Timmy helmet wip and fibreglasding/casting tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDashIVXx

Sr Member
Before I start, I would like to thank perniciousduke. He has greatly helped me through this project so far, and put up with me. I would also like to thank Chernobyl. We all miss you and you have heavily impacted this community, and you still do everyday. Thank you for modeling this helmet for me, and all the other files you have provided to this wonderful community. You are amazing and I hope you never stop pursuing you passion and being yourself.

Now onto the build. This is going to walkthrough making this helmet, and will also show the process I went through so I can help those that have never done this process, like my self, and would like to try it.

I started out with printing 21 pieces of cardstock paper out, and individually cutting out every piece. There where close to 90 in total, and I liked to use scissors, but an exact knife seemed to work fine. I preferred the scissors because I thought it was somewhat faster and I didn't have to worry with my hand slipping.

This game me PTSD and reminded me why I hate pepakura. Cant believe this was fun in first grade 20181121_102008.jpg

Before gluing the pieces, I recommend tracing over the fold lines with a pen so there are little "ravines" to fold on making it easier and cleaner. Then you align up the tabs and glue them together. I found there are a lot of people that prefer super glue gel, but I just had the regular stuff so j am just going to have to get used to the stuff all over my fingers.

So I was going to continue with this project and wait to post this thread so I was further in, but I screwed up... I thought I measured my fat noggin correctly and put in the correct measurements, but it ended up being way too big. Like, 1 to 1 scale big... I wanted to keep working on it and hoped it was just fanning out, so when I finished it would be small, but nope. Maybe I'llfinish it and send it to the 343 museum or something... I don't know... 20181123_160411(0).jpg20181123_160429.jpg

I may just wait till next week for a new update on this. Was hoping to get it resigned this weekend, but we will see if I am game to start making another one tomorow... I'm kindof disappointed, but at least I'm in the dirt dives club now!

So...

A whale helmet...

That's a real thing, apparently...

Cook, bro, keep us posted!
Well that’s Halo 5 for ya! Guess it’s a rare helmet. Don’t remember the requirements to get it. This is the first attempt I’ve seen at this one.
xXDashIVXx pep came out good. Hopefully you can find it in yourself to make another. I know I pepped one helmet and the scale was wrong. I never pepped another:(

Well that’s Halo 5 for ya! Guess it’s a rare helmet. Don’t remember the requirements to get it. This is the first attempt I’ve seen at this one.
xXDashIVXx pep came out good. Hopefully you can find it in yourself to make another. I know I pepped one helmet and the scale was wrong. I never pepped another:(
I'm sure I'll get to it soon. It's a funny experience but I'll do it. How you get the helmet is 50 hours in custom games... I think I have over 10 days worth in halo 5 alone... wish you got up from customs Cruz I woulda been max rank several times. You can only get the olive helmet from getting your forge map into custom games... I may work on that Next/instead bet we will see :)

I'm sure I'll get to it soon. It's a funny experience but I'll do it. How you get the helmet is 50 hours in custom games... I think I have over 10 days worth in halo 5 alone... wish you got up from customs Cruz I woulda been max rank several times. You can only get the olive helmet from getting your forge map into custom games... I may work on that Next/instead bet we will see :)
Cool, I do remember it somehow being related to forge one way or another. Guess I won’t be earning my Timmy helmet anytime soon. I’m not much for custom games. About 5 hrs amidst my 12 days of arena and 6 days of war zone.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I am back with an update, and I hope you have all had a very merry christmas! I finally finished my second timmy helmet, and it took forever, but looks really good and I am happy! It may be a tiny pit small, maybe should have made it 5mm bigger, but it works good.
20181229_114702.jpg

Here is a picture with the new helmet INSIDE the old one...
20181229_114759.jpg

Some things I would recommend for the pepakura process, now that I have a little more experiance, is work from the small peices first, making those perfect, then attaching those to the big ones. That way your outcome is cleaner, and you dont have as much of a hassle attatching them to the whole helmet. Also, TAKE YOUR TIME. the slower and more perfect you make it, and the better your paper edges line up with the lines, the better your peice will end up looking and less work to be done later. Scoring is a mandatory, even if you dont think you have to. Run a knife(dont kit through, only the very top layer of paper) that isnt too sharp, or the pen technique or anything else. Dont fold the fold lines fyi hand, and make sure you do them all. It will really help your work.
20181229_121611.jpg

The items I used on this project were bondo automotive fiberglass resin, bondo fibreglass, a lot of cheap disposable paintbrushes from the dollar store, popsicle sticks, plastic cups, a scale, something to hold up the helmet, and a cloth to not ruin the surface you are working on. Please wear a resperator, not the cheap white ones, but one that will filter out the fumds released by the resin.ngive me until the next post and I will show you the one I use... It is pretty cheap, automotive grade, and i cant smell a thing :)
Also make sure you are wearing work clothes that can get ruined and some disposable gloves(blue nitrile are great). You dont want this stuff getting on you.

So for this process I started with resining the outside of the helmet. You want to put enough on it so the helmet only has a "wet" look to it. I also recommend only working with an ounce of resin at a time. The can says use and ounce and 10 drops of the hardener. I then stirred it up with the popsicle stick. Make sure to get the walls and floor of the cup scraped and stirred so you dont miss anything. Then spread it with the brushes. Try to not let the resin pool up in any of the detailed spots, and give it a nice even coating. Now do the same for the inside. I gave the inside two coats. And had it be a little thicker, to a "runny" and snoty consistancy. Then I cut lots of fibreglass squares, a little bit smaller than my hand. I applied a little bit of resin in the place I wanted the mat to be so it would stick, and then patted the mat down with more resin until it was covered and stuck in place. I then covered the rest of the helmet, making sure the fabric overlapped a little bit on the edges of the pieces.
20181230_093842.jpg
now onto rondo. I am not going into the details of this, but I mixed about an ounce and a half of resin with about an equal part of bondo, and then added the two gardeners, and did more mixing. Then poured it into the low/hard to get parts and sloshed it around the inside. Here is a great tutorial on this.
Rondo: A Photo Guided Tutorial
I am going to wait, as for it still hasn't dried yet and it took 2 hours to dry inbetween resin coats, but I am probably not going to rondo the outside, and just only use the bondo, unless it is recommended otherwise. I am also not going to be wearing this helmet as I am going to cast it, so i didn't add extra fibreglass or anything. Feel free to recommend tips, or things I missed/messed up on! I'm so excited and cant wait to get this project done!

Attachments

• 20181230_094009.jpg
    20181230_094009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
Wow Dash! You did a great job. I love the improvement in pepping skills between the first and second pep. It's annoying to have to redo, but it wasn't wasted. The skills you learned and used in the second attempt really make a difference. I'm very pleased I got to help. Happy building! :)

It's been a while but here is an update. I didnt want to post as I wanted to make a lot more progress than I did, and was hoping it would look better by the time I posted, but maybe someone could point things out to improve or give me tips.
20190204_081039.jpg

It looks pretty rough(in both contexts), but the top area of the visor is surprisingly smooth. My problem is I think I added WAY too much bondo, so I have alot of extra sanding to do. How much should I sand? I have been trying to get as far down to the pep itself so it has a good shape, without sanding the paper, but should I leave certain thickness?

There's no pre- determined thickness, no. What you're looking for is a smooth surface when you're done.

From your picture it looks like you need a little more work, be it bondo or Samsung or both, but it looks like it's coming along. I see that as a work in progress, sure, but it's looking really good. Just be sure to fill in the scratches with filler where needed and sand down where needed. It's a long process.

Update: I have made really good progress over the past couple of months and it is definatly getting there, but I need your help...

The helmet still needs work in a few spots, but it is getting pretty close to mostly done. The only problem is that I feel like I am no longer making progress. I want to finish the helmet before I start adding the detail, but there are some spots that arent coming out as great as I would like. I dont understand how people make their cast so great, where I am at a point where I feel like I am making very minimal progression and just waiting tons of time. I am at a point where I feel like I want to get it as perfect as humanly possible, but if I keep working on it I will either make it worse, make some progress, or i am getting nothing done and am on a wild goose chase. I sand and bondo and sand and bondo and sand but It isnt getting there and I dont know why.

I want it to be perfect so I will be happy with the outcome, and when I cast it, others may feel the same enjoyment aswell, but there are some places that just wont fix. Granted you cant see these areas unless you look at them from the right angle, but it is still there.
20190710_120910.jpg

Take the tail for example (ignore the shape of the neck hole, this will be cut out of the helmet as it is a padding in the ingame design). From any other angle it looks great, but from here it looks like the tips are slightly at an angle, and the left side of the base sticks out and doesnt have as nice of a curve as the right side. I have done this part alone atleast three times, and it is also a similar situation with areas that are on the opposite sides of the helmet where you cant see it unless you look from the right angle, but maybe a curve isnt exactly the same as the other side. Do you have any recommendations?

I just want to know how all the professionals get everything perfectly symmetrical, or do they get it as good as they can and noone else notices or bothers to complain because if is still great quality.

Cant wait till I get a 3d printer and everything will print so much cleaner than I can get with my stubby hands...

Also does anyone know how Sean Bradley makes his odst visors? I am assuming it is dyed like in the punished props sweeper bot build with a light chrome spraypaint coat on theninside.

Update: I have made really good progress over the past couple of months and it is definatly getting there, but I need your help...

The helmet still needs work in a few spots, but it is getting pretty close to mostly done. The only problem is that I feel like I am no longer making progress. I want to finish the helmet before I start adding the detail, but there are some spots that arent coming out as great as I would like. I dont understand how people make their cast so great, where I am at a point where I feel like I am making very minimal progression and just waiting tons of time. I am at a point where I feel like I want to get it as perfect as humanly possible, but if I keep working on it I will either make it worse, make some progress, or i am getting nothing done and am on a wild goose chase. I sand and bondo and sand and bondo and sand but It isnt getting there and I dont know why.

I want it to be perfect so I will be happy with the outcome, and when I cast it, others may feel the same enjoyment aswell, but there are some places that just wont fix. Granted you cant see these areas unless you look at them from the right angle, but it is still there. View attachment 273553

Take the tail for example (ignore the shape of the neck hole, this will be cut out of the helmet as it is a padding in the ingame design). From any other angle it looks great, but from here it looks like the tips are slightly at an angle, and the left side of the base sticks out and doesnt have as nice of a curve as the right side. I have done this part alone atleast three times, and it is also a similar situation with areas that are on the opposite sides of the helmet where you cant see it unless you look from the right angle, but maybe a curve isnt exactly the same as the other side. Do you have any recommendations?

I just want to know how all the professionals get everything perfectly symmetrical, or do they get it as good as they can and noone else notices or bothers to complain because if is still great quality.

Cant wait till I get a 3d printer and everything will print so much cleaner than I can get with my stubby hands...
Looks to me like you’ve gotten it pretty close. Maybe just little more sanding in the BLUE section?
1FD1761E-BE5D-468D-BA2B-E3410C57A2A2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back