TurboCharizard's Halo Reach CQB Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy there IR.....its just a name......

To be honest our HvZ squad is called "The Irregulars" because of our interesting weapons and tactics.

Akimbo rapid fire blasters only, each person has a speaker cranked with music, bright colours for maximum recognisability and only full sprint charges against hordes. If you're not playing run and gun you're not any fun.
1254_10156611046650431_5796555539416281894_n.jpg

Image above is the time we taped a VIP to a tree and used him as bait to draw in more zombies to inflate our KDR.
12079142_10153681627362372_5487388314702264489_n.jpg

That time we decided to camp outside the zombie respawn point and taunt "ONE V ONE ME SCRUB"
12033077_10153681466117372_5486773472049238290_n.jpg

When we decided we wanted to be in a generic alt rock band.

But......did any one but me catch........
We will fix this. .
..????????

Sir PerniciousDuke, care to comment on your elevated status? How do you feel about becoming the new RXO? And what are your aspirations for the future? Inquiring Artful minds would love to sink their Fangs in to your thoughts..............

Who likes updates with lots of pictures?

The model is at the 95% point right now, all that's needed is to have the drawer slide arrive in the mail so that can be added in with exact dimensions and a few cable channels for LEDs. Pictures? Pictures.
M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 6.png

M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 1.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 2.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 3.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 4.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 5.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 7.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 8.png M45 Tactical Shotgun v51 9.png

I'm getting noticeably quicker overall at putting designs together which is a bonus. All this was probably 11 hours work, with four of them today derping around and talking with people on Twitch. There might be a few more details to add on the outer shell but my eyes are feeling a bit rectangular after the last little bit of working on the M45. If anyone can spot details that are missing (aside from the flashlight not being mounted on) it'd be much appreciated.

Question for the crowd, is Nifegun.com down for good or am I unlucky and only go searching for it when it's in maintenance? I had to do some not so tricky math begrudgingly because it was down but oh well, back again with a prop that's taller than Mrs. Turbo.

GravityHammerVector.png

I spent a bit of time fiddling around in Sketchup to make a pattern to work off of while building this up with foam and PVC. There's a convenient section where I can bury a battery pack and run cables from a work box to LEDs that are highlighted below.
Gravity Hammer Lighting.png

Since symmetry will bother me if it's off, I'll be 3D printing some of the greeblies just so that they're uniform across both sides of the hammer.

I'll be doing a build guide and pattern pack for this eventually so keep an eye out for that if you're interested in making your own. I'll be posting progress photos here as always so expect to see more of this as the week goes on.

Today was a day of very precise measuring.
DSC_0948.JPG

I'm used to playing the game of design all the patterns off of a form/myself/clothing so this is definitely a treat to work with all the fine files in The Armoury. To properly represent them I jumped into Armorsmith to first adjust my avatar (checking that nothing had changed since Christmas in the belly region, the gym and leg day is showing though).
Untitled.png

Long drives let me be a dope and get crazy ideas. Because of a solo 4 hour round trip last weekend I have been researching cost-effective methods of 3D scanning so that I can get a more accurate version of me for a dressmaker dummy but Armorsmith being able to output .obj files seems like an option for the meantime... Maybe send it to Fusion, make cross sections and then print to make an EVA form. Something like the second picture but more foam bits instead of meat bits.
Untitled1.png MRI-body1.jpg

Things are scaled, being the lazy person I am I only used one of each of the mirror-symmetrical items on the avatar and am calling it good. To the pep masters out there, there's no intersection of parts with the avatar and I'll be adding 5% for foam thickness, is there anything stupid simple I may be forgetting before hitting print on a bunch of bits?
Untitled2.png

As a bit of a side update I'm thinking I have some wonky Nvidia driver settings or my graphics card is on the way out because Fusion 360 rendering and touching things wrong in Armorsmith have been doing terrible things to my computer. It might be time to back everything up and do some deep cleaning.

If you want the avatar fully clothed... click on an armor piece, scroll on the right side description box. One should say, "Mirror = False" ... make it say true or check the box or something, things happen.

Looking great on the scaling.

Does that mirror use the displacement between the original attachment point or is it a case of translating and rotating pieces individually?

Does that mirror use the displacement between the original attachment point or is it a case of translating and rotating pieces individually?

Yes. The avatars limbs are mirrored too so however you placed it on one side is exactly a mirror on the other. The only thing to note is to then edit the rotation or anything you'll have to click the original one and it will edit both in real time. The mirror is not selectable.

Today is the day that the knife touched foam. I dusted off my laptop, loaded a bunch of files onto a memory stick and got to work.
DSC_0949.JPG

I wanted to keep everything somewhat organized so I went though, matched up all the parts and labelled everything so I could quickly reference the cut out bits if needed.
DSC_0950.JPG DSC_0951.JPG

This is the +5% boot and I'm not sure if I'm happy with how oversized it is. I might make another at normal scale or slightly scaled down but this was a good first crack at the boot which helped me figure out where more bevels needed to be added to help shape the toecap and side panels.
DSC_0952.JPG

Once I've finished off a shin piece I'll see if the slightly oversized boot is what I want. Worst case I'll just be making another with better seams than this which was jammed together for the most part and will need a fair bit of seam blending and cleanup work. What's the first thoughts of the hivemind? Big boots for butt-kicking or a closer fit for sake of comfort?

Can we see it in comparison to something else, like your leg? If you put your foot in the real boot and showed a further away shot we'd have a good idea of the scale.

Also are you going to play H5 with us tonight or tomorrow?

Can we see it in comparison to something else, like your leg? If you put your foot in the real boot and showed a further away shot we'd have a good idea of the scale.

Shazam. With the boot alongside you can see there's about 2" extra internally in length (10mm EVA ~1/2" and there's 3" with the heel of each being level. The boot slides in okay but will need to be padded to stop from slipping from side to side. The side on shows a generic and beat up boot cut pant leg over the boot that I was planning on using as the core.
DSC_0953.JPG DSC_0954.JPG DSC_0956.JPG

Also are you going to play H5 with us tonight or tomorrow?
I'd have to go get an XBone and H5 so put me down as a probably not. Steam and BNet are my only real online game type things right now unfortunately.

I dont think it's too big. One thing I noticed when I was doing mine..Those full size statues, like batman or assassins creed at nerdy stores.. the coolest ones I noticed have oversized feet. That "larger than life" aspect really does a lot for a suit like this. So long as your movement is obstructed too much.

Gravemind says: a bit smaller. I think it could fit a little nicer.

Nice job on the grav hammer templates and scaling.

One tip i should share is using a Dremel sanding for all your external edges. Not seam lines, but where any foam edges are bare. This is just something i have been doing, and it gives each 90' corner a chamfered edge, and makes the part look like it was manufactured. I use the crap outta my Dremel, and it yields some nice results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back