Tips On Attending Comic Con In Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrisan

Hey everyone. In a few weeks I will be attending San Diego Comic-Con for the first time, I will be attending on the last day- Sunday, July 26th . I've never been to a convention so I'm not sure how it will be like. I'm just worried about the heat in my armor and being in it all day long, I doubt I'll be able to change out of it once I'm there.

-Will it get too hot inside the convention center with my armor? Will a fan be enough? (by the way if anyone wants to sell me a kit, PM me).

-How early should I arrive so we can get our badges to get in?

-I will probably be carrying around an AR and I bet it will get heavy after a while, I also want to take pictures and record with my video camera occasionally so any tips how I can take the AR but let my hands free every once in a while? Has anyone put a strap on their AR?

-Or should I just take a smaller weapon? (Anyone have something cheap they would trade for?)

-Am I allowed into the special panels where tv and film stars are talking with my armor on? How early should I line up for those?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of concealing a small bag into my chest piece so I can store any purchased items and such (I heard they usually run out of bags by the last day). Thanks!

Enrisan said:
Hey everyone. In a few weeks I will be attending San Diego Comic-Con for the first time, I will be attending on the last day- Sunday, July 26th . I've never been to a convention so I'm not sure how it will be like. I'm just worried about the heat in my armor and being in it all day long, I doubt I'll be able to change out of it once I'm there.

-Will it get too hot inside the convention center with my armor? Will a fan be enough? (by the way if anyone wants to sell me a kit, PM me).

-I will probably be carrying around an AR and I bet it will get heavy after a while, I also want to take pictures and record with my video camera occasionally so any tips how I can take the AR but let my hands free every once in a while? Has anyone put a strap on their AR?

-Or should I just take a smaller weapon? (Anyone have something cheap they would trade for?)

-Am I allowed into the special panels where tv and film stars are talking with my armor on? How early should I line up for those?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of concealing a small bag into my chest piece so I can store any purchased items and such (I heard they usually run out of bags by the last day). Thanks!

You will be hot, even with a fan, but not unbearably so. Convention venues have A/C so that helps. You can wear armor for several hours at a time without much trouble, but a few small breaks of taking off the helmet will be best. I'm sure you will sweat a ton but that's just how armor goes ;)

Not sure about this one...I'm not from around there! Might be good to look online for other locals or call the center directly. With big cons there are a lot of repeat fans and veterans.

I carried around a big old sniper rifle and it worked out ok. Granted, I had a buddy to help me. Having a 'handler' is the best thing imaginable. If something falls off your suit, you need something held, or a picture taken...you got a helper. If you don't have a handler, I'd opt for just a pistol or something you could sling on your back or over your shoulder.

They may ask you to take the helmet off for security reasons. As far as times, again, I would call to make sure. I've found that people working the floors can be strangely unhelpful or confused (overwhelmed?) during a convention.

Sorry I don't have any specific advice...I'm an east coaster hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back