Trickdog's Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtrickdog

Before we start...let me introduce myself.<ul>[*]I'm 15.[*]I program PC games as a hobby[*]I currently am a leader for a game design team[*]I got interested in vacuum forming last year[*]I made clay Stormtrooper helmet along with vacuum table[*]I ran out of money and could not afford any more plastic/clay[*]I saw Tastybread's armor on Digg while googling "Master chief costume tutorial"[*]I learned how to do cardboard armor[*]I found this website & registered[*]I posted this topic....[/list] My armor is going to be cardboard possibly backed with resin/fiberglass if my step dad doesn't kill me. I printed up the helmet in Pepakura, taped it together (glue is annoying), took some cardboard behind a grocery store right down the street, and cut shapes to tape on to the Pep paper helmet. I then started the "Hip" piece and the scaling was off. I had to redo it and finished tonight and added cardboard. I also cut out the chest armor pieces and might put them together tomorrow.

it looks better further away like most cardboard armors:

as you can see clearly here, i left the paper in.

I tried to add depth in mid piece. looks good i guess. it looks like the right air intake vent is smaller but it isn't its just that the face of that piece is made of 2 pieces of cardboard.

pretty good for card board i suggest u add details and paint it resin isnt necessary for cardboard so ur ok without it

thanks for quick comment. what kind of detail you recommend? Don't worry I'm going to paint. Resin wont be needed with cardboard? For sure I am coating the outside with bondo or some other brand so it turns out smooth. Heres Hip piece:

too bad the flash makes it look Horrible! the tape no where near shines that bright and the armor looks GOOD! In daylight ill give good picture to bring out its looks!

Looks good man. The one thing I worry about it card board though its sturdy looks as if it will deform easily. :(

Remira said:
Looks good man. The one thing I worry about it card board though its sturdy looks as if it will deform easily. :(
deform because of the small pieces? thats why i thought a coat of resin might help. but i don't know i need more opinions!
thanks for comment.
oh and if your talking about the gaps...those will be filled with bondo! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
lightly resin the outside and inside, if it rains or it gets wet, the armor will fall apart on you, 1 can of 12 dolalr resin should cover the etire armor with 1 light water proof coat.

I agree with Frist here, if you don't plan to bulk it up with fiberglass... a coat of resin all over to seal it against water absorbtion, in case it were to rain... but don't try swimming in it, even with resin, cause water finds a way... if it can make the grand canyon, it can find a way into your cardboard...

Looking good so far, also, just a friendly painters reminder, a layer of resin, lightly sanded will help hide the tape, cause if you don't, every piece of tape on the outside will be shown in the paint as funny little rectangles around the edge...

thanks for comments. ok resin sounds like a good idea. even though i live in california...it rains randomly!

Spase said:
I agree with Frist here, if you don't plan to bulk it up with fiberglass... a coat of resin all over to seal it against water absorbtion, in case it were to rain... but don't try swimming in it, even with resin, cause water finds a way... if it can make the grand canyon, it can find a way into your cardboard...

Looking good so far, also, just a friendly painters reminder, a layer of resin, lightly sanded will help hide the tape, cause if you don't, every piece of tape on the outside will be shown in the paint as funny little rectangles around the edge...
i dont plan on doing strokes in my armor
yes i was wondering about that. so resin will be the job to hide the tape? should i take a sander to it or just plain sand paper? what grid? thanks.

Its looking really good. If you have the funds and the permission, a single layer of fiberglass even would make it infinately stronger and will help it last quite a bit longer. That being said, Its looking really good!

California is sunny, so your in luck, just set out the peices for 1-2 hours after you resin them and they should be nice and hard, then painting and all only takes like 30 minutes to do for a few peices, those can be set in your garage or in your house with the window open.

nice bio for a 15 yr old...i wish i started programming when i was younger

not bad at all...keep it up...keep us updated

i'm starting mine today so i'll see how it goes

Resin should do a pretty good job of covering the tape so you wont see it in the paint, it may take 2 layers though, but you will need to give it a light sand when the resin cures before painting... an ecltric sander could work, but a light sanding by hand would also work... I sand with 80 grit, then 180, then 320, but I also use Metal Glaze the smooth my helm, you could probably skip to 180 then 320 if you have resin only...

thanks drgon47! Im pretty sure i have the funds to finish it all seeing that it is cardboard.

AoBfrost its been raining off and on lately...with on and off sun!!! >_<

Lsquared haha yeah i started real young. i know 5 or 6 programming languages. don't worry, you'll see updates every time i do! good luck on your armor and link me to it when you post!

Spase thanks for the tips...how many coats of resin can you do with one can?

i have a question... would i resin/fiberlgass after the bondo or before? how much fiberglass? how much bondo?

btw: when i go to walmart or somewhere..ill get some gloves, and black tight pants or something, but i got shirt (turtle neck). As soon as my step dad lets me...i'm buying a gold visor!
price: $35
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/HS1/hjcshields

He means don't leave it flat and featureless. If you look, you'll see that the MJOLNIR armor has lots of small grooves and shapes, all of which are nearly firmly imprinted into my mind. You need to add these.
For example, If you used the halo 2 pep file, (It looks like you are) look at the back of the head. See the lack of divets on the bottom of the neck that show up in the game? Add them. You may need to look at some picures for reference while doing this, so it can take a while.

About the resin, yes, you need it. Unless you want moisture from the air or even the paint to warp the **** out of that helm, then you'd best coat it in something. I have no experience with resin, but my greater judgement would tell you to resin/ fiberglass first, add detail (possibly using foamies), resin again, then paint.

xalener said:
He means don't leave it flat and featureless. If you look, you'll see that the MJOLNIR armor has lots of small grooves and shapes, all of which are nearly firmly imprinted into my mind. You need to add these.
For example, If you used the halo 2 pep file, (It looks like you are) look at the back of the head. See the lack of divets on the bottom of the neck that show up in the game? Add them. You may need to look at some picures for reference while doing this, so it can take a while.

About the resin, yes, you need it. Unless you want moisture from the air or even the paint to warp the **** out of that helm, then you'd best coat it in something. I have no experience with resin, but my greater judgement would tell you to resin/ fiberglass first, add detail (possibly using foamies), resin again, then paint.

exactly. your helmet wont really look to great without lots of details, and wont last very long at all with resin

djtrickdog said:
thanks drgon47! Im pretty sure i have the funds to finish it all seeing that it is cardboard.

Spase thanks for the tips...how many coats of resin can you do with one can?
i have a question... would i resin/fiberlgass after the bondo or before? how much fiberglass? how much bondo?

I guess I'll chime in since I' just past the fiberglass and doing the body filler portion. I remember paying about 12 bucks for a pint at my local fredmyer's store.. I got a total of 4 pints into my project.. 1 pint was a total waste because I used fiberglass mat instead of the cloth. That stuff sucked up a pint.. The fiberglass cloth was about 6 bucks.. I also did 3 coats of resin, I re-made my left and right calf because the original ones didn't fit after the resin process.. And the first time I mixed too much and it cured.. So, if your careful and use it wisely.. You may need 2 or 3 pints. If your lucky to find a larger size, you should go for the bigger size..

401NEW2.JPG

499NEW2.JPG

ok ill keep that into consideration. if you have any ref pictures for the helm please post while i Google some.

preskewl : thanks man ill remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back