True RC Pelican WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey pure awsomeness! I can help a bit with electronics and physics since I heard you are i trouble with batteries. My question is: what kind of engine are you planning to use? Is it supposed to fly, no? I guess you will use propellers, right?

Hey pure awsomeness! I can help a bit with electronics and physics since I heard you are i trouble with batteries. My question is: what kind of engine are you planning to use? Is it supposed to fly, no? I guess you will use propellers, right?

I was planning on using an EDF jet and having it function like a harrier. Probably use a 110mm EDF engine and running tubes to each wing.

I was planning on using an EDF jet and having it function like a harrier. Probably use a 110mm EDF engine and running tubes to each wing.
Uhmm there's no such thing here in shittaly but do you have values for current absorbing like A / h or power in W?
Exscuse me you are probably still planning to buy some and need a way to calculate what model to choose in therms of lifting power. If it is so, we need the weight of thing to lift and a catalogue of such engines with technical descriptions.

Ok I found this: http://performance-edf.biz/images/SM110-45_20sheet.pdf datasheet is very comprehensive.
Is that what you're planning to buy? Can you point me to the website (if there's one) of the model you choose?

Now that I had my coffee I'm slowly starting to use my brain: you will need the RC apparatus (which could be a small thing on the Pelican) but also an engine controller that has to be a really smart thing composed of many elements also called UAV. Have seen already something about that?

Well there isnt one here either but ive seen many harrier they are all home built tho. I know I have to have some relays fer sure Im not too worried about that Im more worried about pushin the correct amount of power to each wing whilst applying the correct movements of the gyros to allow the wings to move so i can control the pelican itself. I did alittle work on it this weekend. I added another coat of fiberglass resin to it and sanded it in some places. Its pretter rough right above the nose but i wasnt able to get aorund to that part. As for W P and other values I can only guestimate. Any assistance will definitely be appreciated.

No panic! Nothing is impossible but, you have to understand that UAV is the direct responsable of what your Pelican is doing, I mean:
jets must receive power controlled by central unit which, not only provides power as you tell it to fly but, also, must keep the pelican on asset so there will be some logic to program into it. Give a look at Sparkfun there you will find anything you'll need.
So the batteries must provide power to the central unit as well as jets in order to lift with a certain power
( Power = Work / Time | Work = Force * Space | Force = Mass * Acceleration ... ) The Mass is the main variable: our mass will be: controller weight + jets weight + batteries weight + Pelican structure weight.
On sparkfun can be found batteries (+ batteries charge control unit) and UAV controllers (usually designer for airplanes but can be programmed for hover jets too) we can have an idea of average weight of both.
About the Pelican structure mass I suggest you to finish everything to have the real thing to put on a scale but, making the artwork keep in mind you will need to fit in it batteries, jets and controller which must be held while hovering and the structure must be solid enough and lightweight as well.
As a matter of facts we gotta deal with some variables:
structure strength, structure mass, jets+batteries+UAV mass and size, batteries power per hour; in your case science cannot be exactly and you will need to make some experiment and take parameters a bit over the average to contemplate the worst cases.
About the batteries, jets and central unit space aboard the Pelican, are you contemplating such?

Yeah I've looked over the structure and so far even with two thin coats of resin there is no warping or anything like that and for its size its still really light. My overall idea of if there will be any weakness or OH **** moments. I really wanted to have each of the four wings move like it does in the true game but Im noticing it to be quite complicated even when I write it down on paper. Because of the fact that the wings will be moving will require a Gyro. Which adds weight as well as takes power to move it. Also Ill have the over all power of the engine coming from that same wing. I havent decided how or what im going to do/use to connect the wings yet because I need the frameto be strong and I also need the connector to be strong to beable to take the power of the engine the weight as well as all the G forces. I have no problem when it comes to finding room I mean its a 3 ft pelican thats about 2 ft tall and 1.5 feet wing (including semi attached wings). Im just trying to find the best way to do everything. Once hardened and all that good stuff the structure i believe will be extremely solid.

A simple gyro is a single chip with a weight of nothing ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11028 ).
Actually what is really about to provide weight are the engines and the batteries. About the moving wings, which are made so to provide stabilization, you need to make them hinged (I guess you already know) and I think you won't need a gyro for each wing but maybe you will need a servo to make them rotate.
Just a small note on RC: don't worry, is the easiest part, a couple of RF transceivers or, if you like, a wify chip connected to the UAV.
PS:please forgive my terrible english.

A simple gyro is a single chip with a weight of nothing ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11028 ).
Actually what is really about to provide weight are the engines and the batteries. About the moving wings, which are made so to provide stabilization, you need to make them hinged (I guess you already know) and I think you won't need a gyro for each wing but maybe you will need a servo to make them rotate.
Just a small note on RC: don't worry, is the easiest part, a couple of RF transceivers or, if you like, a wify chip connected to the UAV.
PS:please forgive my terrible english.

Its ight man. And Ill probably go look into buying a few servos and stuff this weekend if i have time. Im just not sure how Im going to connect everything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back