To Cut Or Not To Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vshore100

Member DIN
S091
I am currently pepping my Iron Man helmet(by dung beetle ver.2) and was wondering if I should go ahead and cut the eyes out after I am done with the pep work or wait till after all the resin and fiberglass work is done? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :unsure

to cut or not to cut, that is the question.

cut out the eyes after and rienforce the eyes with some card board underneath the paper so they match up.

good luck! :)

Keep 'em till you've gotten the first layer of glass and resin down. Then, cut them out, and apply any further layers, or not. They're there to support the model and prevent it from warping too much when it's being resined and glassed.

You don't even need an application to the eyes, just on their edges. I did that with my ODST helmet (Only got excess resin on the edges of the visor), and it's only got one warped spot: the ear. And that's totally unrelated. Leave it be, for now.

Keep them in place. You can add your resin and once the paper seems sturdy enough, you can remove the eye pieces THEN you can fiberglass.

do you guys have any tips to cutting out the eye pieces? it might be difficult using scissors, so I'd assume you use some sort of power cutting tool?

do you guys have any tips to cutting out the eye pieces? it might be difficult using scissors, so I'd assume you use some sort of power cutting tool?

A dremel tool is a modeler's best friend. If you don't have access to a dremel, then I would suggest drilling a small hole and using a small saw blade (cheap at craft stores) to cut the eye out. But seriously, a dremel would make quick work of this.

Thanks alot for the info. It seems pretty unanomous, I'll leave em in. Another question I had was where do I support the helmet on the inside? Do I just brace it with cardboard in various spots? Does anyone have any pictures of how they supported theirs? Thanks again for the info and help! :D

carpathiavh99 said:
A dremel tool is a modeler's best friend. If you don't have access to a dremel, then I would suggest drilling a small hole and using a small saw blade (cheap at craft stores) to cut the eye out. But seriously, a dremel would make quick work of this.

A question on the dremel. I've used a cutting wheel in the past, but for something as small as the eye slits on an Iron Man helmet, what would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
elkrisp said:
A question on the dremel. I've used a cutting wheel in the past, but for something as small as the eye slits on an Iron Man helmet, what would you recommend?

Use a small bit, drill guide holes in the corners, then score with an exacto. A small cutting bit might work, but you have to be CAREFUL!

If you're just cutting through resined cardstock I would go with an exacto knife as well.. The dremel might be a little overkill on the paper and you need a steady hand to work in such a small area as the eye slits

carlino said:
If you're just cutting through resined cardstock I would go with an exacto knife as well.. The dremel might be a little overkill on the paper and you need a steady hand to work in such a small area as the eye slits

what would be a good way to go about this? would you want to score it across over and over until it comes off? or make a huge incision in the beginning, and then cut it off using a sawing motion?

Boba Fett said:
Use a small bit, drill guide holes in the corners, then score with an exacto. A small cutting bit might work, but you have to be CAREFUL!

What would you recommend for detailing, post-fiberglass?

That small cutting bit?

For example: The recessed detail lines on the Mjolnir Mark VI.

I've seen people use the engraving tool for a dremel for adding in detailed lines. Also some people use small files and work it that way

Cool elkrisp, no problem. I needed to know that answer too just didn't ask it yet, you got it out of the way for me! Thanks for comments and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back