the weapons; even though your DMR puts them to shame.

tigersgrace im glad to say i have my laptop replaced so i can follow this post. your magnum is awesome and keep up the good work.

tigersgrace im glad to say i have my laptop replaced so i can follow this post. your magnum is awesome and keep up the good work.

Thanks, blackout, nice to have another midwesterner on here. That magnum has been giving me a few problems; but i think i've almost got them worked out.

Looks great. Did you fill the brim all up or is it a splash coating of rondo you got in there?
Dying for more... wait spartans don't die, theyre just missing in action... Well going MIA in that case :p

Looks great. Did you fill the brim all up or is it a splash coating of rondo you got in there?
Dying for more... wait spartans don't die, theyre just missing in action... Well going MIA in that case :p

Filled it all the way up, made it a little more heavy but not enough to offset the helm. Its a very sturdy piece as well.

Man your builds are comeing along great dude. and congratulations on the E 5, did you get pinned or blood rank. Might be hitting you up about those sliced weapons files and what you have learned. Charlie Mike brother.

Man your builds are comeing along great dude. and congratulations on the E 5, did you get pinned or blood rank. Might be hitting you up about those sliced weapons files and what you have learned. Charlie Mike brother.

Thanks Trip, and its always been blood into me; and it was no different this time. (just not as many people to "pin" me this time.) I'll send you a PM with the links to them if you want them or i can just tell you where they are if i cant get the links to work.

Since the weapons that i made were quite the success with everyone who'se been looking in on this build; here are the files that i used to make them. Although some physical modifications are needed to make the pistol function as i have it in my video i will share those too.

The Magnum by chevysrule When you cut out the trigger and slide assemblies you will notice that there are extensions on the pieces themselves and grooves in the body of the weapon. When matched up correctly the slide and trigger will move freely. Before you finish putting the weapon together all you need to do is, in my case, hot glue/staple a piece of rubber band to the trigger/slide and the housing on the coresponding grove.

Sliced BR55 by L3X This build is really self explanitory, although, you will have to find something to fashon a barrel out of for yourself. I used a small piece of 1/2in pipe that i actually salvaged from a shower caddy that my wife and I were getting ready to recycle.

Also, If any one has a good sliced file for the knife it would be greatly appreciated.

Until next time.....WE RIDE!!!---Barney Stenson(how i met your mother)

Update: Bondo!

For todays update, as the title says, I've done some bondo. I also picked up the visor that i will be using as well as a light that i'm going to test-fit into the helm. Please enjoy.
The visor test fit into the helm....pretty good fit
Helmetbondo2.jpg

Helmetbondo3.jpg

Helmetbondo4.jpg

Helmetbondo5.jpg

Admittedly my bondo work is a little sloppy so i will be doing A LOT of clean up as i sand.

And the light that i'm going to reshape some and test-fit
Light.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looks like you have some sanding to do there. :p
Seriously though. Looks like you're coming along well.
Keep it up!

Looks like you have some sanding to do there. :p
Seriously though. Looks like you're coming along well.
Keep it up!

Yeah you can definitly tell that this was my FIRST time working with bondo as it looks like a little kid just placed play-doh all over the thing. The funny part of this whole experience is that i started out and pepped all of the pieces and had the mind set of completing the whole suit at the same time; and now the helmet is the only thing that i've done work on. :)

thanks for the links to the weapons you built. As far as the bondo work goes all part of the learning process. Not bad for the first time.

thanks for the links to the weapons you built. As far as the bondo work goes all part of the learning process. Not bad for the first time.

No problem blackout, I hope that the description of how i got the slide and action to work helped you as well. The bondo, or as i'm calling it now, the scourge of my existance process is definatly a learning curve that i didnt expect. Now i have a lot of sanding to do. :) Good thing I have a spare cheese grater....lol

I completely understand on how your only working on your helmet. When I started my suit I planned to do every part in stages rather than completing one then going on to the next. Unfortunately the only supplies I have right now are bondo, paint, and sand paper. This has led me to focus my attention on my helmet to see what one piece looks like finished with paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back