TurboCharizard's Halo Reach CQB Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using an old Pfaff hobbylock 788. Its a super solid old machine. I'm not sure they sell it anymore but Pfaff is a reliable brand. And its not too complicated to thread or fix.. As far as sergers go.
So happy to see my old thread is useful for you XD I'm so close to getting that video tut done but life is always getting in the way.
Good luck with your suit!

Oo dang an under suit build now? Now this is defiantly something I’m gonna take notes on!

I think that the 405th should have a policy now for how much of a Spartans butt is allowed in one photo....there was a gratuitous amount of Turbo butt in some of those and it can be quite disturbing for some of our younger audiences

Turbos butt?????..........
giphy-tumblr.gif

That must have been uncomfortable. The only image that keeps popping up in my head is the wedgie that would happen from being wrapped up like that.
Ugh. The mental image has now been burned into my mind.

Wearing the biking pants definitely saved the wedgie, but getting cut free of the tape and tight clothes, that was an interesting feeling. I'd not recommend doing what I did in heat above 25°C, there was a fan blowing on me and a water bottle on hand but it got real toasty real quick.

Turbos butt?????..........View attachment 257079

;)

Oo dang an under suit build now? Now this is defiantly something I’m gonna take notes on!

I think that the 405th should have a policy now for how much of a Spartans butt is allowed in one photo....there was a gratuitous amount of Turbo butt in some of those and it can be quite disturbing for some of our younger audiences

It's a comprehensive build good sir, anything and everything that's part of a Spartan III wardrobe and loadout is free game in this thread.

I played a lot of hockey and did a lot of skiing to get that butt and you folks better bloody well like it!

I've been using an old Pfaff hobbylock 788. Its a super solid old machine. I'm not sure they sell it anymore but Pfaff is a reliable brand. And its not too complicated to thread or fix.. As far as sergers go.
So happy to see my old thread is useful for you XD I'm so close to getting that video tut done but life is always getting in the way.
Good luck with your suit!

Thanks for the tip on Pfaff, there's a local supplier that stocks their machines and although not the same model I might be able to get something similar to the 788 in the same price range.

Prefacing this post with a disclaimer that this may not necessarily be the best solution to making visors but it is the process I've come up with that'll work on nearly any shape of visor and is relatively quick, dirty and can be done with commonly available materials since the printed parts and the resins are just nice to haves. Visibility isn't crystal clear but it's much better than my previous attempt and is much cleaner than using the tint film on the complex curves.

To start the visor process I modeled the exact form that I needed to match the helmet by creating a Patch surface leading from the internal edges where the visor would be mounted. This zero thickness patch was then manipulated to add the curvature required, was thickened and prepared for printing. Before cleanup begun I did a test fit to make sure that there was no warping or deforming in the printing process, everything checked out and I moved onto a quick 80 grit cleanup with the mouse sander. From there I mixed up a small batch of XTC3D for gap filling and to create a hard glossy surface that would create a cleaner vacuum pull. If you don't have access to a 3D printer you could sculpt or carve out a vacuum buck as well, it'd just take a different skill set to pull off and I'm super not great at sculpting.
2018-05-22.png DSC_1186.JPG DSC_1156.JPG DSC_1157.JPG DSC_1158.jpg

For the vacuum former effectively all you need is heat source, a vacuum and some sort of nozzle for the vacuum to heat and shape a sheet of 1/32" PETG. For the heat source I used a toaster oven that was left in the local free stuff pile that appears at the end of the month when people are moving. The vacuum was my trusty ShopVac. For a nozzle I built a quick box using 1/4" MDF, hardboard and pegboard the same size as the maximum area of the toaster oven. To hold the PETG sheet in place in the oven I built a quick frame using hardboard and a system of bulldog clips since both would be safe heated to the temperatures in the oven.
DSC_1136.JPG

Since I was being cheap with filament I only printed the visor buck 2mm thick and filled in the back of the buck using scrap XPS foam carved to a rough shape. The chunks were glued together with Spray Super 77 clamped together with a standard weight toolbox and left to cure. Once the spray adhesive was set the backing shape was cut using a hot wire foam cutter. Gaps were then plugged with air-dry clay to help reduce the volume the vacuum had to pull which will result in a closer fit to the buck.
DSC_1228.JPG DSC_1230.JPG DSC_1229.JPG DSC_1232.JPG DSC_1265.JPG

I got plenty of practice vacuum forming for this project, all said and done I pulled six different visors. Plenty of different combinations of heat, time and surface coatings. The one lesson to pass on for this is to treat it like a BBQ, low and slow. Get to the transition temperature of the plastic and let it sit there for a bit and watch for the droop.

I've tried a few different surface coatings and as I prefaced the post with, this is the easiest by far I've tried. The following 12 images are the test application of Krylon Looking Glass Silver, there is also apparently a gold version which could work well for Mister Chief but I had this in a local store and thought it was worth a shot. Light coats one minute apart and then fully set within ten minutes is what the label says, this was sprayed on in 32°C temperature so times were slightly reduced. The first image in each pass set is the interior as sprayed, the second is held up with a background ~20ft away set as the camera focus and the third is a side on shot to check opacity with a darker background which is more illuminated than the normal interior of a helmet. Three passes on the test piece seemed like the magic number for visibility through and selectivity of the outside surface.

First Pass
1-1.jpg 1-2.jpg 1-3.jpg
Second Pass
2-1.jpg 2-2.jpg 2-3.jpg
Third Pass
3-1.jpg 3-2.jpg 3-3.jpg
Fourth Pass
4-1.jpg 4-2.jpg 4-3.jpg

I'm a sucker for yellows and oranges so I used a Tamiya TS73 Clear Orange Spray Lacquer in three light coats and let cure for 24 hours and then added three coats of the Looking Glass Silver. The overall colour is more consistent with less grain to it and the visibility is much better. It's not great in the picture here because the visor isn't yet fitted but in the dark of a helmet to the light of the outside, everything is awesome. The last image is what I was dealing with for the test fitting looking at the same wall with the assistance of contrast from inside the helmet darkness.
37152217_10160470586810431_3140785605038833664_n.jpg DSC_1401.JPG DSC_1402.JPG DSC_1403.JPG

I'll likely be looking for better procedures to improve on the build but this will work for the next couple of conventions.

So on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the viability through the visor after this process? Once I have my Emile visor done, using the a fore mentioned tint film would be impossible. It has too many angles and crevasse.

So on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the viability through the visor after this process? Once I have my Emile visor done, using the a fore mentioned tint film would be impossible. It has too many angles and crevasse.

Silhouettes past 25' is the easiest way to describe it. For Emile's silver and gold you could probably also just use the Krylon Looking Glass products and not have to worry about two different paint types mixing. There was a noticeable decrease in clarity by combining the Tamiya lacquer and the Krylon but overall it's manageable and better than my ODST or my previous CQB visor.

Prefacing this post with a disclaimer that this may not necessarily be the best solution to making visors but it is the process I've come up with that'll work on nearly any shape of visor and is relatively quick, dirty and can be done with commonly available materials since the printed parts and the resins are just nice to haves. Visibility isn't crystal clear but it's much better than my previous attempt and is much cleaner than using the tint film on the complex curves.

To start the visor process I modeled the exact form that I needed to match the helmet by creating a Patch surface leading from the internal edges where the visor would be mounted. This zero thickness patch was then manipulated to add the curvature required, was thickened and prepared for printing. Before cleanup begun I did a test fit to make sure that there was no warping or deforming in the printing process, everything checked out and I moved onto a quick 80 grit cleanup with the mouse sander. From there I mixed up a small batch of XTC3D for gap filling and to create a hard glossy surface that would create a cleaner vacuum pull. If you don't have access to a 3D printer you could sculpt or carve out a vacuum buck as well, it'd just take a different skill set to pull off and I'm super not great at sculpting.
View attachment 257281 View attachment 257286 View attachment 257282 View attachment 257283 View attachment 257285

For the vacuum former effectively all you need is heat source, a vacuum and some sort of nozzle for the vacuum to heat and shape a sheet of 1/32" PETG. For the heat source I used a toaster oven that was left in the local free stuff pile that appears at the end of the month when people are moving. The vacuum was my trusty ShopVac. For a nozzle I built a quick box using 1/4" MDF, hardboard and pegboard the same size as the maximum area of the toaster oven. To hold the PETG sheet in place in the oven I built a quick frame using hardboard and a system of bulldog clips since both would be safe heated to the temperatures in the oven.
View attachment 257287

Since I was being cheap with filament I only printed the visor buck 2mm thick and filled in the back of the buck using scrap XPS foam carved to a rough shape. The chunks were glued together with Spray Super 77 clamped together with a standard weight toolbox and left to cure. Once the spray adhesive was set the backing shape was cut using a hot wire foam cutter. Gaps were then plugged with air-dry clay to help reduce the volume the vacuum had to pull which will result in a closer fit to the buck.
View attachment 257288 View attachment 257290 View attachment 257289 View attachment 257292 View attachment 257293

I got plenty of practice vacuum forming for this project, all said and done I pulled six different visors. Plenty of different combinations of heat, time and surface coatings. The one lesson to pass on for this is to treat it like a BBQ, low and slow. Get to the transition temperature of the plastic and let it sit there for a bit and watch for the droop.

I've tried a few different surface coatings and as I prefaced the post with, this is the easiest by far I've tried. The following 12 images are the test application of Krylon Looking Glass Silver, there is also apparently a gold version which could work well for Mister Chief but I had this in a local store and thought it was worth a shot. Light coats one minute apart and then fully set within ten minutes is what the label says, this was sprayed on in 32°C temperature so times were slightly reduced. The first image in each pass set is the interior as sprayed, the second is held up with a background ~20ft away set as the camera focus and the third is a side on shot to check opacity with a darker background which is more illuminated than the normal interior of a helmet. Three passes on the test piece seemed like the magic number for visibility through and selectivity of the outside surface.

First Pass
View attachment 257294 View attachment 257295 View attachment 257296
Second Pass
View attachment 257297 View attachment 257298 View attachment 257299
Third Pass
View attachment 257300 View attachment 257301 View attachment 257302
Fourth Pass
View attachment 257303 View attachment 257304 View attachment 257305

I'm a sucker for yellows and oranges so I used a Tamiya TS73 Clear Orange Spray Lacquer in three light coats and let cure for 24 hours and then added three coats of the Looking Glass Silver. The overall colour is more consistent with less grain to it and the visibility is much better. It's not great in the picture here because the visor isn't yet fitted but in the dark of a helmet to the light of the outside, everything is awesome. The last image is what I was dealing with for the test fitting looking at the same wall with the assistance of contrast from inside the helmet darkness.
View attachment 257306 View attachment 257307 View attachment 257308 View attachment 257309

I'll likely be looking for better procedures to improve on the build but this will work for the next couple of conventions.
Just curious, why didn’t you try tinting the visor with dye? I think tinting with paint could get tricky. Looks good tho..... I know it’s hard to get good pictures of visors

How do you tint w/ dye?

You can use a synthetics fabric dye such as iDye Poly or Rit DyeMore in a hot dye bath.

Just curious, why didn’t you try tinting the visor with dye? I think tinting with paint could get tricky. Looks good tho..... I know it’s hard to get good pictures of visors

Honestly due to the fact that I had the lacquer on the supply shelf and have used it or similar on multiple projects before (NCR Ranger, Plasma Pistol, Fuel Rod Cannon, ODST). If I had a batch of visors I'd go for the dye route but doing one or two at a time as experimental pieces the spray lacquer is more cost effective since I've had that one $8 can of orange for two years.

If you're interested in seeing what a dyed visor looks like with the Looking Glass I could give that a spin later on.

You can use a synthetics fabric dye such as iDye Poly or Rit PDyeMore in a hot dye bath.

Honestly due to the fact that I had the lacquer on the supply shelf and have used it or similar on multiple projects before (NCR Ranger, Plasma Pistol, Fuel Rod Cannon, ODST). If I had a batch of visors I'd go for the dye route but doing one or two at a time as experimental pieces the spray lacquer is more cost effective since I've had that one $8 can of orange for two years.

If you're interested in seeing what a dyed visor looks like with the Looking Glass I could give that a spin later on.

I found a YouTube video on this and they even sell it in a craft store near me. Wish they had a gold or silver color though......lots of natural colors but no metallic colors. So I think that I can dye the whole visor and use the tint film on select areas.

I found a YouTube video on this and they even sell it in a craft store near me. Wish they had a gold or silver color though......lots of natural colors but no metallic colors. So I think that I can dye the whole visor and use the tint film on select areas.

Yeah, you can get pretty much any primary or secondary colour in Rit and iDye has a few wacky other colours but no metallic due to the fact that Rit is usually a liquid and iDye is a powder.

You can use a synthetics fabric dye such as iDye Poly or Rit DyeMore in a hot dye bath.

Dirtdives The poly tint with the looking glass is what I used on my Warmaster helm. Came out ok..... not perfect but I’m sure someone could do better with it then I did. It’s definetly somethingni have to play with to get right

Last edited:
I'm seeing a better review track record from iDye than Rit.....what's your take on either of them?

Unfortunately I don't have a great comparison for how they work on the same materials, I've never used the same material and different dye supplier combination before.

I used iDye Poly for the Soldier 76 visor and it worked out fairly well in my opinion. This was fiddling around with clear Worbla and poly dyes just to see how it'd work, Worbla isn't extruded with the same tolerances as PETG and there's noticeable pitting and creases where dyes can settle and collect so I'd give it a thumbs up if that's what you have on hand and are in a pinch otherwise look to formed PETG for a more consistent texture across the piece. The important thing is to keep an eye on the temperature and make sure that the post dye rinse is done several times so it doesn't bleed off excess.
cropped.jpg

I've only used Rit DyeMore for fabrics because a two pack of iDye pouches is half the cost of a Rit bottle locally so if there's an iDye in the right colour I usually go for that.

Dirtdives The poly tint with the looking glass is what I used on my Warmaster helm. Came out ok..... not perfect but I’m sure someone could do better with it then I did. It’s definetly somethingni have to play with to get right

Do you have any progress photos from the process? That could be a fun reference.

Do you have any progress photos from the process? That could be a fun reference.
All i have really is the final result. My forming buck could have been and improved and my tinting could have been a little lighter. Just little things..... it’s definitely something that will take some trial and error to perfect
E30BE4F4-8151-4075-AB5C-2E2404561CA5.jpeg 6B8A142E-CD01-499A-B880-1754FB1C973A.jpeg
It looks better in person. Pictures just don’t capture the full effect

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back