Tutorial: How To Make Good Folds For Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ral Partha said:
Did you even read this thread? The answer to your question is on the first page. Read all the posts on the first page.

Too bad that's not what I'm asking. That is telling me which direction they are folded. I want to know how to tell which one is which. When you print a .pdo, it's all lines. It all looks the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can set how the lines look or you can set the line colors so you just need to remember which color is for valley folds and which is mountain.

Iceman29 said:
No, you fold Valley Folds up so that it looks like a valley ( it slopes down)
Mountain Folds go down because they form a mountain shape
Just look here
Mountain folds are in Black
Valley Folds are in Red
6.jpg
which lines are black or red
(._ lines =red or black

You can use a glass cutter to roll over the lines to get sharp bends. Do it over a sheet of mat board or thick stock card. Or on top of a phone book

tenacioust183 said:
im so confused without the pictures

Don't worry there coming, I'm just having some minor problems with my camera right now. They should be up later today or even tomorrow.

Sorry for the wait everyone! :(

Iceman29 said:
Don't worry there coming, I'm just having some minor problems with my camera right now. They should be up later today or even tomorrow.

Sorry for the wait everyone! :(

ugh, can someone please put up some pics
i need to noe which are each folds

Dude, really good tutorial... I didn't even knew how to start folding when i started cutting...
About the two pens, i used a pencil instead of the black... And i guess it does the same thing, if you have it sharp enuf... =]

Ice, thanks for the great tut, I used the pen method on regular paper to get used to the folds.

I have all the pieces printed out on cardstock, but am still working with regular paper to get used to the folding and assembly. The pics here definitely help, as well as all the suggestions from those who are experienced.
2 questions (1 on topic, 1 related to the forum) sorry, but hoping to kill 2 grunts with one Griffball :p

One (related to forum): I have read the other stickies, but it is more a precise question. I have tons of - brand name "The Original Super Glue" - does that work well with the cardstock? Basically, I want to try and shy away from the Elmer's multi-purpose glue, and don't have a hot glue gun...as of yet :D

Two: Regarding a specific fold, it is on the Helmet from Frizzelfry's sticky Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor. Forgive me if I get the creator wrong, I am new here and not sure who's work is who's most of the time, but I think it is JediFraz's pdo file, (at least that is who the thanks was for in the paragraph above it). Regarding fold #35, there is a cut line and a Mountain fold right next to each other on the same piece. I know to cut the solid line, but the scaling pretty much has both line almost on top of each other. Any suggestions, should I just cut the solid line, and then use electrical tape on the inside to hold it, because there will be no way to make the fold with less than 1/32" of paper.

EDIT: OK, I found the answer to both of these I think, at least the glue one in the photo gallery of all places. As for the tight folds, I think I will try to just use electrical tape on them, it is only a few areas I have noticed this issue on my print outs.

and now for my bit of Caboosisms (Sarcasms :p )
What if I want to fold the paper sideways?

------------------- Mountain fold

__ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ Valley fold.

Same length repeated lines is mountain, long then thin lines is valley.

hey guys, im pretty new to pep, but on having attempted my first helm just the other day, i used the knife-scoring technique, and have a suggestion. sorry if its already been posted, i dont have much time to go through the 7 pages of replies here

i found that when scoring valley folds, folding cleanly was made difficult, because you've (gently and ever so slightly) cut into the surface of the cardstock, thus creating edges along the cut itself. when you fold the card upwards in valley fashion, those edges butt up against each other, which makes an unclean fold and - to some extent - influences the fit of pieces. i tried folding it as a mountain fold first to crease the paper, before folding it upwards, but that didnt make much difference to the cleanliness of the fold.

so, i have a suggestion (for those of you who want to take it on board, again, im new to this so its not like i know much about the stuff) - if you have access to a light box/table, then you could just as easily flip the pieces over and score as normal on the valley folds, with the mountain folds being scored as normal on the printed side. this lends itself to a more accurate fold, and a more accurate pep model in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back