Tigersgrace's MKV WIP! Now with FOAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another Pep update (i know i work slow)

So i've been building the HD Rhinoc MKV ammo belt and ab plate and had some trouble putting the ab plate somewhere. In the reference pics that i have the plate and the belt are not one piece. However, to wear that piece as an individual part would be almost impossibe in my mind. so here's what i came up with.
125.jpg

And the way that i attached them
127.jpg

The idea is to have this brace in 4 places on the back side of the pieces and then after resining and fiberglassing they should be one piece. Then some minor bondo work and they will meld together seamlessly.

Pep work looks good. Very well thought out idea on joining the pieces. Definitely sounds like you've worked out a good solution to it. Good job. Keep it up.

Pep work looks good. Very well thought out idea on joining the pieces. Definitely sounds like you've worked out a good solution to it. Good job. Keep it up.

My only worry is that the fiberglassing wont hold the 2 pieces together strong enough. I would really hate to be out and about and have the ab plate fall off...lol. Any thoughts?

you defintely found a good way to fix your problem. i would say do like you are and when they harden and are fiberglassed you can drill through the braced pieces and use some small bolts and washers to join them together without them falling off from each other.

you defintely found a good way to fix your problem. i would say do like you are and when they harden and are fiberglassed you can drill through the braced pieces and use some small bolts and washers to join them together without them falling off from each other.

I never even thought about that. I'm glad i have friends like you. Thanks for the tip. :)

Update...or possible setback!

I have a huge problem on my hands now. i had my helmet in my makeshift heat mox to cure from resining and left to get a shake with my 3 ladies. When i came back, the lid to the box had fallen in and crushed the helm. Its not destroyed, but has definatly been warped badly. So here is the big question. Can I heat the resin back up, and just pull the helmet back to shape? The only thing that happened to it was that the chin got pushed toward the brim on the top.

I'll just try not to "overstay" my welcome with the questions...:)
no worries tigersgrace. it doesn't bother me at all. i enjoy helping

you should be able to pull the helmet slowly back into place with it heated pretty well, nothing to burn you know, just nice and easy. might need the wifey to help you out. She controls the heat gun, you do the pulling. post a pic so we can see how bad and whether or not it would be worth it to try and fix. more than likely it is

Here's the pic of the helmet. i just pulled out the crushed visor and am going to replace it with a new one. the old one was crushed beyond repair. With the helm being crushed down like that makes it look like a recon varient...lol
DSC_0009.jpg

i know you liked the recon helmet tiger but that is no way to go about it lol.

thats a pretty serious smash bro. try to pull it out as evenly as possible with some heat. you have nothing to lose except for possibly some more time redoing the helmet, which sucks but it happens.

i know you liked the recon helmet tiger but that is no way to go about it lol.

thats a pretty serious smash bro. try to pull it out as evenly as possible with some heat. you have nothing to lose except for possibly some more time redoing the helmet, which sucks but it happens.

Yeah i liked your build so much i decided to make a mkv recon...lol. I remember you saying something about he resin getting plyable with another coat, so here are my thoughts, and tell me if i'm going about this wrong. I am going to replace the visor and then do another coat of resin, and while its curing, place all of the braces back in and hope for the best. :)

try to straighten it out a bit before you apply another coat. yes it will be a bit moreresilient but applying resin and trying to add braces in again at the same time while its curing would be a mess. heat the original coat and it will be pliable.

It worked!!! its back out to almost normal, there is only a slight warp to the left side but its really not that noticable. I only noticed it because i was actually taking a ruler to the helm. Braces back in and I'm ready to go forward.

Also finished the handplates lastnight and am going to Resin and Bondo them tomorrow. If they cure enough, I might even get a coat of primer on them! Little steps to big progress!

oh i likey the sounds of that sir! my pep on the torso is going slowly lol, and its still too cold to do any painting or bondo work even with a heater in my shop lol. shop isn't insulated for mid thirty weather lol

oh i likey the sounds of that sir! my pep on the torso is going slowly lol, and its still too cold to do any painting or bondo work even with a heater in my shop lol. shop isn't insulated for mid thirty weather lol

I've found that even in the 30 deg weather here aluminumfoil inside of a small box with a heater in it works qwite well. Just make sure that the lid doesnt fall down and crush your stuff....:(

So i didnt get as much work done as i would have liked to because of the rain here in the great state of depression....i mean...Washington. However i did get enough done to make myself feel like i accomplished my task for the day. Here they are:

TWINS!!!! peped, resined and waiting for bondo and primer tomorrow
004-1.jpg

And... My helmet is back into working order again with its second coat of resin on the "cheeks-down" section.
005.jpg

Going to apply the last coat of resin tomorrow, resin the chest tomorrow, fill the handplates with bondo, and get the first coat of primer on them as well. Wish me luck, as i will need it. <----non of this happened today

so glad the helmet pulled back out man. thats awesome! it looks like nothing happened at all to it.

well to the naked eye it appears so but i can tell thanks to my trusty measuring tape...1/16th of an inch off and its driving me insane! Oh well at least i dont have to rebuild it....unless it just bugs me that much.

well to the naked eye it appears so but i can tell thanks to my trusty measuring tape...1/16th of an inch off and its driving me insane! Oh well at least i dont have to rebuild it....unless it just bugs me that much.

With something that small, you should be able to take care of it in the bondo stage easily. Glad to see you didn't have to start all over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back