Torrent/illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerjericho

Jr Member
I am getting just a few animations from a certain person halfway around the world. However, I have discovered he acquired his animation software via torrents (3DS Max). The kid's 15. So I don't know.

If I use animations he has made, am I liable? Or should I just sever ties now?

Mod's input is greatly appreciated.

I'm not totally sure, but, seeing as you don't have the program illegally, you should be fine.

Not 100% sure, so don't take it as truth.

Don't touch it. Personally, I find them to be poor-quality with less support... however, if you want to risk it.

do you have the software installed on your machine? if not, you're fine.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
I'm not totally sure, but, seeing as you don't have the program illegally, you should be fine.

Not 100% sure, so don't take it as truth.

...I think I've discovered why kids my age have all these programs I don't.

I'm legal with everything I do. Ha!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
jericho said:
...I think I've discovered why kids my age have all these programs I don't.

I'm legal with everything I do. Ha!

Thanks.

Yeah, bad part is, a lot of them do not realize the trouble you can get into, either...

Adam said:
do you have the software installed on your machine? if not, you're fine.

No no... I couldn't ever bring myself to do stuff like that : | Blasted conscience. However I plan on using the animations in my film for like his motion tracking and stuff. Would that be worthy for guilt by association?

I wouldn't do it, but the question is can you get the animations from somewhere else? And also, how good is this kid? If he's good, may be justifiable, if not, it's just piracy for no reason.

Open source goes a long way now. In all of my projects (films, podcasts, 3d models & animation, programming, website) I've always been able to do it with a commercial video editing software (e.g. Ulead, Avid Free DV, any any other rubbish products you get with video cameras) and open source.

Blender. SharpDevelop. Audacity. VirtualDub. Paint.NET. The GIMP and Inkscape (I loath both and used Paint Shop Pro 7, got it free in some PC magazine).

That being said, it's difficult to beat pro products like Adobe oder 3ds max, but then we're hobbyists, right? and we sort of don't need pro stuff.

TF_Productions said:
I wouldn't do it, but the question is can you get the animations from somewhere else? And also, how good is this kid? If he's good, may be justifiable, if not, it's just piracy for no reason.

That said, open source goes a long way now. In all of my projects (films, podcasts, 3d models & animation, programming, website) I've always been able to do it with a commercial video editing software (e.g. Ulead, Avid Free DV, any any other rubbish products you get with video cameras) and open source.

Blender. SharpDevelop. Audacity. VirtualDub. Paint.NET. The GIMP and Inkscape (that being said, I loath both and used Paint Shop Pro 7, got it free in some PC magazine).

That being said, it's difficult to beat pro products like Adobe oder 3ds max, but then we're hobbyists, right? and we sort of don't need pro stuff.

Yeah, all of my programs are open source now. I tried the demo of Photoshop, but I just felt I wouldn't use it well enough or frequently enough to shell out the money (plus I don't have it anyhow), so I stuck with Paint.NET.

Open source will take you far if you don't want to trust this kid. It'll take more time than with a Professional program, but I think having extra money in your pocket for your armor is better! :p

EDIT: Thanks for posting that link to SharpDevelop, I've been looking forever for that very program but I couldn't remember the name, xD

If you don't have the illegal software on your computer, then you are fine. You can have all the animations you want, done by anyone and you can't be held responsible for what they have on their system. Relax, if you enjoy the work he does, download it. Not a problem at all. Don't think personally that you should support pirates by doing it but to each his own.

If the police asks you 'did you know that the animations where done using an illegal software?'
You cannot be held resposible, because they cant prove that you knew that the stuff the guy made, was made by illegal software.

Now that you made this threat though... They can haz evidence.
Allthough, you still cant get screwed up.

-FSS

Finnish_Spartan said:
If the police asks you 'did you know that the animations where done using an illegal software?'
Yeah, because that's likely :lol:

I think it's not a legal issue, it's a moral issue.

@Seno 'Ypsamee: Yeah, SharpDevelop is almost as good as VisualStudio, I haven't missed much. Just don't get too hooked on programming ;)

TF_Productions said:
Yeah, because that's likely :lol:
Yeah, highly 'likely' :lol:
I mean, they are actually never going to ask you, but if they do... Just remember what i said.

-FSS

If I can add my input on the quality of torrented programs such as 3dsMax...

My friend downloaded it on his computer (he's a download junkie, his hard drive is filled with downloaded games and stuff, plus anything he needs to unlock ISO's and stuff) and it works perfectly fine (he sucks at max, I tested it for him), so quality won't be an issue here. It really is a moral issue of would you be able to live with knowing that the animations aren't made by a legal program.

If you absolutely cannot live with that, then someone on these forums can probably help you with it. Try asking around, maybe?

Bloodl3tt3r said:
My friend downloaded it on his computer (he's a download junkie, his hard drive is filled with downloaded games and stuff, plus anything he needs to unlock ISO's and stuff) and it works perfectly fine (he sucks at max, I tested it for him), so quality won't be an issue here.
You said he sucked at max, so how can the quality of what he's producing not be an issue? The point is, a good program doesn't make something good. That's what I was trying to say.

TF_Productions said:
You said he sucked at max, so how can the quality of what he's producing not be an issue? The point is, a good program doesn't make something good. That's what I was trying to say.

Exactly.

I've seen people with 3DS Max (legally for school) and people with an open source program like Blender.

One person with 3DS Max, who had just gotten it about a month before, was trying to tell my friend with Blender that his stuff was better because it was made with a Professional program. Needless to say, my friend, with about a year experience, couldn't work 3DS Max too well when he tried to prove the kid wrong, but blew him out of the water while he used Blender and the other kid used 3DS Max.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no point in pirating, because with tons of open source programs, while not as good as the Pro stuff, you can find something to do almost the exact same stuff. And, to add on to TF's post, saying you're better than someone because you have a licensed (or non-licensed) program is like telling someone you are better than them because your cloths cost more than theirs did, but in the end, it all turns out to be the same exact thing, only one might be a little more 'fashionable.'

Although I find Blender much more annoying to use than 3Ds max...

That being said, this is the way I see it. I have a tendancy to over-simplify things in my life, so you may not agree.

It was his choice to download the pirated software. If he's good with it, it wasn't that bad a choice. If he's giving you good material that he made with pirated software.....who cares? If the quality is good, it shouldn't matter. His legal issues are his own issues.

If I liked the files I'd use them. I didn't do anything wrong, except for using the files of someone who does not legally own the program. Then again, it all depends on how I was using the files. If they were for something I planned to use commercially (like a game or something), then I might not, but if I'm not out to make money, then I really don't see a problem in using them.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
If I liked the files I'd use them. I didn't do anything wrong, except for using the files of someone who does not legally own the program. Then again, it all depends on how I was using the files. If they were for something I planned to use commercially (like a game or something), then I might not, but if I'm not out to make money, then I really don't see a problem in using them.

Adam said it was fine. And since this is Halo-themed, of course I am not out to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back