Tigersgrace's MKV WIP! Now with FOAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty surprised that pulling the helm back out worked, seriously. Congrats, that just saved a ton of time. Most cosmetic issues can be fixed after the fact with bondo, and to be honest, nobody is going to look at you wearing the whole suit and even notice the little imperfections you're seeing right now as you build it.

Keep it up!

I cant believe you were able to make that helmet look like nothing happened. If it would of happened to me I would have ended up just starting over.

I'm pretty surprised that pulling the helm back out worked, seriously. Congrats, that just saved a ton of time. Most cosmetic issues can be fixed after the fact with bondo, and to be honest, nobody is going to look at you wearing the whole suit and even notice the little imperfections you're seeing right now as you build it.

Keep it up!

Thanks, daviduffy; I'm not going to lie i was VEEERRYY scepticle myself, but with some time and patience it woeked out. As far as the little nuances that are still there, i know they're there and thats what kills me. I know that no one else will even notice 1/16" but the fact that its there drives me crazy.

I cant believe you were able to make that helmet look like nothing happened. If it would of happened to me I would have ended up just starting over.

Thanks spartan IV, I almost did start over; and if it hadnt been for Spartansonny, i would have. probablt the most discouraging thing thats happened so far with this build.

amazing job on the repairs of that helmet. The little imperfections do not show on the photo, but i know the feeling of knowing that they are there ;)
How are going to attatch the wrist plates to the undersuit, velcro?

amazing job on the repairs of that helmet. The little imperfections do not show on the photo, but i know the feeling of knowing that they are there ;)
How are going to attatch the wrist plates to the undersuit, velcro?

Thanks merandil. You guessed right about the hand plates. I have access to mil strength velcro for next to no cost and so i think it will work out nicely on the back of a pair of gloves

So today's update isnt the biggest; but its a huge milestone for me....the first time that i have ever used bondo! I just decided that, as a test run, I should do something smaller. Here's what i got.

I filled the inside of the handplate with bondo and let it cure to see what imperfections there would be; and man are there a lot

handplatebondo.jpg

Then to see what imperfections were on the outside(the visible side) i did a quick once over with some primer. there are some nicks here and there but nothing that i cant fix with some sandpaper.

handplateprimer.jpg

next time you try to strengthen the inside tiger make rondo (mixture of resin and bondo) it flows and fills nicely. i usually mix it however i feel it should be as far as consistency goes. need it to flow more use more resin, need it thicker use more bondo than resin. this saves you from sanding the insides of your armor since you will be doing a bunch of sanding outside of it already. it looks good though! Good job starting on the small parts too btw

next time you try to strengthen the inside tiger make rondo (mixture of resin and bondo) it flows and fills nicely. i usually mix it however i feel it should be as far as consistency goes. need it to flow more use more resin, need it thicker use more bondo than resin. this saves you from sanding the insides of your armor since you will be doing a bunch of sanding outside of it already. it looks good though! Good job starting on the small parts too btw

thanks sonny i was actually going to do the other handplate with rondo, just a 50/50 mix and see what i could come out with. that bondo is pretty rough but in the reallt rough parts it didnt make it to the brim of the piece so it should be able to be filled in again to help.

Update time!!!!!

I ran out of materials to keep doing the resin and the glassing of the other pieces and have to wait till payday to start doing that again. So, in the meantime, I have started a little side project. The BR55; and here it is.

battlerifleoverall1.jpg

battlerifleoverall3.jpg

battlerifleoverall4.jpg

battlerifleoverall5.jpg

If anyone has some advice about how to really finish this BR after all of the cardboard is placed on it would be really helpful. I was thinking about bondoing the outside and thanks to Sara even resining it. I havent done a sliced rifle before, so i really have no idea what to do.

Thanks for looking in.

Yep, I'd harden it just like any other piece. Apply a coat or two of resin to seal the paper (just like a pep model) then apply bondo and shape to your liking. Good start though!

Yep, I'd harden it just like any other piece. Apply a coat or two of resin to seal the paper (just like a pep model) then apply bondo and shape to your liking. Good start though!

Halex beat me to it. . . But like he said. . . just use bondo and resin to do the detailing and make it look how you want it to.
Definitely off to a good start with the BR. Keep it up.

Oh! I'm sure that by now you've been pinned and hammered so Congrats on the promotion to E5. :cool

Thanks Halex, I will definatly do that then. The side detail and the mag detail is going to be added on in that process.

Halex beat me to it. . . But like he said. . . just use bondo and resin to do the detailing and make it look how you want it to.
Definitely off to a good start with the BR. Keep it up.

Oh! I'm sure that by now you've been pinned and hammered so Congrats on the promotion to E5. :cool

Spartan, they had the NCO induction ceremony ( the first one i've ever been to) to pin us and it was like 3 hrs long....then we got pinned....BEST DAY EVER!!!

Smallish update!

So i've been wrking on a few side projects to the suit while i wait for the funds and the weather to catch up. Fiberglassing the helmet should be happening tomorrow; but for today I have some pics of th BR and Magnum that i've been working on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the card board and I think " O that's nice". I see the working slide and my mind is blown, great job there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back