Tigersgrace's MKV WIP! Now with FOAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand on how your only working on your helmet. When I started my suit I planned to do every part in stages rather than completing one then going on to the next. Unfortunately the only supplies I have right now are bondo, paint, and sand paper. This has led me to focus my attention on my helmet to see what one piece looks like finished with paint.

It is funny how it all works out. I had planned to keep all of the pieces on the same level and now i have a bunch of paper sitting in my closet, and one almost complete helmet. Cant wait to have at least one piece complete though....thats what is driving me to continue right now.

Hey. We'll take it one part at a time. :p
When I did my son's suit, I pepped everything like you're talking about. Then, I tried to keep everything in the same stage so I made sure that I was on the same page with everything. It's a hassle sometimes to do that and can make you feel overwhelmed to a degree. You can also miss details on other parts. Knowing what I know now, I think it's probably best to do one part at a time and see it through before moving on to the next piece. That way you can put everything into what you're working on and when you move on, there's nothing left to do on the last one. :p
Either way, the work is looking good on your end. Keep it up.

Hey. We'll take it one part at a time. :p
When I did my son's suit, I pepped everything like you're talking about. Then, I tried to keep everything in the same stage so I made sure that I was on the same page with everything. It's a hassle sometimes to do that and can make you feel overwhelmed to a degree. You can also miss details on other parts. Knowing what I know now, I think it's probably best to do one part at a time and see it through before moving on to the next piece. That way you can put everything into what you're working on and when you move on, there's nothing left to do on the last one. :p
Either way, the work is looking good on your end. Keep it up.

Thanks for the encouragement Spartan, i know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed, even the pep process on all of those pieces felt like a lot to take on all at once. Your son's suit is amazing btw and i take it as a huge compliment that you think my work is even remotly good.
Its all looking good brother! Keep up the good work!

Thanks ISU....its gonna be a long strange trip getting this thing done.

Missed the helm update while I was away... lookin' good! Rather than keeping everything on the same step, I've found myself at the mercy of the weather more than anything else. Far easier to pep while it's raining than to paint when the work area is outside!

Missed the helm update while I was away... lookin' good! Rather than keeping everything on the same step, I've found myself at the mercy of the weather more than anything else. Far easier to pep while it's raining than to paint when the work area is outside!

Thanks! My bondo work could use some refinement, though. I definatly get that one being in WA its raining all the time. The good news is that when the weather gets worse again i'm going to finish peping the lower body

Update time!!

So after seeing some of the builds that people have done with foam, and learning how to turn regular pep files into a foam template of sorts; I figured that I would give it a try.
Here's what i have so far. MKV left forearm.
FoamLeftarm1.jpg

FoamLeftarm3.jpg

FoamLeftarm2.jpg

I know its not the most beautiful of workmanship, but I figured that those lines could be hidden with foamies and then it will look better. The main thing, in my mind, is that it fits and it looks like the 3D model that i was looking at.

As always, thanks for looking in.

P.S.
I would really like to thank Roxyroo, and DBmike for their tuts and the inspiration to start working with foam.

If you're going to use craft foam to make all the details, I don't see a thing wrong with the forearm base. Like you said. . . It fits. :p
Craft foam will cover up a lot of imperfections on the joints of the foam. You could also use silicone caulking or something like it to help out if one of the gaps would be exposed after putting on craft foam.
Looks like your progressing nicely.
Keep up the good work! :cool

If you're going to use craft foam to make all the details, I don't see a thing wrong with the forearm base. Like you said. . . It fits. :p
Craft foam will cover up a lot of imperfections on the joints of the foam. You could also use silicone caulking or something like it to help out if one of the gaps would be exposed after putting on craft foam.
Looks like your progressing nicely.
Keep up the good work! :cool
the plan was to make a kind of sleeve for the entire outside with lets say white foam and then use another color to add some smaller details

I would really like to thank Roxyroo, and DBmike for their tuts and the inspiration to start working with foam.

Your most welcome on my part and not a bad beginning for your foam work.
As spartan127 said and as you probably saw in my 2nd video the use of silicone is a great way to fill in the gaps. As long as you don't have any massively raised edges on those joins you could probably use silicone and get away with it :)

Your most welcome on my part and not a bad beginning for your foam work.
As spartan127 said and as you probably saw in my 2nd video the use of silicone is a great way to fill in the gaps. As long as you don't have any massively raised edges on those joins you could probably use silicone and get away with it :)

Thanks DB, I will definatly try that if the sleeve idea that i have doesnt work.

Update time!!

So i havent gotten a lot of work done on the rest of the suit but i have gotten the forearms to the point where all they need is plasti-dipped and painted. Unfortulatly I only have one Pic of the forearms and the left one(green) has the, not yet finished in the pic, data pad attachment on it. I will be editing this post with more pics when i take them.

2013-02-27154752.jpg

As I said , I will edit with more pics when I take them.

As always, thanks for looking in!

I do love the old MK V armor and i must say i can't wait to c more updats of your helm, your making some brilliant progress with your armor

foamies work nice for filling seams, but i like to use lightweight Spackle to fill the gaps. it works really well and is easy to sand.

Hey everyone, I know that this thread is all but dead but I wanted to give my last update to this post. I now will be building a MKVI suit with foam. Thank you all for your support in this project, I hope to have your continued support with the MKVI as well. It will be posted in the next few days. Thanks, Tigersgrace.

Will you be making the MKVI helmet from foam ? I've not long started making MKVI helmet 50% done with the pep

I have already made the helm with foam and am putting the final touches on it now. Its about 90% done. just need to put some foamies on it so that the "weird"/bad spots are covered, plastidip and paint and it will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back